HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
Mini-Review
Double Horse 9053 Volitation 26" Helicopter

Hey guys,
This is just a short review of the R/C Helicopter that I received from X-Heli just the other day. The service was much better than I had expected, and I took my chances despite what people said about X-Heli being a terrible company. It was a low $55 plus $14 for shipping (that was a bit uncalled for because I live pretty close to the company's warehouse). The 9053 Double Horse arrived in just 2 days and I'm very impressed. The helicopter is nicely built with some pretty cheap and light weight parts, but that's great for easy flying. This is the first R/C helicopter I have purchased. It flies great indoors and out, but outdoors is recommended because if there are any obstructions, parts are very easy to break, but cheap to replace. The Double Horse 9053 not only performs great reaching heights of over 300ft., but it looks really nice. I do recommend this as a starter helicopter! It's 26" fuselage length is gigantic and really turns heads when flying at school fields or parks. I've faced some pretty hard crashes that could have done more damage then it did. Despite the thin plastic blades, after 3 wall crashes and 2 outdoors, the only problems are the balance bar bent and the left B blade has a slight uplift on it. For a newbie in heli's, I've already fallen in love with the hobby and this really is a must-buy for beginners. Don't spend money on micro Havoc-Heli's. These are true quality helicopters for the money at least. For those of you who have flown Heli's for a long time, I really don't recommend this as an add on but if you have a collection and go for bargain prices, go for this. Many people who order from X-Heli have problems, but it is usually because they are out of the United States. If you aren't, I wouldn't recommend buying from this dealer. Anyway, soon enough I will attach some pictures of the Double Horse 9053 in and out of flight.
Happy Flying,
HeliAddict352
HeliAddict352 is offline Find More Posts by HeliAddict352
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2010, 04:07 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
I really like the paint job on this one. Much better than full yellow or red.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old May 20, 2010, 09:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
655 Posts
Your review is pretty accurate. I have one of those also - I was especially curious about its size and low price. It is indeed build pretty well and its size makes it a lot of fun. My biggest gripe about this helicopter is the non-standard controller. Throttle is the left stick, and rudder and direction is the right stick. That takes getting used to. Also, those large rotor blades are very close to eachother and I'm expecting blade strikes to be common. Make sure the rotor blades are tight enough in the grips.

I've ordered over 20 helicopters from XHeli and have never had any issues.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Last edited by Technica; May 20, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:44 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Where did you get this one?
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:50 AM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
I just got this one yesterday from XHeli. The first 5 minutes of flight were quite impressive given the size and detail for an "out of the box" test run before setting it aside for a full charge. After two hours, I assumed I would be back in action but dissapointed to find I can't get the gyro to lock after repeated attempts ensure to power on the remote first, then the bird. The safety feature won't allow the motor to engage until this occurs. Several blogs have noted similar issues for this model attributed to everything from the ESC failing to the battery not actually taking a charge (although the LED indicates "full charge").. I've put an email into XHeli for guidance/replacement and will update the post once I hear.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The age old "you get what you pay for" may be the case here for these large electronic coaxials...
FCRC is offline Find More Posts by FCRC
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:29 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
At that price, I would have save more and buy an Esky.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:47 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
i have this heli and it's ok for beginners i think.
i have one problem: when starting it and lift it a few centimeters for hovering is always going backwards why?
i moved the battery in front as far as i can but still the same, also the triming doesn't solve it....
i am sure this is a balance problem, but how to solve this?
thank you!
christty31 is offline Find More Posts by christty31
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
You're on the right track, it's tail-heavy a bit still. If all else fails, tape a coin under the nose.

But if you search this copter, it's seldom 'fixed', more ofter discarded, along with the infamous "33Cm Metal Heli" sold on ebay at a similar price. Pure Poocopter, IMHO.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Hey everyone. Before I get started, I'll apologize right off the get go if my terminology is wrong. This is my first heli I've purchased and so far I like it a lot. However, I was flying it yesterday and out of no where, it started wobbling and started coming down really fast. I was able to land it (not crash it) and when I looked at it I saw that one of the weights on the balancer sheared off. Since the paperwork that came with the heli was transferred from Chinese, it's very hard to understand it. I went to a couple local hobby stores near me and none of them knew how to replace the balancer nor knew which part would replace the balancer. If anyone can help, I'd be greatly appreciative of it. Here is a picture of my heli to help out.
00z00 is offline Find More Posts by 00z00
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Get them while you can, they're on clearance pricing.

