Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,091 Posts
Discussion
B6 Mini not counting mAh correctly

Hi

Just got a B6 Mini to be able to make discharge and charge graphs, which it's PC link output makes possible, However, I found a weird bug, when doing a discharge, like to storage level, on 1s LiPo, and then charge it back up to full, the amount of mAh put back is much less. Like 155 mAh disharged, and 118 mAh put back. Now I've seen the opposite happen, as there are always charge losses, so I would have expected to see more like 160 mAh charged back, but this one misses the mark and quite a bit.

Is this a known (firmware) bug of the B6 Mini? The battery is actually full at the end of the charge session, so it's not like the charger is cutting the charging prematurely. I could try a firmware update with Charge Master, but maybe you can chime in first, maybe seen this problem before?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
10,812 Posts
You'll be lucky if you can find a FW update yet ... the mini is set on FW 1.10 ... SkyRC announced FW 1.12 ... but it is not showing on applicable updates vis Chargemaster.

I contacted them and was told that update was withheld till autumn 2015.

Strange thing is my Eco6 80W charger which also uses Chargenaster has FW 1.12 installed. But of course you cannot download of the charger to install to another !

I have never trusted fully mA figures on chargers up or down .... and when I tried to use my B6 Mini with PC as well as charging ... the 5V bridge internally cooked and now it only works when connected to both main 12V and USB at same time. I have a free replacement which I am afraid to connect in case it does same !!
My Eco6 is great though ...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm a supporter of the budget B6 format (used by so many other brands as well) but the mini has shaken my loyalty a bit.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Today, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,091 Posts
I tend to think the mAh counter is not fully accurate on a cheap charger like this, but at least on my regular B6 and B6AC values are consistent, and match the rated capacity pretty well. Plus, as is to be expected, the charger needs to put back in more than you can take out, because no battery is 100% efficient. With my current Mini, it takes out more than it puts back, at least when you look at the counters. The discharged mAh matches my other chargers, only the amount that is charged back is weirdly low. And I keep an eye on that amount, to judge battery health, as I don't time each flight on my cheap quads, but just fly till soft LVC, where the battery is about 3.70 volts after flight.

Does your Eco6 have more realistic mAh counting? Say you discharge a small lipo to storage level, and then later back to full, what values do you get?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Today, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
10,812 Posts
Sorry ... because I don't value the readings so highly ... just read them to see something has gine in ... I cannot really answer ......

What I will do though is run a quick comparison test of the Mini vs Eco6 ..

FYI - the Eco6 is the Hobby King Accucel Eco6 80W charger copy of the 80W SkyRc B8 but different case ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife