HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:30 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
For you guys having some control glitches, you might check and make sure your battery and ESC power wires are kept away from the Rx and the antenna. I have seen that cause glitches under high load.
Yeah my ESC is tucked way back and my RX is up front on the side of the canopy.

But I think my issue was that TX battery. I slow charged it last night and I didn't have a single glitch at all! I will have to get a new one soon. But for now I am just going to keep it topped off everyday lol

So I was finally able to fly 2 batteries without having any glitches but mannnnn does mine like to Tip stall now lol It was very windy out and it seemed like anytime I turned without any power it would stall spin! Nose took 2 more big beatings lol I am gonna have to boil and re-glue it soon!

I guess I just have to keep on the throttle a little.

Maybe I have too much differential?
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:22 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
It's hard to believe you can tip stall this bird. I'll have to give it a good effort and see if I can do it. I know if you use rudder the plane will bank steep very quickly because of those up turned wing tips. I found it much more responsive and fun to fly when I maxed out the aileron throw by using the outermost hole on the servo horn and the middle hole on the control horn. When it starts to turn too steep, you can correct it much quicker that way. I am always light on the rudder because it makes the bird bank so sharply.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Yeah I think I might have had too much differential, it would drop a wing like nothing and it hasn't been like this before lol when I lowered it to 20% it was a bit better! Idk if the wind had anything to do with it but it was pretty windy today

I bought the PNF version and thought my aileron servo's came maxed out but I double checked and they are 1 hole in from the farthest on the control horn. I'll have to switch them because it still has a hard time rolling and I think the differential is making it pitch down a even more in a roll.
Last edited by kennyhoc3; Dec 02, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
To all of you having control surface issues:

my throws at maximum deflection are -

aileron: 3/4" up and a bit less than that down
(measured from the inside of the aileron - closest to the fuselage)

rudder: almost an inch left/right

elevator: less than 1/4" up/down

I haven't had any problems that my thumbs didn't cause.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:42 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,790 Posts
Hey Kenny,

Differential shouldn't make it pitch down in a roll it will just be the wing tips and the nature of the bird ... it won't roll like a fighter. Aim the nose up before you do your rolls and use a little rudder as well. Kinda like a snap roll but don't be too enthusiastic or you will take it home in a box. About 30% differential should be enough.

At slow speed the AXN WILL tip stall on a turn - it won't fly under a fast jog pace so at low altitude make sure you fly it.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:17 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
Skellator, perhaps your wing is warped. Also, the rudder has a huge effect on roll with those upturned wing tips. Are you sure you don't just have a yaw issue? Try trimming with rudder. Adding weight to a wing seems like an odd solution.
im sure i dont have yaw issues, happen only in glider, after adding the extra weight the plane is tracking straight now with only few click on the aileron and 0 on rudder

all history now, i migrated my fpv plane to a skysurfer and the axn only for bashing around probably gonna cut the wing tip
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Can't catch a break =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Hey Kenny,

Differential shouldn't make it pitch down in a roll it will just be the wing tips and the nature of the bird
At slow speed the AXN WILL tip stall on a turn - it won't fly under a fast jog pace so at low altitude make sure you fly it.
Yeah you are probably right its gotta be the dihedral lol

So after yesterdays semi successful flights (minus the tips stalls) I decided to take her out today since the weather was beautiful! I turned the differential down to 20% and she was flying perfect! I was finally having alot of fun flying in a big open field untill about 5min in....
I tried to see how well she would roll completely after lowering the dif. I got half way and the dihedral I am guessing made it nose straight down like usual. I started pulling out of it and what do you know I lost control! motor stuck at maybe 30-40% and she slammed into the ground at a 45degree angle pretty hard. Wings flew off, battery flew out, esc came with it. I have a few broken pieces but should be fixable. I am still in awe how tough this foam is! It really takes a beating! I figured she's be in a ton of pieces but only a few cracks in the wings and fuse and little piece of foam missing off the wing.

