David
Techflyer is online now Find More Posts by Techflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:16 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,339 Posts
That is a weird reflection from the bottom of the wings!
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jan 13, 2014, 03:31 PM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,035 Posts
I didn't pay much attention to the reflection but I like it now that I did . Thanks for pointing that out.

I forgot to mention that I did about a 45 degree dive test in Cruise mode when there were very light winds at about 4pm and the Binary IV does not pull up at all with the 172.5mm to 173mm CG (using fingernails). It goes where I point it. Cruise mode is set for 0mm camber and trimmed for just a little faster speed than Thermal mode (not much trim).

My weight is just under 283 grams I think (I need to re-weigh it now without the dime on it which I removed a few days ago). I need to weigh it with the camera but when I have that on it should be around 300 grams. I did just ordered a bigger capacity 808 #16 V2 battery that will add another gram or two to the camera but I won't have that on often.

I wonder how much a difference weight makes though when going from 283 to 300 grams. How often will 17 grams make a difference in going up in a thermal vs only staying at the same height or dropping? I would have to know what the difference in required lift would be for the 300 gram DLG. Then I would have to know how often I get a thermal where the lift would not be enough or just barely enough for the 300 gram DLG vs the 283 gram DLG.

If it meant I could not get lift on 20% of the thermals throughout the day or that it meant the difference between a 300ft thermal vs a 600ft thermal then I would say it mattered but I doubt it makes that big of a difference (not that I know).

I tried flying inverted for a bit and noticed the DLG handled that much better than I expected it to. I figured it would be very unstable that way but it didn't seem bad. I will have to experiment some more inverted (up high of course ).
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Jan 13, 2014, 05:08 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post
I didn't pay much attention to the reflection but I like it now that I did . Thanks for pointing that out.

I forgot to mention that I did about a 45 degree dive test in Cruise mode when there were very light winds at about 4pm and the Binary IV does not pull up at all with the 172.5mm to 173mm CG (using fingernails). It goes where I point it. Cruise mode is set for 0mm camber and trimmed for just a little faster speed than Thermal mode (not much trim).

My weight is just under 283 grams I think (I need to re-weigh it now without the dime on it which I removed a few days ago). I need to weigh it with the camera but when I have that on it should be around 300 grams. I did just ordered a bigger capacity 808 #16 V2 battery that will add another gram or two to the camera but I won't have that on often.

I wonder how much a difference weight makes though when going from 283 to 300 grams. How often will 17 grams make a difference in going up in a thermal vs only staying at the same height or dropping? I would have to know what the difference in required lift would be for the 300 gram DLG. Then I would have to know how often I get a thermal where the lift would not be enough or just barely enough for the 300 gram DLG vs the 283 gram DLG.

If it meant I could not get lift on 20% of the thermals throughout the day or that it meant the difference between a 300ft thermal vs a 600ft thermal then I would say it mattered but I doubt it makes that big of a difference (not that I know).

I tried flying inverted for a bit and noticed the DLG handled that much better than I expected it to. I figured it would be very unstable that way but it didn't seem bad. I will have to experiment some more inverted (up high of course ).

Those reflections make it look like it is flapping its wings.

Once it flies inverted nicely, your trims are right on!

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jan 13, 2014, 05:59 PM
Splash down!
Joined Jul 2006
1,035 Posts
What I read about inverted flight is that it can depend on your CG and you can help determine if you are close to a neutral CG with an inverted flight. If you are nose heavy and have to compensate with up elevator then when you go inverted the trim will be the wrong way. If your CG is closer to neutral then it will be closer to no trim difference needed. I am sure there are other things that can affect that too though. I assume the wings generate much different lift when upside down because the wing shape is inverted among other things I am sure. My differential ailerons would also now be going the opposite way (More up than down). It took a little stick movement up to get it to fly straight but I don't remember how much as I was kind of busy at the time . I have have to experiment with that in the future.

I also gave aileron input left and right rocking it back and forth about 30 degrees tilt both ways. I read a post where you can make sure that aileron differential is setup correctly if the nose doesn't drop or go up when you do that. It didn't drop but just a very tiny bit after rocking it back and forth a few times. I have the DX9 set for about 45 or 48% up vs down. I think I will leave it there.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:43 PM
Splash down!
Joined Jul 2006
1,035 Posts
I added a raw video download link for the onboard camera footage just in case someone might want the original video without the youtube processing ruining the video. The only problem is the original raw video is inverted so flip your monitor over or use a viewer like VLC that has an invert video feature . I used youtube's video rotation function so the raw footage is still inverted. It is just over 500 megs.

http://l.bitcasa.com/nH_xLwj6
Old Jan 15, 2014, 05:33 PM
Splash down!
Joined Jul 2006
1,035 Posts
I will be trying to setup some elevator compensation for flaps tonight on my DX9. I have been trying to use flaps but it takes a lot of elevator input when landing with about 30 to 35 degrees of flaps. At the last moment I have to let go of the right stick to catch the DLG which causes the elevator to go back to center and the DLG moves some right before I catch it. This is my first Aileron model.

I have been reading not to use FLAP -> ELE mix and to use a SPL -> ELE user mix but I will just have to experiment because I don't understand the difference. I read that the FLAP -> ELE mix is supposedly a multi master mix but I just don't know what that really means.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:21 PM
Splash down!
Joined Jul 2006
1,035 Posts
I got my FLAP -> ELE mix working (I didn't use SPL... whatever that is). I just need to add some more as it still flares a little bit up but not much.

I was bored tonight so I decided to try to make a cardboard DLG. I folded the fuse is a way that gives it some strength. I taped the wings with another piece of cardboard you can't see that is between the wings and the fuse that gives the wings some strength to keep the wings from folding up but it doesn't help when at rest so it looks more flimsy than it is when I am holding it. If wind were under the wings it would stiffen up and get to around 8 to 10 degrees or so of dihedral total (4 to 5 per wing).

It glides pretty well from a throw in the house but I suspect when I get outside tomorrow it will end up not as good and I will have to tweak the nose weight. I suspect a discus throw will also cause some crazy stuff to happen. I plan to get a video of it and find out. I guess I need to build a cardboard wall mount for it like I did my big DLG too . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=148

Cardboard DLG (0 min 40 sec)
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
Splash down!
Joined Jul 2006
1,035 Posts
Well... I didn't get a video because I was in a rush to get my daughters to school but...

I did a quick discus launch and it flew up onto the second story roof. I tried to get it down with an RC helicopter but clipped the stabilizers. I will need to rebuild them tonight .
Last edited by xStatiCa; Jan 22, 2014 at 09:54 AM.