Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:21 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,947 Posts
Thanks ak68.

That little #16 camera does a great job. I have an earlier version and must upgrade.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:46 PM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
886 Posts
I maidened my XL this morning from grass. Our flying field is a little shaggy due to all the rain and the smaller motor isn't enough to get the plane started. A little nudge and it flies great. I will wait to see if shorter grass fixes this. If not I will go for the 2810 since most of my flying will be from grass,
A great plane. I will fly it tonight for my club show and tell, I will lose points for needing an assistant to give a push, but I think the rest of the flight will make up for that.
Vito
Vito is offline Find More Posts by Vito
Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM
watch your head
Germany, MV, Wismar
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Variations are ROG for rise off ground, and ROMM for rise off molten magma.
so, ROMM is next on my list

I did maiden it ROG (nice I know new shorties ) and it flew very nice until i lost Controll and arrowed it to the ground.
I searched for the error and it was my mistake ... I really forgott to glue in the Aileronservo .

It jumped out and so i had to pay the price.

The repair was very easy, and I made servoslot for glue and screws now.

maybe iŽll make a vid of next flight.

So long
van3st
van3st is offline Find More Posts by van3st
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I maidened my XL this morning from grass. Our flying field is a little shaggy due to all the rain and the smaller motor isn't enough to get the plane started. A little nudge and it flies great. I will wait to see if shorter grass fixes this. If not I will go for the 2810 since most of my flying will be from grass,
A great plane. I will fly it tonight for my club show and tell, I will lose points for needing an assistant to give a push, but I think the rest of the flight will make up for that.
Vito
Sounds about like mine with the 2212-6 motor. I found a 7x4 prop was best, but it still needed short grass if it was to get going unassisted.

What have you got on the bottom to make it slide easily? I use Scotch Tough Transparent Duct Tape, which is smooth and works well.

If you like aerobatics, note that you should use more down than up. Otherwise it needs a whole lot of down when inverted. I use 80% up and 110% down as the throws. If your transmitter can do it, set 30% expo on the up side and 0% on the low side. All of this is aimed at equalizing elevator response and overcoming the effect of the -2 degree setting of the stab.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Variations are ROG for rise off ground, and ROMM for rise off molten magma.
ROMM is not recommended for Depron models and asbestos is no longer allowed. So you'll have to settle for ROW.
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
United States, TN, Arlington
Joined Jan 2005
53 Posts
Second Polaris Ready To Go

I put the final touches on my second Polaris this afternoon. Hope to maiden her next week. I fly my Polari exclusively from water!
gbman is offline Find More Posts by gbman
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Alphen aan den Rijn
Joined Aug 2012
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbman View Post
I put the final touches on my second Polaris this afternoon. Hope to maiden her next week. I fly my Polari exclusively from water!
Nice job man, that's a beauty!
Andreotti is offline Find More Posts by Andreotti
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,708 Posts
Yea, that's a nice one!
You have a 4 digit AMA number? Wow...

I am on starting a 75% version constructed out of skinned DTFB.
Wing spar and leading edge will be bamboo skewers.

My plan is to complete the airframe, then give it a layer of silkspan and WBPU.
Did a search for this method and didn't find much info.
Anyone tried it?

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,133 Posts
Yes, I have done it, if you search this thread you will see a recount of my reasons for doing so...Pete M

I put lightweight silkspan top and bottom on the wing to add stiffness, see post 3284 on page 219 for whole story. Added about 1 oz total to the model...
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Last edited by pmisuinas; Yesterday at 06:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Did a search for this method and didn't find much info.
Anyone tried it?

Glenn
This might be of help Glenn http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1544677

Ghost
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:11 AM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
886 Posts
I put some clear heavy duty packing tape on the bottom to protect from rocks and such, It seems pretty slippery. The motor just does not have to ooomph to get the party started. I ordered the larger motor/prop and will swap it before I permanently add the last panels.
I guess that frees up the old motor for a smaller Polaris sometme in the future. I wish I could find a place to fly off water, There are lots of lakes and ponds around but mostly on private property. The public lakes are afraid of crazed drones taking over. I am still looking.
Vito
Vito is offline Find More Posts by Vito
Old Today, 06:46 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I am on starting a 75% version constructed out of skinned DTFB.
Wing spar and leading edge will be bamboo skewers.

Glenn
Just remember you don't want to go over 10-11oz total, ready to fly. I have been flying my Polaris Mini for years with just some light packaging tape on the leading edge for reinforcement. No LE spars.

Original weight was 9oz but I substituted a more powerful motor and 850 battery for the original 500.
Old Today, 08:22 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I wish I could find a place to fly off water, There are lots of lakes and ponds around but mostly on private property. The public lakes are afraid of crazed drones taking over. I am still looking.
Vito
Call your State Parks offices, and see what their policy is. Always make it clear that you're flying electric not IC. Here in FL for instance all state parks land is fair game.

National forest land is also fair game, but from recent policy adjustments national parks are not.

Also call city and county offices. Around here most -city- policies are 'no flying anything.' I happen to be near the intersection of 3 counties. One is no-fly, one is 'sure go ahead' and the third is 'we have no policy as long as you don't annoy anyone.' There's a lake that's mostly city owned, but has a small county park boat ramp on it too. Flying off the county portion of the shore is OK but nowhere else. So clearly, Your Mileage Will Vary.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Today, 11:51 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbman View Post
Nice work gbman. She's a beauty!
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero