SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:44 PM
France, PACA, Aix-en-Provence
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepelell View Post
yes, you should actually start by changing pot position first. From what i understand, software value is how strong the board will try to go back to level after banking. External pot instead is how much board will resist moving from level position to banked. If pot is too high you get wobble. Remember that pot is reversed, so to lower the value you must turn clockwise.
Thx for the info!

Too windy today I'll try it later...
pietronet is offline Find More Posts by pietronet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Just gone through 3 packs only calibrated at beginning of first pack, it tried to flip (Forwards this time) at the end of second pack when lifting off so I don't know what is going on
Looks like it doesn't need calibrating after each pack
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:59 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
well .. i am using the AQ50DPRO .. not the latest one but the one before the latest one
running in 2G mode (6G mode has lots of drift issues for me)
did all the stick centering etc etc ... flew it up and trimmed it
never did anymore calibration at every fresh pack .. trim levels remains pretty good .. very minor trmming required during flight ... 1 or 2 clicks will do

however .. once a while it will try to flip on the start of a fresh pack
arm .. then throttle then FLIP !!
i have had enough of flipping at start up ... with my FPV equipment on board and the gopro .. flipping is not pleasant
now i hold my quad after plugging in a fresh pack .. arm it .. slowly throttle it and see if it will try to flip .. it did try to do so a few times but unable to coz i was holding it
in the event that happens i dis-arm ... unplug and re-plug the battery
then it works fine ..
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
Just gone through 3 packs only calibrated at beginning of first pack, it tried to flip (Forwards this time) at the end of second pack when lifting off so I don't know what is going on
Looks like it doesn't need calibrating after each pack
I think you posted your setup info before but you may want to post the info each time the problem occurs so it is easier to find. It may help track the problem.....
Board version?
Firmware version?
Pot setting?
AGain setting?
TMF Pro Tool version used to set AGain?

Cheers
blast is offline Find More Posts by blast
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW View Post
well .. i am using the AQ50DPRO .. not the latest one but the one before the latest one
running in 2G mode (6G mode has lots of drift issues for me)
did all the stick centering etc etc ... flew it up and trimmed it
never did anymore calibration at every fresh pack .. trim levels remains pretty good .. very minor trmming required during flight ... 1 or 2 clicks will do

however .. once a while it will try to flip on the start of a fresh pack
arm .. then throttle then FLIP !!
i have had enough of flipping at start up ... with my FPV equipment on board and the gopro .. flipping is not pleasant
now i hold my quad after plugging in a fresh pack .. arm it .. slowly throttle it and see if it will try to flip .. it did try to do so a few times but unable to coz i was holding it
in the event that happens i dis-arm ... unplug and re-plug the battery
then it works fine ..
Thank you QiW, it is a little reassuring that I am not the only one that is experiencing this & that is good advice about checking after changing to a new pack.
So you have the 'AQ50 Pro', the new board has the 'D' & no 'Pro', 'AQ50D'
You say you trim & trim in flight I haven't had to use any trim at all, mine will hover on the spot indoors until prop wash disturbs it & I was under the impression that you shouldn't trim a board that has self leveling!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast View Post
I think you posted your setup info before but you may want to post the info each time the problem occurs so it is easier to find. It may help track the problem.....
Board version?
Firmware version?
Pot setting?
AGain setting?
TMF Pro Tool version used to set AGain?
Thanks Blast I didn't think of that.

Board version=AQ50D
Firmware=5.1
Pot setting= (not sure how to give this) 3 points from lowest?
AGain setting=7.6
TMF Pro Tool=1.21
Frame=QuadX
Size=400mm (motor to motor)
Last edited by nebstress; Jun 05, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:15 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
RC Transmitter & Sensor Calibration

Throttle Claibration
I have never been too sure that I am doing this calibration correctly.
Firstly, I have read that you should do it with the Throttle stick in the center to Low & also that it should be done from Full throttle to Low.
Secondly, from the manual it says "you need to maintain the stick in the center. Then, you move the throttle down; and press and hold the calibration button" but I have also read that you should move the stick from center down 'while' holding the calibration button

Please can anyone confirm the correct procedure?

Sensor Calibration
Is the Sensor Calibration that you do in the GUI the same as the calibration you do with the sticks (ie Throttle Up, Rudder Left)?
Last edited by nebstress; Jun 05, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Your radio is mode 1 or mode 2 ?

