HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2007, 12:02 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,628 Posts
Discussion
Whimsy flight report, such sweet success!

Shamelessly copied and pasted from the entry on the Small Flying Arts forum. Well, Iīm supposed to be working now, not posting stuff!

Oh joy of joys!

Yesterday I went to Suan Rod Fai to fly the Whimsy, sporting the brand new fin with rudder and 5x3 GWS prop.

It was a complete success, flies wonderfully. Very stable, yet responsive; can climb easily but it`s not a speed demon although it picks up good speed on a dive.
This plane simply doesn`t bother to do stalls, it slows up when the nose goes up until you can`t pull it up anymore and stays there. It can fly pretty slow too, with a small headwind I actually walked alongside it going to a better flight spot.

Talking about wind, it was a bit more windy than I`d like to, there was a bit of turbulence at times but the plane handled it well. If things get out of control I just have to let go of the sticks and it rights itself up in a blink. It`s quite amazing, I would throw the rudder hard one side, the plane makes a jolt and banks almost 90 degrees and points down, let go of the stick and it`s upright and strolling around in half a second. Perfect.

Stable as it is still I made some oopsies (hey it`s practically the first time Iīve flown a R/C plane!) and made a few hard landings, usually by turning too hard at low altitude, I have to learn to coordinate the rudder and elevator better. However the plane only suffered very minor damage on a fuselage longeron, itīs almost not worth repairing since it`s just a little bend.

I was having way too much fun to put on the lab coat and take notes for analysis, but I think I was getting about 10 to 15 minutes of flight time per battery (90mAh), level flight at half throttle with a full battery. Turning radious was as small as about 4 meters in diameter, maintaining altitude. It can make a snap turn in much less space. Rudder gives positive yaw, a lot of it; which I didnīt expect since most of the rudder area is on the top of the fin. It also dips the nose a little when turning and can go into a spiral dive easily on full rudder deflection. But as I said, as soon as you stop monkeying with the controls it snaps back to level flight.

Thereīs still room for improvement though, I have a laundry list of changes to make.

-Get more batteries! down time is depressing, I made 4 flights using 2 cells.
I have a couple 130mAh Full River cells but I forgot to order the Bapi connectors along with them, ack! Iīve already order a couple connectors and a battery charger (plus other goodies) from Indoor Flyer. The batteries weight a little more but I need some ballast on the nose, so it may just as well be some usefull ballas!

-Get a prop adapter, the one I made is not good enough and the prop vibrates and sometimes slips on the shaft, not good.

-Remove the balance masses on the elevator and place them on and extension arm on the actuator. I don`t know why I didn`t think of this on the first place, but I can put the weights that now balance the weight of the elevator so it stays level in neutral position on the actuator itself. That`ll remove almost half a gram from the tail and move it close to the CG, so I should be able to remove almost 1 gram of ballast from the nose. I`ll also adjust the actuator counterweight so it also cancells the weight of the pushrod, now when I pitch up the model the pushrod weight makes the elevator deflect up and vice-versa, which is an unstable state of affairs.

Now some pictures, it wasnīt easy to fly the plane and take pictures at the same time, so I only have a few and blurry ones.

This is part of Suan Rod Fai park, excellent for flying, watch out for the comets though!

Flying low

Climbing up

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_0642.jpg

Fllying over head

Next time Iīll get a cameraman to film some videos.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2007, 12:53 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Nice to see something so pretty can fly, too! You mention rudder, but I thought it was Ailerons and Elevator control?

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Dec 03, 2007, 03:01 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faethor
Nice to see something so pretty can fly, too! You mention rudder, but I thought it was Ailerons and Elevator control?

Jay
Yes, it used to had ailerons, but I found out that this model is way too stable on the roll axis, so they didnīt work well, at all.
So I rebuilt the wing trailing edge and made a new fin from scratch with a rudder, I moved the ailerons actuator down and ran a bamboo pushrod to the rudder. At first I tried to make a pull-pull system with fishing line, but even the smallest I could find wasnīt flexible enough for the job.

Hereīs a couple pictures with the new look:

Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Great looking bird very retro...
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Dec 04, 2007, 07:37 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogel
Great looking bird very retro...
Thanks aerogel, if I have the time Iīll update the plans with the changes I made and post them here.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 10:35 PM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Was waiting for this. Congrats!! See ya over on SFA.
Rick
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,628 Posts
I uploaded a video here:

It was a bit windy last day at the park, but I managed to fly well; now my girlfriend wants me to build one for herself...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:47 PM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Really nice AleG. Thank you.
Rick
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:24 AM
Duh
grain valley mo, or about 25 minutes east of kansas city
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
where can I get a copy of the plans,..... please.

Jason
crashawk is offline Find More Posts by crashawk
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:40 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,628 Posts
Here are the plans, please notice that the elevator on the actual model is bigger and the rudder is also different. I suggest you make them as the ones on the model, not the plan.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:16 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
cool thanks for the plans
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002