I am still completely irritated I can't catch a break....I don't have any other tx's to try and all but my micro p-51 is broke. The RX and Sat. were not blinking. I never had this issue with this tx/rx in my other plane. Could it be the ESC causing the glitches? any help would really save me from pulling my hair out lol
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:48 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
I wonder if these glitches are from interference or from a weak BEC. The stock ESC only has a 2 amp BEC and there are 4 9 gram servos in the AXN. I have on occasion noticed some servo jitters at high powered flight, nothing fatal but the AXN sometimes does a little wiggle dance while buzzing the runway at wide open throttle.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I wonder if these glitches are from interference or from a weak BEC. The stock ESC only has a 2 amp BEC and there are 4 9 gram servos in the AXN. I have on occasion noticed some servo jitters at high powered flight, nothing fatal but the AXN sometimes does a little wiggle dance while buzzing the runway at wide open throttle.
Im using a 45a turnigy trust with a 3a BEC. I might switch to the stock esc and fly around and see if I lose contact.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:57 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,054 Posts
Just wondered if you are using a receiver with just one antenna. I have new ones with one antenna on the receivers but I am not brave enough to use them. Some have great success with them but I think one day they will cause a problem.

Even on my small flying wings I get the longer antennas and get one out wide under the wing away from the other electronics and because I am flying FPV and going a fair distance the other antenna goes in a plastic tube vertically.

With one antenna and if some metal in the plane is blocking the signal from the TX you could come down. Even pointing the TX antenna gives less signal than holding it vertically. That is what happened when I did a walk test with one today. I got the low signal beep when the TX was pointed at the plane and much better when the TX was vertically. Maybe it depends how the receiver antennas are setup.

You may be using a receiver with two antennas? Just interested to know.

(When mine just dropped out of the sky four times it was the c of gravity was just back a very little amount but this does not sound like your problem - I initially thought it was an electrically problem including the BEC but just turned out to be the c of g too far back.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
Yeah you are probably right its gotta be the dihedral lol

So after yesterdays semi successful flights (minus the tips stalls) I decided to take her out today since the weather was beautiful! I turned the differential down to 20% and she was flying perfect! I was finally having alot of fun flying in a big open field untill about 5min in....
I tried to see how well she would roll completely after lowering the dif. I got half way and the dihedral I am guessing made it nose straight down like usual. I started pulling out of it and what do you know I lost control! motor stuck at maybe 30-40% and she slammed into the ground at a 45degree angle pretty hard. Wings flew off, battery flew out, esc came with it. I have a few broken pieces but should be fixable. I am still in awe how tough this foam is! It really takes a beating! I figured she's be in a ton of pieces but only a few cracks in the wings and fuse and little piece of foam missing off the wing.

I am still completely irritated I can't catch a break....I don't have any other tx's to try and all but my micro p-51 is broke. The RX and Sat. were not blinking. I never had this issue with this tx/rx in my other plane. Could it be the ESC causing the glitches? any help would really save me from pulling my hair out lol
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Just bought a ready to fly version for my brother, got it in last night. I have seen references to the stock ESC or was it the motor going up in smoke when they are powered up...is this still an issue?
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:10 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
You may be using a receiver with two antennas? Just interested to know.
I am using an OrangeRX 610 It has 1 antenna and a satellite rx with antenna
It worked fine in my 47" edge 540, never had an issue with it. My esc fried in the edge and I think the esc took the rudder servo out with it. It might have messed up the RX too I am thinking because I cannot get the ailerons to work together on that plane, they will work separately on each channel but not when they are both plugged in? But I haven't messed around with it enough to completely figure out haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
Just bought a ready to fly version for my brother, got it in last night. I have seen references to the stock ESC or was it the motor going up in smoke when they are powered up...is this still an issue?
They now come with 25A esc's but they are still only 2A SBEC's I think some people were having issues with brown outs. I have seen others run the axn stock and have no issues though. I am about to switch back to the stock esc to see if my new one is interfering with my RX
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
They now come with 25A esc's but they are still only 2A SBEC's I think some people were having issues with brown outs. I have seen others run the axn stock and have no issues though. I am about to switch back to the stock esc to see if my new one is interfering with my RX
thanks for the information; since we are new to flying i think i will delete the use of the rudder until we upgrade the ESC..
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
thanks for the information; since we are new to flying i think i will delete the use of the rudder until we upgrade the ESC..
Don't do that with the AXN! Use the rudder.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:57 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Don't do that with the AXN! Use the rudder.
I'd have to agree haha the rudder is very useful!