Old Jun 08, 2015, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
Discussion
X120 charger from HK.

Hello Guys this is going to be a mini review on the Hobbyking x120 touchscreen charger I'm a reactor 300 fan and the charger is by far my favorite well proven charger but I want a second type of charger for my small packs. Up until now I've used my IMAX b6 clone that has been very good to me and fairly accurate.
I am buying a x120 touch screen just to see what it's like and how accurate it is. It will be checked with a calibrated fluke multimeter. Normally I fully charge then check individual cell voltages then compare with a calibrated fluke to see how accurate it is. This will be much easier with the x120 being it has a battery check mode that tells you your packs resting no load voltage. I've not found this feature in any of my other chargers. Please let me know if this is a feature I have on my reactor 300 and don't know about. So far my reactor 300 is the most accurate charger I've ever owned. My first ever Lipo charger the Duratrax onyx 235 was my easiest to program and learn all of its features with very straight forward logic that was so easy to get familiar with. My reactor I'm still trying to figure out navigating through its menus. This touchscreen setup appears to be so simple that even a total newb could put a Lipo on a balance charge without any issues of not knowing what's going on. If this x120 turns out to be fairly accurate it would be a charger I would totally recommend to someone just getting started. With your first plane 2 or 3 Lipo 3 cell packs and a 120 watt charger wouldn't be a bad start at all. I mean most people start with a 50 watt charger.
So I will have this x120 this week I would say and will report how it all goes.
I'm doing this because I found no info on this forum about this charger plus I like the simplicity of the touch screen for my small packs. These will be great for begginers if all pans out and performs well.

Ok I just received my package and first impressions it looks really nice. I'm very surprised that the DC input voltage is 10/28 volts this is great I can use my 24 volts supply.
I find it really odd that both the X200 and X350 both are only 10/18 volt max input.
Very strange being this is the smallest of the 3 but can handle the highest input voltage.
I'll be listing some of the specs asap but have a very busy week going so will get to this as soon as I can.

Hobbyking X120 specifications are as follows
Touch screen display: 3.0 inch
Resolution: 400x240 pixel
Operating voltage range: DC input 10-28 volts
Circuit power: Max 120 watts (charging)
Max 10 watts discharging
Charge current range: 0.1/10.0 amp
Discharge current range: 0.1/3.0 amp
Current drain for balance: 300MA/ cell
USB charge: 5v 2.1AMP
LIPO/life/lion battery cell count : 1-6 series
NICD/NIMH battery cell count: 1-16 cells
PB battery voltage: 2-24 volts
Dimension: 140x140x48mm
Weight: 0.55KG
System: IM-OS V2.15
Operating temperature: 0-50 degrees Celsius 32-122 Fahrenheit

These are all of its listed specs. I have seen comments about this charger that It claims multiple languages but they can only get English. The manual states This to be customizable so I'm assuming maybe other language can be downloaded??
I am doing this as a kinda mini review and all info will be added to this post as I go along.

I have put this charger through all I could this weekend and I'm very pleased.
The checker mode only carries out 2 decimal points or hundredths and is spot on with the calibrated fluke multimeter I use at work. I checked this by getting all three cells in the pack at 3.785volts per cell exactly and in checker mode the X120 showed 3.78 volts per cell.
Then my next accuracy test was to fully charge a Lipo and was also impressed with my results. The highest cell directly off the charger was 4.204 volts but did settle to 4.2 volts after a few minutes and the lowest cell was 4.196 but it had already settled evidently because that's where it stayed. So after all cells are off my X120 charger on a fully charged pack my highest cell was at 4.200 volts dead on and the lowest cell was 4.196 so I'm very impressed with my X120 after a full balance charge the difference between the highest and lowest cell in the pack was .004 so 4 thousandths of a volt. This is right up there with my reactor 300. These are the most accurate 2 chargers I've ever tested.
Most of my chargers always charged to 4.18/4.190 per cell which is also pretty much a fully charged pack i know but I like that little tad extra myself but what really matters is how accurate these measurements are.
I have more info to add but out of time and will update soon.
Jaketheone46 is offline Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Last edited by Jaketheone46; Jun 15, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2015, 07:37 AM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
The Hobbyking X120dc intelligent touch screen battery charger
Specifications. Coming up soon.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by JoeCatul
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2015
141 Posts
This looks like a nice little unit, let us know how it compares to the usability of the Reaktor 300W.

