SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2015, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by fluffybunny
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Aug 2014
59 Posts
Discussion
would like to build an airliner..questions

Hey guys, I have been lurking on this airliner forum ever since I first got started with RC planes about a year ago. I finally am at a point where I have space, and enough knowlage of the basics to start thinking about building a airliner. I have a few questions though.

Demondriver I love your build techniques and I have watched quite a few of your videos, amazing work on your planes. I believe you are using EP foam for the plane but what exactly is EP foam? and where can I source this foam? Is it something I can get online? Something I can scrounge up? Any advice would be awesome!

The club field I fly from is grass so that is a concern for me on building airliners, I might not be able to go as scale as I would like on gear/wheel choices but what experience does everyone have with flying off grass? Our grass is normally trimmed very low but still it is a concern and there are some bumps and rolls in the grass as well.

Transportation/scale. I like flying planes in the 60ish inch wingspan and would like to go bigger if possible but my transportation will probably be my limiting factor. Has anyone built any planes that come apart for transportation? I know wings can come off and thats pretty easy but what about the fuse coming apart? Ideally I would like a plane in the 80inch wingspan area I can move those in 1 peice with a little work but I would imagine the fuse would be just as long. any insight into building techniques or even links to some build logs with planes that come apart would be a big help.

Flying these planes. I have never flown an EDF before and honestly before I maidened a plane of this size/scale/cost to build/time to build etc I would like to fly a ARF or prebuilt foam plane first, does anyone have any recommendations for a "trainer" airliner? It might not exist in a airliner per say but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks guys for your advice, I have enjoyed reading through everyones build logs on here and looking forward to perhaps some day soon building my own!
fluffybunny is offline Find More Posts by fluffybunny
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by Ben_E
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post

Flying these planes. I have never flown an EDF before and honestly before I maidened a plane of this size/scale/cost to build/time to build etc I would like to fly a ARF or prebuilt foam plane first, does anyone have any recommendations for a "trainer" airliner? It might not exist in a airliner per say but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to airlinerjockeys corner on the web

Flying EDF is slightly different from propeller... If you can get hold of the discontinued E-flite airliner, that's a good place to start. EDF airliners and grass-field is not very compatible. Airliners have small wheels. Small wheels and grass does not work well together...

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
I make stuff
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
1,064 Posts
The best advice I can give is start small, then work up to your 80"+ masterpiece. Check hobbyking, nitroplanes, etc for smaller, cheaper EDFs to get the basics down. Sometimes they even have airliners as ARF or RTFs as well. The A320 and A380 come to mind, not sure if they're still available.

As far as building materials, styrofoam works great. If you're really good, you can find a bunch of it for free (try behind furniture shops or electronics stores where they store thier packing materials for pickup.) Depron is the gold-standard for constructing scale, but can be rather expensive. Blue or pink insulation foam from the big harware stores is kind of in the middle, fairly cheap, but also relatively heavy. EPP is the flexible stuff (I buy mine at Grayson Hobby online) - and might make for a good material - especially for just starting out. It takes a LOT of abuse.

Another direction you could try is balsa (think stick & tissue), several really great designers are on this site, and the build isn't any more difficult or fragile than foam - just different. If done right, they can actually take as much or more abuse than a foamy. Really!

Besides all of that, I would suggest to start with a kit (or ARF/RTF) or three instead of jumping into a completely new design. Crawl-Walk-Run.
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5