New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2015, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by Jman841
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Dec 2013
918 Posts
Discussion
Paparazzi Vs. APM

I could not find a more recent discussion of the comparison of these two autopilot systems. Both have come a long way in the last few years and I am curious to hear from users which system they like best for UAV use.

To me it seems that APM has taken hold and is by far the go to for UAV use, however, Paparazzi has some major following in the university realm.

APM seems to be much more user friendly and now that it supports multiple boards, direct python scripts, and it's feature list grows daily, it is surpassing paparazzi in user-ability and function.

Paparazzi seems to need an understanding of programming languages to use and needs Linux to be run, so, outside of a university setting it is much more difficult to use effectively.

What are other peoples opinions? is anyone using both and could outline the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Jman841 is offline Find More Posts by Jman841
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,330 Posts
When you talk autopilot you have to consider the APM and newer Pixhawk as a group as the both have the same basic firmware. The APM/Pixhawk has tones of support and many developers over a wide range of uses (multirotors, airplanes, helicopters, cars and ground vehicles, boars, and antenna tracker). With the later versions of firmware (last year and a half) you don’t need to do any programming yourself.

I have several APM and Pixhawk autopilot. The Pixhawk is so superior to anything on the market (hardware and firmware) that after using it I would never considers anything else. It all depends on the kinds of tasks you want it to do. The problem with the APM is the hardware design is getting old and it does not have enough computing power to run some of the latest features.

Not much experience with Paparazzi but I have heard it is good if you are a programmer and like to write code. I use to do that years ago but I am more into flying these days.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 23, 2015, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by Jman841
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Dec 2013
918 Posts
Sorry, when I said APM I mean the Ardupilot project as a whole

I think Ardupilot has far surpassed paparazzi at this point. 3 or 4 years ago maybe it was different.

From some google searches that is what I have seen and looking at the github activity and contributors, Ardupilot has about double the contributors and much more activity.
Jman841 is offline Find More Posts by Jman841