The 24V input provides no real benefit since a 12V power supply will pretty much get it to its max 120W at 10A?
JoeCatul is offline Find More Posts by JoeCatul
Old Jun 11, 2015, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Tesla69
Suspended Account
Joined May 2015
40 Posts
looks like a clone of the Imax X180..http://www.rcdude.com/Imax-X180-DC-B...p/imx-x180.htm
Tesla69 is offline Find More Posts by Tesla69
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:37 AM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCatul View Post
This looks like a nice little unit, let us know how it compares to the usability of the Reaktor 300W.

The 24V input provides no real benefit since a 12V power supply will pretty much get it to its max 120W at 10A?
Sure thing. I'll be really busy tomorrow and all weekend but will get to it soon. The reason I like the 24 volt input is I just prefer charging with 24 in as opposed to 12 this way when charging 4/6s the charger is not having to boost the voltage.
Just a preference I suppose.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 07:27 AM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
I will be updating and adding all the info I can in the first post.
I do have a very busy weekend ahead of me so may not have a update till next week.
When I do add info to the first post I'm not sure if that brings the thread back to the first page of the battery and chargers section or not. If it does not can anyone tell me how to get my thread back to page 1 when I make updates??
Last edited by Jaketheone46; Jun 12, 2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:58 PM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
My first post has been updated. I'm liking this little charger so far.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:46 AM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
For all of you newbs out there. This charger has just been placed on sale for 20 bucks at the HK east warehouse. I have found this charger to be accurate and very cool to use.
I've only had it a week or so and no idea about long term use. But I have maxed it out to its limits over and over again this week and not one single issue.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:12 AM
Joined Feb 2015
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
For all of you newbs out there. This charger has just been placed on sale for 20 bucks at the HK east warehouse. I have found this charger to be accurate and very cool to use.
I've only had it a week or so and no idea about long term use. But I have maxed it out to its limits over and over again this week and not one single issue.
That is a ridiculously good deal, and an excellent value! I'm tempted to pick one up, even though I have two 300W Reaktors, just to have another backup/option for lots of charging

Hope those looking for something like the Accucell 6 or Imax B6 etc. get this one instead.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:15 AM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
I totally agree. My reactor 300 is my favorite as well but I picked up one of these last week just because I like the touch screen. It turned out to be really accurate so now that it's on sale for 20 bucks and free shipping I have a second one on its way. There's no way I could pass up a 120 watt touch screen 10amp charger for 20 shipped
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2015
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
There's no way I could pass up a 120 watt touch screen 10amp charger for 20 shipped
I didn't realize it was free shipping, just ordered one too

I've got a 24V PSU that has two sets of outputs, and another 12V PSU, so I can use those three along with this X120 and two Reaktors to do all kinds of parallel charging!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by bmoorthamers
Joined Oct 2012
150 Posts
Ha this sucks, I just bought it for 40 2 days ago..
But it's working great.
bmoorthamers is offline Find More Posts by bmoorthamers
Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2015
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorthamers View Post
Ha this sucks, I just bought it for 40 2 days ago..
But it's working great.
You can request a price match with them I think. Glad to know it's working well for you, looks like a nice little charger!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by bmoorthamers
Joined Oct 2012
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCatul View Post
You can request a price match with them I think. Glad to know it's working well for you, looks like a nice little charger!
Nope, I asked Worth the try though. I could do a no-fuss RMA and re-order it, but we're not talking about heaps of money.. I hate that I can be bothered by such futile things haha
bmoorthamers is offline Find More Posts by bmoorthamers
Old Jun 19, 2015, 02:17 PM
Jaketheone46
Joined Nov 2014
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorthamers View Post
Nope, I asked Worth the try though. I could do a no-fuss RMA and re-order it, but we're not talking about heaps of money.. I hate that I can be bothered by such futile things haha
At first I thought the same thing. I just had bought one not long ago after looking at it for a while. I just liked the touch screen.
Then I thought at 20 bucks shipped I'll just buy another. Figure at least I got in on the deal.