Quote:
I have never been too sure that I am doing this calibration correctly.
Firstly, I have read that you should do it with the Throttle stick in the center to Low & also that it should be done from Full throttle to Low.
Secondly, from the manual it says "you need to maintain the stick in the center. Then, you move the throttle down; and press and hold the calibration button" but I have also read that you should move the stick from center down 'while' holding the calibration button

Please can anyone confirm the correct procedure?

Is the Sensor Calibration that you do in the GUI the same as the calibration you do with the sticks (ie Throttle Up, Rudder Left)?
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Your radio is mode 1 or mode 2 ?
Mode 2,

Why, what difference does that make?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:47 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Well because the stick inputs are not on the same side...

For the rc transmitter/radio calibration, you need to do this only the first time use are using your radio/new rx with the aq board.

Remove all props, power the radio then power the aq board.
Throttle completely down, all other sticks centered...in other words, lower the throttle and do not touch anything else. Be sure all the trims are also centered. Then press and hold the button on the aq board until the blue LED comes back.

For sensor calibration ( I'm doing this to every to every pack), power the radio, then power the aq board, give full throttle and full rudder left, hold until the blue LED comes back on. Throttle down and let go the rudder input.

That is it

Quote:
Mode 2,

Why, what difference does that make?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2008
27 Posts
Do I understand correctly that by rudderstick you mean the one for yaw?
bubuu is offline Find More Posts by bubuu
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:25 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Correct! Yaw = rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuu View Post
Do I understand correctly that by rudderstick you mean the one for yaw?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Oct 2008
27 Posts
Ok, thanks a lot saucisse!
The reason i ask is, yesterday i flew my aq50 pro for the first time. After successfully flying the first battery, i did exactly this procedure (mode2, gas stick up and left until LED blinks)
After this i tried to take off again and nearly crashed. I carefully checked everything and had to invert aileron an elevon on my tx until everything worked like before.
Can anyone imagine what i've done wrong?
bubuu is offline Find More Posts by bubuu
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Well because the stick inputs are not on the same side...

For the rc transmitter/radio calibration, you need to do this only the first time use are using your radio/new rx with the aq board.

Remove all props, power the radio then power the aq board.
Throttle completely down, all other sticks centered...in other words, lower the throttle and do not touch anything else. Be sure all the trims are also centered. Then press and hold the button on the aq board until the blue LED comes back.

For sensor calibration ( I'm doing this to every to every pack), power the radio, then power the aq board, give full throttle and full rudder left, hold until the blue LED comes back on. Throttle down and let go the rudder input.

That is it
Thank you saucisse,
I have been doing the Transmitter calibration correctly, it seems that a lot of people that I have read from are confusing this calibration as a Throttle calibration & think that it records throttle stick position only, saying that the Throttle needs to be center or High & them lowered before pushing the button.

I know how to do the sensor calibration, my question was whether the calibration that can be done in the GUI is exactly the same as the Calibration you do with the TX (ie Throttle Up, Rudder Left)?
Mine doesn't need to be done every time I change pack, I just do it once before I go out flying.

I don't use any trim, I have just checked & you shouldn't need any trim, if it is drifting you simply re-calibrate the level.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
For anyone that is interested, this shows the start up, level calibration & shut down for TMF Board:
TMF Pro Startup - Shutdown Procedure (1 min 30 sec)
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:32 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Biella
Joined Feb 2011
395 Posts
Quote:
I know how to do the sensor calibration, my question was whether the calibration that can be done in the GUI is exactly the same as the Calibration you do with the TX (ie Throttle Up, Rudder Left)?
Mine doesn't need to be done every time I change pack, I just do it once before I go out flying.

I don't use any trim, I have just checked & you shouldn't need any trim, if it is drifting you simply re-calibrate the level.
i have found the PC calibration to be quite useless, so i don't bother with it. always calibrate with radio before every flight.
For what concerns your flips on take off, you do seem to have quite high levels of Again and pot gain. Try going to 7 on again and pot at 9 o'clock position and see what happens. You should still have a quite stable craft , but should be less sensitive to vibration. Maybe there is a certain rpm or ground resonance or whatever that on takeoff will disturb accels too much and make it want to flip. I have had a flip on takeoff only the very first time i tried it on my X8.
thepelell is offline Find More Posts by thepelell