2,477 Posts
Thanks for those observations Gil.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Hello to everyone!

I made this mod too. I am with the European power settings of my DX6i and I hope I do not need an attenuator.

Everything is very simple and nice with this mod, but guys, don't you think that the RF radiation could be dangerous? - I measured more then 0.1 mW/cm2 intensity from about 50 cm distance.

What do you think about this aspect? I think the cancerous effect of the microwaves is already proven.

Regards!
aiko is offline Find More Posts by aiko
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Hi aiko, I have a dx6i too and I was wondering what the verdict is on your installation without the attenuator. Thanks
Sterlingjl is offline Find More Posts by Sterlingjl
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:01 AM
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
ALFA 800mw PEN Booster APA05

I was shopping around the other day and found http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/...ategory=107049 wifi booster.

It's a really nice little booster that is easy to install requiring no additional connector and cables.

So here is what I did with it.

I first checked how it would fit onto the Transmitter with my FRsky module. Normally the antenna connector points upwards but I opened it up and drilled a new hole so it points backwards.

I then put a 5A BEC inside the transmitter and put a connector on the back for the 6v output to the amplifier. The BEC is wired through the power switch of the transmitter the amplifier is switched on and off with transmitter.

I have flown 1.1km away so far without any problems. havnt had the importunity to go further yet.
brettbb is offline Find More Posts by brettbb
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:56 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,477 Posts
Nice.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:41 AM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Alfa

I have one those this in my drawer. I should try that.
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
brettbb, with the FRsky module only, you should achieve 1 mile at least and maybe even 2 miles. You do not need to burn your nuts and get eventually cancer for 1-2 mile distances.
aiko is offline Find More Posts by aiko
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:56 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,761 Posts
Im close to doing this to my DX8, can someone tell me what sort of attenuator i can use, or how long i should have a co-axial cable if i cant find an attenuator for it?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:52 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,761 Posts
Ummm, anyone?
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:00 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Im close to doing this to my DX8, can someone tell me what sort of attenuator i can use, or how long i should have a co-axial cable if i cant find an attenuator for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Ummm, anyone?
The attenuator is talked about *somewhere* in this thread.... page 3 or 4 I think....
Also search ebay for sma attenuator... there will be lots listed... the trick is picking the right one.... a 6db attenuator that works from DC to 3ghz or higher should be ok.

In lieu of an attenuator, about 4-6ft of coax should be enough.....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Last edited by galaxiex; Oct 03, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:41 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I got the 1W amplifier and I'm pumping 7.5 to 8.0v through it. I assume it has some type of vreg circuit or a zener diode to keep it reasonable(6v input). No problems yet.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:02 PM
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Sep 2010
222 Posts
Hello,

I am planning to modify my US-rated JR9503, which is internally very similar to DX7 (so hopefully my questions will not be considered offtopic ), and I have already ordered the prescribed parts.

My current FVP rig consists of the mentioned TX with a detachable 7" LCD monitor on top, plus a video/audio receiver strapped to the monitor along with an extra 3s 2200 mAh battery. The whole thing is quite portable and easy to take along in a backpack when you're going to some remote location on foot, but it also feels a bit heavy when you have to hold it in your hands for extended periods of time. Adding a booster would increase the weight even more, which is something I would gladly avoid.

Hence the question: do you think it is possible to get rid of the booster case (which looks quite heavy) and, ideally, mount all the electronics inside the transmitter case? I understand the booster case provides some RF shielding, so another question follows: if I remove the case, how damaging the radiation would be to surrounding electronics, and how badly would it affect the video reception? (My A/V system is 1280 Mhz, omnidirectional)

Thanks in advance,

Gene
fgene is offline Find More Posts by fgene
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:17 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
the booster is a big heatsink. You expect it to dissipate 1W easily?
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:51 PM
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Sep 2010
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
the booster is a big heatsink. You expect it to dissipate 1W easily?
AFAIK the booster is designed to work 24/7 indoor and could be installed in a place with no airflow, that is why it may need a large heatsink. I don't think all that metal is really needed when you're using it outside for 10-15 minutes at a time. A much smaller customized heatsink + couple ventilation holes should solve the problem, in my opinion. My main concern is RF pollution, especially in the vicinity of A/V receiver.
fgene is offline Find More Posts by fgene
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:29 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
The attenuator is talked about *somewhere* in this thread.... page 3 or 4 I think....
Also search ebay for sma attenuator... there will be lots listed... the trick is picking the right one.... a 6db attenuator that works from DC to 3ghz or higher should be ok.

In lieu of an attenuator, about 4-6ft of coax should be enough.....
Ive been pointed in the direction of either a 6db or 10db attenuator. Which one should i go with?

I really have no idea on how to tell which would do the job better so im trusting the knowledge of you forum folk!! lol

Cheers,

Alan.
Closed Thread