Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:33 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Discussion
My short solent 480 from ivans plans

I have been working on my scratch built short solent for a long time but i finaly flew her last saterday. It has a 99 inch wing and four 480 brushed motors with gear boxes and apc 10X6 four bladed props. She took off in a 10 mph wind and it needed no ail or rudder trim but some down elev was needed. I had 3 flights at the water funfly in oak forest IL at a SAC flyin . My one cowl came loose so i took it off and kept on flying /lol here are some pictures.joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:36 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,791 Posts
Magic
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Thanks ray ! joe
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:36 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
828 Posts
Beautiful plane!
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:39 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
648 Posts
Stunning. Definitely worth all that work.
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
274 Posts
That is a beautiful piece of work. Is it from the Ivan's plan ?
Is there a cnc cut parts set for the ribs and formers?
Mark 2 is offline Find More Posts by Mark 2
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
No cnc drawings for parts to be lazer cut, i cut it all out .I think ivan has a couple planes that have cad drawings for lazer cutting . Thanks guys it took me long enough ,i will get to fly it more next spring and summer. Luke z and mountain mans threads helped me get through all the building . They had plenty of pictures when i run into trouble and i emailed ivan a couple times. joe
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:25 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
551 Posts
HI Joe...excellent job and a nice looking plane...good to see you have done it with a NZ rego.[ZK]
I am going to have to get serious and build one myself. cheers Mintie.
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintie View Post
HI Joe...excellent job and a nice looking plane...good to see you have done it with a NZ rego.[ZK]
I am going to have to get serious and build one myself. cheers Mintie.
Hi mintie ,with all the build threads from luke z and mountainman and all the great build pictures they took it was not hard at all . The only thing that took a bit was the planking on all the necelles . I got my graffics from callie,s graffics and she has a few different ones she made for other solent builders .She is the best when it comes to ivans planes and she is not expensive either . I have seen you scratch build your seaplane with out plans,so with plans from ivan you would do great. If you do build a 80 inch 400 size or the 99 inch 480 like mine, please do start a build thread mintie. joe
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,362 Posts
Joe where does your Solent Build stand Now Sir? excellent choice!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Its all done with my solent and waiting to go to many water funflys this summer.I have started on ivans twin otter and then his albatross ,both are 84 inch wing spans and very light . joe
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hi Joe

After you mentioned your Short Solent in the Slowly thread I just had to come and take a look. Well all I can say is WOW, you weren't kidding when you said large it's a Monster. You have some extraordinary building skills, the detail is outstanding, it must have taken ages to build.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad I looked in, kind regards
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Hi Joe

After you mentioned your Short Solent in the Slowly thread I just had to come and take a look. Well all I can say is WOW, you weren't kidding when you said large it's a Monster. You have some extraordinary building skills, the detail is outstanding, it must have taken ages to build.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad I looked in, kind regards
Andy
Thanks Andy it took over a year to build but i could have had it done faster.I build foamy's to learn a little more about building with foam this year and its habbit forming as i cant stop. It also give's me a break from those long balsa builds so i dont get burnt out. This winter iam getting out the two ivans plans i have and will give them a go. Andy i know you said you were doing a landcaster ,if you start a build thread please pm me with a link or let me know here. joe
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Thanks Andy it took over a year to build but i could have had it done faster.I build foamy's to learn a little more about building with foam this year and its habbit forming as i cant stop. It also give's me a break from those long balsa builds so i dont get burnt out. This winter iam getting out the two ivans plans i have and will give them a go. Andy i know you said you were doing a landcaster ,if you start a build thread please pm me with a link or let me know here. joe
Hi Joe

Regards the Lancaster I really must start a thread, I have taken a few pictures as I've gone along, so I'll download them to the PC sometime this week. I warn you though it won't be a patch on your masterpiece.
Cheers
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Andy i have seen some of your scratch built warbirds and they look great . Iam learning more about foam builds and any foam or balsa builds i like to watch.