HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2014, 06:19 PM
Joined Sep 2014
200 Posts
Discussion
With regard to differential thrust for turning is it common

To have the Duet make right handed turns way better than left turns? I haven't really noticed this much as for the first week or so of having the plane I was flying in a vast open field. Since I've gained confidence I now fly in front the house which forces you to a lot more aware, of everything, now more so than before diff thrust.

When I turn right, bam the Duet takes a very hard crisp right turn, when doing left turn I need about 15-25 feet for the Duet to complete the left handed turn(right turn maybe 2-5 feet). If I use the elevator, which I'm forced to for left handed turns I can turn a lot better.

I've put on the landing gears and slowly gave the Duet throttle to watch engine dynamic. They(engines-Duet has two. Wing mounted puller)both engage within half a sec of each other. Help close to ears to listen to engine, nothing alarming in sound. When I fly it close to ground it goes relatively straight. I don't know if one engine is having an issue. I've tried trimming it but never noticed much.

Anyone been through this or offer some knowledge.
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Sep 2014
200 Posts
I've spent the better half of the morning trying to get this thing to fly straight as possible and to be able to take hard turns in either direction, but couldn't. I got the duet to fly pretty straight but still likes to drift a tad left. What is more concerning is taking a turn with how unaggressive it is to one side while the other turn is on a dime.

This makes me want to shy away from planes that use this method as opposed to a rudder. That delta Ray look killer but I don't want to pay a huge price for the possibility that it won't turn on a dime in both directions. There will come a time where a sharp crisp turn is needed and mentally I need to know the plane is capable of it to fly it confidently.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:38 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,443 Posts
Have a look through these threads to see if they help --

HobbyZone Duet mods

Hobbyzone duet

You could try a climb and then turn the motors off to see if the model glides straight. The model may have a natural bias to turn when flown as a glider, (warp or twist somewhere), and that could affect the power on flight as well.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 27, 2014, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2014
200 Posts
Ahhhh, thank you. Once the sun goes down and the winds calm I'll see what happens.

I love the duet, but if I had it over to do again I would had got a different plane. It was between this and the cub and I loved the way the Duet looked. Reminds me of the WW2 Mosquito which I love. I'd just rather a rudder rather than diff thrust.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Sep 2014
200 Posts
Woah... That Camera can actually be placed on the Duet??

Edit: I just ordered that camera for the Duet. Sucks it's 28 days to deliever.
Last edited by Rain1dog; Sep 27, 2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2014
200 Posts
I think the camera weighs around 3.2 ounces... I'm not sure if that's just the camera or entire package.

Anyone think the Duet can lift that weight? Is there any formula to figure out how much weight a plane can lift?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 05:03 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,810 Posts
Given that the camera is the size of your finger tip i think it's safe so say that it weighs nothing like 3.2oz. I'd guess that the postage weight including accessories and packaging etc.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Sep 27, 2014, 07:37 PM
Joined Sep 2014
200 Posts
Thanks, sorry if I come across as completely clueless, I'll get the hang of this. I had a perfect night tonight with the Duet. I have a spot in the middle of a forest of huge pine trees, a huge clearing bout the size of a football field. Those tall trees block all wind and today was a windless day to begin with. That Duet truly truly shines in those conditions. A pure joy to just fly and float around. I went thru 8 batteries in a row. I have so much fun flying.

I know this is a long shot as the Duet is not the most sought after plane, but has anyone here actually placed that little camera on the Duet? It looks like the only place for it is if the tinted plastic cover is removed. Then I got to see just how much it weighs, balancing it just right, then the question of how do I actually get the camera to stay put.
Last edited by Rain1dog; Sep 27, 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:45 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,443 Posts
Try Youtube, do a search on Hobbyzone Duet. There are quite a few videos on the model including a review, and using a camera.

The main problem with any model with a camera on board is flying smoothly, having watched one Duet video with a camera fitted, it doesn't appear to be a particularly good candidate.

There are a lot of models using the keychain '808' #16 camera, (myself included), there is also a RCGroups forum dedicated to Aerial Photography if you want to get more interested.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:19 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,810 Posts
You will always really struggle to get any acceptable quality in flight video from anything as small as the Duet. First it cant carry enough weight to take any decent camera, second as the Duat is so small and light it wont make a stable camera platform. By all means give it a go but don't set your expectations too high.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:46 PM
Joined Sep 2014
200 Posts
Thanks. I won't expect much. It's just the enthusiasm of first time. I'm saving up for the Bixler or the super cub 4 Chanel and those will be with me for a while in my learning of flight and video.