New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by hogfish
Joined Feb 2013
141 Posts
That kyrlon does make it stand out better.
I wonder how those tail boom covers hold up in crash . Micro heli has one that looks pretty good
I wouldn't be happy though busting up 60 bucks in a crashhttp
://helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565555&d=1422377199
hogfish is offline Find More Posts by hogfish
Last edited by hogfish; Jun 16, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2015, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by Powerdyne
KBDD Team Pilot
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
1,510 Posts
Well, since the Mini Unlimited Class was announced for the IRCHA Speed cup. I have been considering making some adjustments to my Forza 450, and getting her in shape for competition. I know it sounds strange, but I have a feeling this little bird could have some really good times and speeds if tuned properly.

The Forza 450 is a rather light weight bird in stock form, and only marginally heavier in Full EX dress with aluminum upgrades to the lower frame braces, lower provile EX Skids, Metal Bearing blocks, pitch links, and AR bracket.

I am thinking about adding the tail boom cover as well.

I still need to figure out what blades I want to run for this, as well as tail blades, and FBL unit tuning.

Any thoughts?
Powerdyne is online now Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TSA Infusion 600E Pro Build
Old Jun 20, 2015, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by HeliWobbles
Australia, VIC, Somerville
Joined Apr 2013
255 Posts
You've got my attention!
She's a nippy bird and that canopy is quite slippery; I recon you've got a good chance.
Video, lots of video, oh and make sure the sound is good- that's as important as the pictures.
Don't be holding back on the report now...hmmm, where's my popcorn...
Ted
HeliWobbles is offline Find More Posts by HeliWobbles
Old Jun 20, 2015, 05:57 AM
Find More Posts by dteel
I failed to crash a heli once!
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
2,747 Posts
I'm very much the noob so would not consider giving you advice. I will however wish you luck and will follow your progress should you choose to share it with us. I really love this helicopter. It's a pleasure to fly.
dteel is online now Find More Posts by dteel
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,794 Posts
I think the Forza has to be competitive. I reckon short blades and super high headspeed will be key factors. Might be worth covering the frame openings to reduce drag. The low profile skids should be better than the original high ones, but serious contenders may use custom blade type skids. You could fair the skids into the bottom plate quite easily with balsa and tape, and perhaps even sand the outboard parts of the skid cross members to a more aerodynamic section. Hope you do it, good luck, go Forza, go Powerdyne!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by Powerdyne
KBDD Team Pilot
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
1,510 Posts
Thanks guys.

I still haven't decided if I am coming to compete or not, but it's tempting because I have gotten this bird cooking down the flightline a few times.

I still need to rebuild the head and tail, and purchase parts to upgrade, so I don't know if I can make it in time. I don't want to Pre-reg and not be able to have a competitive entry in time for the event.

If anything, it's more of a flight of fancy (pun intended) just to see what I can get it to do. I know the headspeed issue won't be too much of a problem since this little bird likes the insanity. However, Rich Knapp is running an Oxy3 stretch at 6,000 RPM...

I wan to try it at least to see what can be accomplished with a near stock Forza 450 EX. I'm thinking of keeping it on the Spektrum system just so I can shed a fraction of weight using sats instead of switching it to Futaba like my other helis.

Though I definitely want some form of telemetry...
Powerdyne is online now Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TSA Infusion 600E Pro Build
Old Jun 20, 2015, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,794 Posts
6000rpm! Sonic velocity is the limiting factor, and at 6000rpm with 255 blades, the tip speed is "only" around 400mph. The Oxy3 has a draggy exposed tail servo, tho, even tho the skids look good. All in all, it seems to have a very similar layout to the Forza. Using 325 blades on the Forza and HS4700 would give you a similar tip speed of around 400mph. I reckon you could manage HS4100 on a stock 6s setup with the 15t pinion - but 7s might get you close to HS4700.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Jun 20, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by pdooley
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
1,396 Posts
this heli going for a speed record doesn't seem to have much for skids. looks like some little wire frame thing.
Speed Banshee 275 KMH 171 MPH World Record , Speed Banshee Weltrekord in Ballenstedt 14.09.2013 (3 min 26 sec)
pdooley is online now Find More Posts by pdooley