Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:27 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2004
1,079 Posts
Question
Props for a large hexa-copter

I have been flying quads for almost two years , The size of the quads and hexa were 650's and some 500 size. The props that I always had good luck were the APC slow fly type. Last year at the Toledo, Ohio show I saw a lot of the new style props for multi-copter that were thin-bladed made of carbon fiber. Very light and very thin.Compare to the standard looking prop these have a more exotic look to them. The question, do they work as good as they look. The reason I ask I am going to build a 800mm Hexa copter. The props that will work are 15x 5.5 CF.

Props for planes and props/blade for helicopters have a airfoil design like a low drag wing .A Lot of blades are of a asymmetrical design some are even symmetrical where top and bottom match. But these new props look like a blade just angled and the thickness of the blade does not very much at all . So I was wondering if anyone has had much luck with them.

The other question that puzzles me. Airplane props where designed for forward speed, helicopter blades were designed for lift and forward speed. So one would think, when it comes to multi-copters we would use props that were designed for lift and some what forward speed.But we all seem to use airplane props.
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
Last edited by Go4it; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:11 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
Hi Go4it - I have been looking at similar and following some of Ferdinands adventures - he swears by the 14x8 Graupners which look similar. I also like the look of the new Tiger props!

Im running 380KV Sunnysky VTOLS and will be using a 4-5S battery once the Y-6 is complete
boranup is offline Find More Posts by boranup