Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
The reason Im asking is because my theory is that if a violin made out of plastic would sound much different then a violin made out of wood, shouldnt the concept work the same with EDF under exact parameters/configurations? which material would simulate the best jet like sound?

I have known to be wrong but thats where some of you experts come in hand.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Jun 2012
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
The reason Im asking is because my theory is that if a violin made out of plastic would sound much different then a violin made out of wood, shouldnt the concept work the same with EDF under exact parameters/configurations? which material would simulate the best jet like sound?

I have known to be wrong but thats where some of you experts come in hand.
I think you drive a good logic there but, violins and chelos sound different just by using different woods, infact even the placement of the grain of the wood used makes for different sound. The thing is edfs don't have a resonance box like instruments do, so the material will make a minimal change in sound. I did say before the tha aluminum one Will be the closest to a jet sound. This is because in an all aluminum EDF the resonance of the aluminum will sound metallic, search you tube and you will see what I mean. But the only way for an edf to sound like a turbine is for it to have insanely high efflux speeds, like a real turbine.

so to sum it all up no material will get you jet sound, but "all" aluminum will have a more metallic sound.
PAPE is online now Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:11 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,443 Posts
Not sure if I would want my fan to sing like a violin but I do agree on the sound of Alloy rotors for instance, to me they can have a shrill hard sound, especially when in an alloy housing. Alloy housings however have a pleasing sound when the plastic composite rotor used in one is perfectly balanced, and the end result is extremely good. There are many in here using these combinations who will attest to this fact.

Listening to the sound of an alloy housing with an encapsulated motor and multiblade rotor in it (like the Jetfan or CS 10 and 12 blade rotors) its quite apparent that the fan can be dead quiet to the point where if the intake/exhaust does not roar from turbulence the model has practically no sound at all. I have experienced this with the 70mm CS10 3 times now, and the model was too quiet! (the owners loved it however).
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:32 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPE View Post
I think you drive a good logic there but, violins and chelos sound different just by using different woods, infact even the placement of the grain of the wood used makes for different sound. The thing is edfs don't have a resonance box like instruments do, so the material will make a minimal change in sound. I did say before the tha aluminum one Will be the closest to a jet sound. This is because in an all aluminum EDF the resonance of the aluminum will sound metallic, search you tube and you will see what I mean. But the only way for an edf to sound like a turbine is for it to have insanely high efflux speeds, like a real turbine.

so to sum it all up no material will get you jet sound, but "all" aluminum will have a more metallic sound.
I have never owned an alum fan and have always wondered if the sound would be better in an alum EDF unit, after all a real jet engine is made of metal and sooner or later we would get to much higher rotor rpm's as motor technology improves especially since the voltage and amps seams to keep going up.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
I have never owned an alum fan and have always wondered if the sound would be better in an alum EDF unit, after all a real jet engine is made of metal and sooner or later we would get to much higher rotor rpm's as motor technology improves especially since the voltage and amps seams to keep going up.
today turbines and EDFs are close thrust wise, but efflux on a turbine can me around 1000mph while your average high performance edf is around 150-200mph

and that is whats really missing to sound like a turbine.
PAPE is online now Find More Posts by PAPE