Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Jun 2006
89 Posts
Help!
Mini Titan V2 build question...

Hi everybody!

I started the build of my Mini Titan V2 today and have made some good progress. Having a lot of fun and really enjoying the process!

A couple questions as I work on the build:
Just how taught should the belt be? The instructions say that it shouldn't deflect more than .2mm (that's not much!). I pulled and pulled the tail section per the instructions and I am still seeing some pretty good flex in the belt. All the mounting holes line up so I'm not really sure whe I am going to get any more tension on the belt.

Second question...
The tail rotors...how tight should the screws be that hold them on? Right now they are loose as could be and just kind of flopping around.

As you can imagine...I am no helicopter expert. I've gotten pretty good with the coaxials and picked up a Blade 120 SR this summer, this is my first try at a "real" heli!!

Thanks for your help!

JimO
Erie, PA
jyymbo is offline Find More Posts by jyymbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:52 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jim,

I've got a Titan V2 also. On the .2mm, I think it a matter of a misplaced decimal point. I think it should be just 2mm. page 22 in the manual.

Tail blade tension: That's a debatable question. Some will say that they should "Flop" around and some won't. I prefer to tighten mine just enough so they don't flop, but can easily be moved with your finger tip. Make the tension equal for both blades.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Jun 2006
89 Posts
I don't doubt it's a typo...the manual is full of them! I've never seen so many mis-spelled words in an instruction manual!

Mine does seem a bit looser than 2mm of deflection though...I would guess around 4mm or so, is that going to be a problem? I honestly don't know how to get it tighter.

Besides the typos and mis-spellings, the only other complaint I have with the kit are the screws. Seem to be very poor quality. I may end up replacing them with some stainless steel ones I have from RC Screwz. When I was assembling the 2 carbon fiber halves of the main frame the step called for about 16 or so of the same screws...well the screws were all the same size, but they had 3 different hex sizes on them. Very frustrating. I'm also finding parts in the wrong bags as well. Just a little frustrating, but overall I'm still very happy with the kit, glad I chose this one.

JimO
Erie, PA
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jim,

If you'll notice on page 22 in the manual, it say's .2mm or .08 inches. Well, the .08 inches converted to mm, is 2.032mm. Lol! On belt tension, you don't want it bow tight either. I just grip the tail boom close to the boom holder, and push with my thumb against the boom holder and tighten things up. My belt will move about half the distance to the belt on the other side.

Stripped screws: That's pretty normal with any kit. Over the years I have tons of spares.
However, recently I purchased a good quality set of hex drivers, and a #1 JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) phillips head screw driver. On hex bolts, I don't have nearly the problems I use to (actually none on the Titan build), and with the JIS phillips screwdriver, I have yet to round out a phillips head screw.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Jun 2006
89 Posts
Ok, good...that's about where I am with belt tension.

I have good tools...nice set of hex drivers and screw drivers (I've been building RC cars and airplanes for a long time now). I'm just shocked at all the different hex sizes for the same screws. Weird.

Any who...thanks for the belt tension info!

I have a hunch I'll have more questions before its all said and done!

JimO
Erie, PA
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jim,

Same here, RC cars, airplanes and 6 years with the helis.
More questions, happy to help ya out.

Dave