I think these are haunted copters. I had a slightly different one, and you've described its actions.

It's a CopterGeist.

There's a thread on a 6020-1 flybar problem, I posted pics of an install, and all are similar. A search on that few words should find it.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Jun 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:55 AM
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
9053 heli

HI, IM NEW IN THE FAMILY OF HELI RIDERS AND THE 9053 HELI IS MY FIRST!! IT CAN TAKE AN AWFUL BEATEN! LOL IM SURE ILL HAVE MORE FUN WHEN I CAN KEEP IT IN THE AIR LONGER. THE WIND DOES MAKE IT DIFFICULT! AND IT DOES NOT HOVER VERY WELL, & THE RESPOND IS KINDA SLOW WHICH ITS NOT COOL BECAUSE THAT CAN BE DANGEROUS. BUT I REAL TROOPER, TO GET MYSELF FAMILIAR WITH FLYING. AND A GREAT PRACTICE ON CLIMBING TALL ASS TREES! LOL BUT I DO HAVE QUESTIONS! THE BALANCE BAR BENDS EASILY DUE TO THE COLLAPSING BLADES IN LOW THROTTLE, DO HAVE TO REPLACE IT EVERY TIME IT BENDS? CAN I JUST CAREFULLY ALIGN IT AND WOULD IT STILL EFFECT THE FLITE? WHEN DO I KNOW WHEN TO CHANGE THE BLADES? I DO HAVE SCUFFS! ALL AROUND THE BLADES BECAUSE OF THE BALANCE BAR. CAN WE REPLACE THE 27MHZ TRAN/RECEIVER AND SPEED CONTROLLER? WOULD THAT IMPROVE RESPONSE? THANK YOU

parts for 9053 for cheap!! in e-bay store "sellsincerely"
unicron69 is offline Find More Posts by unicron69
Last edited by unicron69; Jul 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: add on
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:53 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00z00 View Post
Hey everyone. Before I get started, I'll apologize right off the get go if my terminology is wrong. This is my first heli I've purchased and so far I like it a lot. However, I was flying it yesterday and out of no where, it started wobbling and started coming down really fast. I was able to land it (not crash it) and when I looked at it I saw that one of the weights on the balancer sheared off. Since the paperwork that came with the heli was transferred from Chinese, it's very hard to understand it. I went to a couple local hobby stores near me and none of them knew how to replace the balancer nor knew which part would replace the balancer. If anyone can help, I'd be greatly appreciative of it.
Spare parts are readily available via eBay. Try this link for one supplier (there are many others): http://stores.ebay.com.au/sellsincer..._sidZ896818812
The part number of the balance bar is 9053-01. A list of parts and numbers came with your chopper when you bought it.

I've had numerous crashes, even wrapped the balance weights around the lower rotor several times. Took it off, straightened it and stuck it back on, no problems. The main trouble I have with this chopper is that when it's at altitude I have very little control over forward/backwards movement. Even in the slightest breeze it's difficult to fly against the wind. As a carrier for a small video system it's great.

For practice I bought the little Double Horse 9098 chopper. Same controls, same functions, but 1/3 the size, infra red and indoors only. It's a very elegant little flyer, looks like the 9053 had pups.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:17 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
I don't know if you are familiar with coaxial heli, but even the smallest breeze, like you, will make the heli drift. There always some wind because of the hot/cold air mixture. When theres too much wind, I just hover and FF at about 15cm from the ground.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:30 PM
New York
Joined Aug 2010
1 Posts
@smokes...

How do you remove and replace the balance bar? Mine is pretty well bent up.

I also notice with the 9053, there is very little you can do to control forward and reverse motion.
dakkArduino is offline Find More Posts by dakkArduino
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1 Posts
9053 - Balance bar question

I just picked up my very first helicopter. On my very first flight I was doing just fine and then suddenly the copter made a noise like something hit the blade and it came crashing down. Upon inspection I noticed the balance bar was bent downward and probably got caught in the blades. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Being a newbie, I question how it's possible for this to happen. One would think the proper design of a helicopter would prevent this from happening.

Dale
dbkguy is offline Find More Posts by dbkguy