HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:29 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Didn't find any soft tubing but I did find some rubber bands that might work. I can tape down the loose ends to keep them away from the prop.
I simply use rubber screws to soft- mount my motors. Works great!
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
I simply use rubber screws to soft- mount my motors. Works great!
Me too but it is hard as hell keeping the screw driver in the screw head.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Great idea on the servo grommets!! I think I need to futz with thrust angle on my new Slick, and that'll beat the heck out of washers.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:55 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,643 Posts
There was a guy I used to fly with who would soft-mount his motors with rubber standoffs and 1/4-20 nylon screws so they would break away in a crash instead of ripping the firewall off his plane. However this was on 15 lb, 1/4 scale planes with a 35cc glow motor. He also used standard plastic gear servos on 4.8V. Interesting guy to fly with to say the least.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,823 Posts
Yeah,the fuel tubing worked great,I got the Slick dialed in where you can just let go,and it will hang there torque rolling! Beat's the heck out of add,removing spacer,and washers to get it right! My only concern is if the screws will stay tight? Small O rings would work well also! Ron
Ron_Dog is online now Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
My only concern is if the screws will stay tight? Small O rings would work well also! Ron
I really like the tubing/grommet method but I'm reluctant for the reason you stated Ron.

Will they stay put? Occasional tweaking needed?

Mike and others who have used this method - your comments?

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
I really like the tubing/grommet method but I'm reluctant for the reason you stated Ron.

JC
This method works great, it only needs occasional tweaking because that's an inherrant characteristic of EPP planes that get bashed around the way these do. The whole point of this mounting system is the ease with which you can do the tweaking. Once you get used to it, if you feel it's out of adjustment all it takes to straighten it out is a couple twists of a screwdriver and your good to go.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Quote:

JC
The screws stay tight, I always tap the screws into the wood first, take them out and cyano the threads and then re-assemble so they are tight. They may need adjusting occasionally if you are in the habit of hitting the ground

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:00 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,823 Posts
Hopefully,the wind will lay tomorrow,or if it dosen't I'm going flying anyway! I've had 2 calm days since I've started flying these planes,but tomorrow looks like it will be good! http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KLWV&state=IL Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
The rubber bands might work :-) you could always wind them up for a bit of extra power
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:37 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully,the wind will lay tomorrow,or if it dosen't I'm going flying anyway! I've had 2 calm days since I've started flying these planes,but tomorrow looks like it will be good! http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KLWV&state=IL Ron
Ron,

You may be in luck. Supposed to be 55* and 5 mph wind here tomorrow.

Guess where I'll be at noon.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,823 Posts
Quote:
Ron,

You may be in luck. Supposed to be 55* and 5 mph wind here tomorrow.

Guess where I'll be at noon.

JC
Yup,me too! I couldn't stand it anymore and went out for some flights! I flew 4 packs out,or 20 minutes of pure bliss! The wind was @ 10-13mph but almost steady,hardly any gust. My fingers almost froze off,but it was worth it! The mount screws stayed secure,and the plane flew completely neutral,in all axis! Thanks,for the tip,Mike. You have converted me into a dampening/adjustable mount guy! Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:58 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
The screws stay tight, I always tap the screws into the wood first, take them out and cyano the threads and then re-assemble so they are tight. They may need adjusting occasionally if you are in the habit of hitting the ground

Mike
Eggs-ack-lee!
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:52 AM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,823 Posts
I see some post about getting 6 min flight time out of the 450 battery's? Mine come down at 3.7-8 V per cell stopping at 5 minutes? And they are 460 mAh? Also do you leave your battery's charged ahead of time to go flying? I use to,but left them too long,and had cells "puff" after 2 weeks. Now I charger them right before I go out,to the field. It would be nice to charge them the night before,and save some time getting ready. So how long, is too long,to leave a pack charged? Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:29 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
So how long, is too long,to leave a pack charged? Ron
No expert here, but I charge the batteries when I return from the field. They sit all week charged, they'll drop a tiny bit over the week. I don't top them off before use. How much difference is the flight time between 4.20 and 4.18? Nada.

If I run 6 minutes, the 460 Nano's end up around 85%. Timer set to 5 min, and I don't sweat running over if the mojo is flowing.

My sense is no harm to leave them charged for 2-3 weeks. After that, I put them in storage.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata