Old Apr 10, 2015, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by No Step
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,126 Posts
Discussion
I.D. this model and find plans please.

Hi, guys,..... I'm trying to remember the name of this model, and hopefully find plans. I've skimmed over Outerzone, didn't see it.

It is a Free Flight sport model about the same size and era of the Buttons. Also pictured, though >very< different. It had a somewhat elevated horizontal tail, trike gear as I remember, and the aft fuselage was "thick". It was for an .o20, or tired 049 maybe. I'd guess 36"ws max. I always liked the model. Now I want to build it. The only reason I added the Buttons below is to give an idea of the era. I built two Buttons, very fun. Would also like to build it but the twin rudder/vee tail would be tough to convert to RC and still keep it Rudd/Elev.

Anyway, if my sketch below jogs anyones memory I'd appreciate the help. I'm sure I'd remember the name if I heard it, so don't be bashful to guess.

Thanks Very much.
Fred Guilfoyle
Everett, WA.
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by GeeW
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,506 Posts
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/Laumer/swankydoodle.pdf
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2003
4,126 Posts
THAT's IT,... >>>>Thank You!!!<<<<<

I have thoughts of enlarging it to around 72"ws. Oh man, adding this one to my build que.

Thanks again GeeW
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,199 Posts
I agree that there's something about your sketch that makes me think of some of Laumer's designs, though the ones I thought were most similar on Outerzone have conventional gear and the wrong shaped vertical stab. Also makes me think of Vic Smeed designs, but no luck with that, either. I think there's another British guy who did stuff in the same general category, but I can't remember the name. Also, Peter Rake has been doing some shrunk versions of old free flight planes. Maybe he did a shrunk version of the one you're thinking of? They can be seen at:
http://www.peterrake.com/

Good luck!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
Old Apr 10, 2015, 04:09 PM
Joined May 2003
4,126 Posts
I've already got a set of plans ordered for printing. But thanks very much.

What inspired me was the 3x enlargement of the Dakota biplane seen in this months isssue of Model Aviation magazine. I love to enlarge and reduce plans to create a whole new (size) of model.

So many models, so little time.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2015, 04:45 PM
Joined May 2003
4,126 Posts
Hahaha,.. 3 hours exactly,.... and I have my hard copy of the plans in hand. I will study them, decide how much I want to enlarge them. Fun! Thanks again GeeW

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by brokenspar
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,281 Posts
No_Step, there seems to be renewed interest in Keith Laumer's designs. I've long admired his work. If you build the Swanky Doodle, please post a build log for us.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:55 PM
Joined May 2003
4,126 Posts
I sure will. It's probably 2nd in line. I have a 93" Sinbad Motor Glider coming up next. It will be a bashed Super Sinbad. http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Size-Be...-/131462275271

Fred
RCG Plus Member