Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Boidster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
I am a Cessnaholic
Omaha
Joined Aug 2008
283 Posts
Discussion
HobbyZone Super Cub Mods Part 2 - Aileron Mod

HobbyZone Super Cub Aileron Modification

This blog post is under construction.

This is Part 2 of a three-part upgrade to my HobbyZone Super Cub.

Part 1 was a Spektrum radio conversion
Part 3 is a semi-scale LED lighting upgrade (link coming later)

Project Overview

The HobbyZone Super Cub is an excellent 3-channel training airplane, with decent stock power, docile handling, good slow-speed performance, and benign stall characteristics. It also has the benefit of being very durable and easily modifiable, with replacement parts readily available.

After mastering the stock 3-channel configuration, the next logical progression is to move up to a 4-channel plane. And why invest in a new plane when you can turn the Super Cub into an ideal 4-channel trainer? All you need is a radio/ESC upgrade (see my other blog post on this topic), a couple of servos, and no fear of slicing up your Cub's wing.

This project will lay out how I turned my Super Cub into a 4-channel bird. I welcome all questions and comments about my constraints, methods, and/or results!

Benefits/Downsides
  • + Much improved responsiveness in turns
  • + Allows Super Cub to be used as a low-cost/low-risk 4-channel trainer
  • - Slight added weight; offset by the use of a micro receiver such as the AR6100 instead of the big stock Rx/ESC brick

Constraints
These items constrained how I approached this project. If you don't share the same personal preferences you can adjust the project steps accordingly.
  • Aileron servos must be flush-mounted
  • Only the wing should need to be modified

Parts List
Tools & Materials
  • X-Acto or smilar hobby knife, with brand new blade
  • Packing tape
  • Metal straight-edge
  • Medium-grit sandpaper

Step1 - Flatten the wing

The wing of the Super Cub is designed with an amount of dihedral appropriate for a training aircraft. Unfortunately, the roll stability generated by the dihedral tends to counter the effect of ailerons. You can still get a Super Cub with full stock dihedral to roll, but it won't be nearly as responsive.

Most people use one of two methods to flatten the Super Cub wing: insert a carbon fiber tube/rod, or use packing tape on the bottom to absorb the tension of the wing wanting to "spring back into shape". Several people have used a hair dryer to soften the foam prior to either method.

The method I used (packing tape, no hair dryer) is simple and does not permanently alter the wing, however it's difficult to get a completely flat wing this way. In the future I will probably re-flatten the wing using the hair dryer/carbon-fiber method. For now, the packing tape works fine.
Boidster is offline Find More Posts by Boidster
Last edited by Boidster; Nov 11, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2008, 05:31 PM
Joined Oct 2008
6 Posts
Great blog

Great blog, keep up the good work.
eric hoover is offline Find More Posts by eric hoover
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
Waiting patiently

Boidster, This is by far the best blog on modifying the HBZ SC. I have been looking for one like this. The way you layout the blog. project overview, benefits etc.

I cant wait for the continuation of the blog ... will there be any updates soon? I am planning upgrading my SC too.
shotti15 is offline Find More Posts by shotti15
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
Pro-Pilot
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2010
132 Posts
can some one update this please?
pilotguy172 is offline Find More Posts by pilotguy172
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:21 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts