to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2014, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,012 Posts
Nice!

Another detail-oriented Freewing! Looks excellent - probably going to fly that way, too.

Happy to see this.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Aug 05, 2014, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
4,742 Posts
Wonder how long those fixed landing gear will last on grass???....hmmm...not long...lol...potential for a hotter 4s motor & handlaunching.....great feast of new models from Freewing.....looks like that fantastic plastic will be getting bent again ....sooon... Maybe potential for small retracts like on the Durafly series.....
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Aug 05, 2014, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by Sweller123
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
Wonder how long those fixed landing gear will last on grass???....hmmm...not long...lol...potential for a hotter 4s motor & handlaunching.....great feast of new models from Freewing.....looks like that fantastic plastic will be getting bent again ....sooon... Maybe potential for small retracts like on the Durafly series.....
I was really hoping that it would come with retracts. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't come with it, but we can't expect everything. I know it can be modded to have retracts, but I can't risk cutting precious foam from my planes. I'm still planning to get it once it comes out, it looks amazing
Sweller123 is offline Find More Posts by Sweller123
Last edited by Sweller123; Aug 06, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2014, 01:41 AM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweller123 View Post
I was really hoping that it would come with retracts. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't come with it, but we can't expect everything. I know it can be modded to have retracts, but I can't risk cutting precious foam from my planes. I'm still planning to get it once it comes out, it looks amazing
I like the Top Hat one..
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Aug 06, 2014, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by green_flyer
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
917 Posts
Looks so good! Damn! I may have to get this one too. 64mm is the right size for me I don't want to go any bigger.
Keep it up Freewing, here's hoping for a F15 next, maybe F14, definitely Su27, Mig 29, all in the 64mm range.
The Russians might be a bit tricky though to do with 1 fan?
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Oct 10, 2014, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by sihinch
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
530 Posts
Any flight reports?
sihinch is offline Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by flylow2011
Joined Nov 2011
1,208 Posts

this is an old model... folks.

nitroplanes used to carry many different colors of this jet.
many be this is a v-2 with new fixed landing gears ...

flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Oct 10, 2014, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by tdford
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post

this is an old model... folks.

nitroplanes used to carry many different colors of this jet.
many be this is a v-2 with new fixed landing gears ...

This is a BRAND NEW platform from Freewing....

Nitro carried a 70mm version, this is a 64mm version.

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-f-a...yal-maces-pnp/
http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-f-a...ophatters-pnp/
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
Old Oct 11, 2014, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
I've been considering the kit. I like the detail and full flying stab. It'll make a good hangar mate for the 90mm version.

I've got a nice freewing fan and 3800kV motor on 4S for a hand launch version.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by mitch 1
United States, CA, La Quinta
Joined Feb 2014
225 Posts
Just ordered!!!!

I just ordered the kit version. I called Motionrc and the gentleman said I would need 4 regular servos and 1 reverse servo all with 12" leads. I have an 80 amp esc and a crackalackin 10 blade fan/motor combo from EDF hobbies that puts out 80 amps consistent on 4s. I used the setup in the stinger 64 and it was awesome with unlimited vertical. I fly on grass mostly and the usual 64mm fixed gear usually bends up front at the nose. Looking at this design....the steering nose gear is braced to the rear. Seems this might add more reinforcement and possibly keep the front nose gear from bending backwards due to NORMAL landings in short grass. I am gonna try hand launching and grass landing to keep the landing gear healthy. The hand launches are a non-event with a decent aftermarket motor/fan on my other 64mm's. If the gear bends....I can always use another belly lander. Will be here on monday evening. Post some pics then.
One other thing...I got so tired of cramming everything into the stinger 64, I hope this has more room for electronics.
mitch 1 is offline Find More Posts by mitch 1
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch 1 View Post
I just ordered the kit version. I called Motionrc and the gentleman said I would need 4 regular servos and 1 reverse servo all with 12" leads. I have an 80 amp esc and a crackalackin 10 blade fan/motor combo from EDF hobbies that puts out 80 amps consistent on 4s. I used the setup in the stinger 64 and it was awesome with unlimited vertical. I fly on grass mostly and the usual 64mm fixed gear usually bends up front at the nose. Looking at this design....the steering nose gear is braced to the rear. Seems this might add more reinforcement and possibly keep the front nose gear from bending backwards due to NORMAL landings in short grass. I am gonna try hand launching and grass landing to keep the landing gear healthy. The hand launches are a non-event with a decent aftermarket motor/fan on my other 64mm's. If the gear bends....I can always use another belly lander. Will be here on monday evening. Post some pics then.
One other thing...I got so tired of cramming everything into the stinger 64, I hope this has more room for electronics.
Sounds like a great set up.

It looks to have a nice sized equip/batt. bay laid out similarly to the 90mm version.

