HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:56 AM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Here are some photos of my latest progress. Nacelles have to be widened to fit the gear. Lots of fiddling and fitting.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:23 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,067 Posts
Looks great especially the radiator grill, what are you going to do for exhausts?
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:44 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,685 Posts
The consortium decided a while ago to go with the shrouded exhaust. On the real Mossy's, the shroud hid the exhaust flames at night.
On the 3 we are building, the exhaust shrouds will use approx 1/2 of their length as an air entrance, the other half as an exit.
I'll include a pic for reference. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:52 AM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,163 Posts
That would make it a MK IV, series 2 (if the shroud is long) the short shroud was series 1...
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:20 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,685 Posts
Ken and Paul have selected their own models to mimic. They both will use the original planes markings etc. Both have shrouds, so I picked a shrouded unit but it will not mimic any particular squadron or specific model. Not one of us wanted to make 72 exhaust stacks!!!
Ken and Paul's Mossy's are bombers, mine is supposed to be a night fighter/bomber. I must have machine guns and cannons hehe. Ands some bombs!!
Because I like different, as it is "my" Mosquito, it will have "DNB" markings (my initials). I guess you could call mine the variant they always needed but never made. Heresy, maybe, but I make the choices for my plane. I understand that thru the Mosquitos life, they had 27 variants, and 100's of modified renditions. Doug B
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:57 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,163 Posts
Sweet! I like the night fighter versions.

Here is my minor contribution to the colour scheme.....
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:34 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,685 Posts
Thanks for the pcs Dangaras, as I said in the last post, so many variations!
Graphics arrived today from Callie's, that like 4 working days from ordering, amazing!
Now if the new servos would get here! Doug B
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:05 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,163 Posts
The service from Callie is amazing!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:07 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Beautiful work on the Mossies, gents! What fine efforts!

You may be interested in a thread I started showing photos I took at an airshow while I was visiting family in NZ a few weeks ago. The featured aircraft was the only full-scale flying DH 98 Mosquito at present. It was a real pleasure for me to hear those twin Merlin's in full stereo! And, to see it flying in formation with Spitfires and other great planes.

Watch the in-cockpit video in the thread, as well.

Here's the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823739

Roger
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:52 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,343 Posts
I think it's interesting to note the different sounds that the same Merlin engine gives out in different airframes.

The Mosquito with its wooden airframe damps out a lot of the higher frequencies so has a 'heavier' sound compared to a Spitfire (or a Hurricane) and a Mustang airframe gives the engine an altogether more 'metallic' sound.

I get the last three overhead here reasonably often and have learned to tell a Mustang from Spit or Hurri before seeing it, but there is only a very small difference between Spit and Hurricane... still working on that!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:34 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Beautiful work on the Mossies, gents! What fine efforts!

You may be interested in a thread I started showing photos I took at an airshow while I was visiting family in NZ a few weeks ago. The featured aircraft was the only full-scale flying DH 98 Mosquito at present. It was a real pleasure for me to hear those twin Merlin's in full stereo! And, to see it flying in formation with Spitfires and other great planes.

Watch the in-cockpit video in the thread, as well.

Here's the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823739

Roger
That very plane is to be flown at Hamilton Air Show here in S. Ontario on june 15th/13. So far, at least 30% of our club is making the 120 mile trip to see it and a Lancaster, Spitfire and others fly. Can't wait!! Doug B
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:37 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I think it's interesting to note the different sounds that the same Merlin engine gives out in different airframes.

The Mosquito with its wooden airframe damps out a lot of the higher frequencies so has a 'heavier' sound compared to a Spitfire (or a Hurricane) and a Mustang airframe gives the engine an altogether more 'metallic' sound.

I get the last three overhead here reasonably often and have learned to tell a Mustang from Spit or Hurri before seeing it, but there is only a very small difference between Spit and Hurricane... still working on that!
I've seen a Mustang fly years ago, but couldn't tell you if it had a RR engine or an Allison. Hamilton Museums Lancaster has 4 RR's, it is truly awesome in the air. DougB
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:39 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
That very plane is to be flown at Hamilton Air Show here in S. Ontario on june 15th/13. So far, at least 30% of our club is making the 120 mile trip to see it and a Lancaster, Spitfire and others fly. Can't wait!! Doug B
Kinda spoiled, that Lancaster flys over our field a bunch. Our Warbirds over the bay event, they came by and circled.
Ducky22 is offline Find More Posts by Ducky22
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:41 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,428 Posts
Quote:
Never been to the Hamilton Air show.
That will almost certainly change
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:44 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Very appropriate, as it was originally built in Canada in 1945. After having seen it fly in NZ, I may have to make the trip there myself.

It will eventually make its way to Virginia Beach, VA, to the Air Museum there.

She's a beauty!

Roger
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3