SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Discussion
Turnugy 2209 28T 1050Kv weird behavior

Hi guys,

I purchased 4 of the Turnigy 2209 motors, 3 are running well but one is giving me strange sound.

You can check this video

2209 28T 1050kv (0 min 29 sec)

The motor is running on a SS HK ESC 25-30A, I've tried different timing with no success...
Also while running the base becomes hot, a short somewhere , I will try to open it and see.

So if you have any clue to fix my problem, please help !!!

Thank you
Mark
Kikurass is offline Find More Posts by Kikurass
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Ok, I opened the motor... for me everything is fine but I am far to be an expert.

So if you want to have a look here are some pictures, don't know if it can help

Another question, can it be an ESC problem ?
Last edited by Kikurass; Feb 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,310 Posts
Do us all a favor. Resize your images (600 x 800 or so is good) and Go Advanced and use the Manage Attachments menu to upload them. That gives us reasonable size images, thumbnails, and a much easier to read thread.

On the motor, get a multimeter, set it to Rx1, put one probe on one of the motor connectors and touch the other two one at a time. You should see a low but steady and even reading on all three (the real resistance there is milliOhms, you probably cannot measure that).

Then touch one probe to a bare spot on the stator (scratch it to make a bare spot it necessary). You should not see any continuity between the motor connectors and the stator. If you do you have a short between the windings and the stator.

If one of the arms is wound in the wrong direction the motor will run as you describe and over heat.

More brushless motor "dry testing" info here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216

If the ESC will run other motors OK it is probably not a ESC problem.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Thank you, I didn't know for the pictures.

I tested the motor, everything is ok, I get 0.8 ohm on each connector combination and no short between winding and the stator.

I also made few test and now I am very confused.
I've tested the ESC with another motor : all ok, the motor with another ESC : all ok

Then reconnected the ESC with the motor all ok

So I played a bit with my new quad, disconnected the battery to do adjustment reconnect and again same problem.

I think the ESC is "randomly " faulty, so I will order a new one and try...
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,310 Posts
I think you are on the right track, it sounds like an intermittent problem in the ESC.

I would check the solder joints on the connectors to make sure they are all good. Might be a good idea to reheat them just to make sure you don't have a bad solder joint.

If you get the motor running at a low to medium RPM and move or put pressure on each connection point with your fingers, you may find a bad connection that way.

Jack
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
I don't think it's coming from bad solder joint because I've connected it to another port on my shield where one is working fine and still the same. Even the other motor-esc connected to the supposedly bad port is just running fine.

I'm gonna check the solders on the ESC itself, anyway I have time to figure out as these ESC are out of stock on HK
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:08 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,310 Posts
People have found poor solder joints on the components on the PCB that the ESC is built on. The joints for the large battery and motor leads are easy to inspect and even resolder but it starts getting pretty tough when it gets down to the surface mounted components.

Check on eBay for the ESC. Sometimes you can find the same things there.

If I needed three or four ESCs for a omni I would consider using CC Thunderbirds, those are simple and reliable and come with a warranty. HK will just mess around with you, you'll be very unlikely to get them to admit that they sold you a bad item or do anything about it.

Jack
Old Jan 12, 2015, 01:30 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2015
14 Posts
I know this is long after the fact, that motor is probably junked or cinders by now! But I just posted a thread on this motor here and this thread is just exactly what I am talking about there. I'll bet you put too much current to that motor, judging by the big ESC you're using, My guess is that the motor is only good for about 12 A max. Oh wait, you're using the ESC for all four motors, in that case, could it be too small? Ouch my head hurts...

P.S. Thanx for the pix, I'll need them to fix mine, I suspect!
Slownhigh is offline Find More Posts by Slownhigh
Last edited by Slownhigh; Jan 12, 2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:02 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
1,098 Posts
The size of the ESC does not determine how much current the motor draws. The prop that is used determines amp draw, so the large ESC did not ruin the motor. Each brushless motor needs it's own ESC, so you cannot use one large ESC for four motors.

The symptoms seen in the video are very typical of an intermittent bad connection somewhere in the motor-ESC wiring.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:59 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,472 Posts
kikurass

You will have a picture of the inside of the bell?
I want to know if you have fan integrated as PA motors.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Jan 13, 2015, 07:27 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2015
14 Posts
OK Mike, thanks for the correction, and the possible problem. But do you mean the physical wires between the ESC-motor, or do you mean the physical wires, plus the internal wiring in the ESC and the motor?
And, Manuel, I haven't had my motor delivered yet, but I'd venture that a fan is science fiction to the guys who made this motor.
Slownhigh is offline Find More Posts by Slownhigh
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:58 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
1,098 Posts
Most likely a bad solder joint at the bullet connectors but sometimes in the ESC and less likely in the motor, unless it has been crashed, and then it could be anywhere.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:17 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,472 Posts
Slownhight.

Nop, Pa Thrust 20 is great motor, possibly the best in its category.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v