Look forward to the pics.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:04 PM
Joined Feb 2014
225 Posts
Kit assembled-Ready for Maiden tomorrow!

The kit went together in about 3 hours. In true Chinese fashion, the elevator and aileron rates diagram have the elevator and ailerons mislabeled. The elevators are listed in the picture as the ailerons and vice versa. So in the table.....do you believe the aileron rates listed should be the actual aileron rates or the elevator rates I have the raptor and I know the elevator should travel at a greater distance than the ailerons in measured mm so I am using the higher mm rates listed for the elevator. I am also going to maiden with an expo of 30%. The nose gear are the first ones I have seen having an additional brace extending to the rear of the fuselage for support. I know the real F18 has this but they should really consider using this design on their other 64 and 70mm EDFs. Would make grass landings so much easier on the assembly. I will maiden on pavement first and then consider trying grass when my more convenient grass field is cut (on fridays). Will report more on build and measured servo travels after maiden.
Last edited by mitch 1; Oct 22, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:32 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch 1 View Post
The kit went together in about 3 hours. In true Chinese fashion, the elevator and aileron rates diagram have the elevator and ailerons mislabeled. The elevators are listed in the picture as the ailerons and vice versa. So in the table.....do you believe the aileron rates listed should be the actual aileron rates or the elevator rates I have the raptor and I know the elevator should travel at a greater distance than the ailerons in measured mm so I am using the higher mm rates listed for the elevator. I am also going to maiden with an expo of 30%. The nose gear are the first ones I have seen having an additional brace extending to the rear of the fuselage for support. I know the real F18 has this but they should really consider using this design on their other 64 and 70mm EDFs. Would make grass landings so much easier on the assembly. I will maiden on pavement first and then consider trying grass when my more convenient grass field is cut (on fridays). Will report more on build and measured servo travels after maiden.
Even the high elevator rates on the 90mm F/A-18 are woefully inadequate, so Im guessing that to be the case with the 64mm. Aileron rates are a bit sluggish too.

30% expo should be a good starting point.

I hope the nose gear brace actually works.

Good luck with your maiden. We look forward to your report.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2014
225 Posts
maiden hard crash but miraculously still in one piece minus LG!

I took it out for the maiden this am and had a heck of a ride. There was a crosswind of about 5 mph so not too bad. I flew at about 8am and first thing I noticed was a bit of difficulty with orientation. The sun wasn't quite high enough and I didn't put any orange tape on the bottom. I use some strips of orange duct tape on my F22 and it helps a lot. The jet went steeply up on roll out (being twitchy and a little too much elevator) and so I compensated by making my initial turn to start coming back around (a little too slowly) resulting in the jet getting a little too far away from me. My servo travel rates were a little too much with 35% expo and the jet was overly responsive. 1 minute into flight, was just starting to get a feel for it when it went out of control and over my head behind me. I turned my head and saw it heading nose first straight into the ground. I pulled back on the elevator and heard a big crunch on pavement. Amazingly, it landed completely flat on its landing gear. The landing gear completely bent and the shock knocked one of the aileron servos loose. So what caused it to go out of control look at the picture where you can see the belly and look at the cheater holes That is the metal shroud of my EDF unit which worked loose in flight I did not use any glue when I installed it. The foam piece that you screw down with the 2 screws seemed pretty tight so that's all I did to secure it. However I am using an aftermarket 3700kv in runner that puts out 80 amps continuous (with hyperion 4s 45-90C) and has much more thrust than stock. I didn't want to use glue because it is so messy trying to access the EDF if you need to. I will get some thin double sided tape and use that all around the EDF unit and foam for next time. Speaking of cheater holes, I had heard people talk about them but none of my 5 other EDFs had any. Looking at this, now I know what a cheater hole is. When I was installing and testing the unit in the fuselage, I ran up the EDF unit to full speed with the fuselage sitting on my table minus wings or landing gear. Spooled the EDF up to full speed at 80 amps and the fuselage didn't move come to find out its like a vacuum with those cheater holes and was sucking to the table

Will reattempt maiden again after fixing landing gear and more properly securing an aftermarket EDF unit with lots of thrust. Will dial back the servo throws about 1/3 and reset EXPO to about 50%. Having less servo throw and a little more expo should make it less twitchy.

Speaking of it leaping up off the runway on rollout....I had no idea where to center the elevators. My F22 requires the elevators be somewhat tilted forward to fly level. So I just guessed where these should be (my elevator sub trim was set at -10). It appears that now I might have set them a little too aggressively (leading to the jet leaping off the runway). I will also try moving the sub trim back to about -5 on the elevators. IS IT better on a maiden with a jet like the F18 to have the elevators completely centered (horizontal) on takeoff and then trim in the air OR do what I did an automatically have them with the leading edge pointed towards the ground just a tad ( a few mm's)???

To be continued.....