Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:11 PM
Rock Hill, SC
Joined May 2002
453 Posts
Flaps Up or Down?

I have the flaps set up to use on my bobolink....I gave a few tests today, a little windy for test flights but....I dont know which way the flaps are supposed to go, I tried them both ways but I could not tell the difference.. I had some elevator mixed in but I also dont know if it was going the right way... Help please.
amike_321 is offline Find More Posts by amike_321
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2003, 02:08 PM
Rock Hill, SC
Joined May 2002
453 Posts
ok what about elevaltor mix?

Do i also need elevator mixed in? or is it personal preference? I think I'll go with the flaps down and use rudder for the approach.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 07:07 PM
Rock Hill, SC
Joined May 2002
453 Posts
thanks, it sounds so cool.....I wonder how much throw I need for my flaps?
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:50 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
You want as much flaps as you can get without running the servo arms into the wing when you add full flaps and full left or right aileron together. At least 30 degrees, and 45 would be better.

And to help the problem of the decreased roll response, mix a bunch more rudder into your ailerons, and flick the mix on while landing.
Some radios a landing mode where you can use high aileron->rudder mix, and normal mode with lower percentage mix.

What I do (and a lot of others), is put the flaperon control on the throttle stick (I prefer up is up, down is down). Then have a mix of flaps -> down elevator (or throttle -> down elevator) depending on the radio. Doesn't need to be much. A couple degrees down at full flaps to keep the nose from popping up at speed.

Here's my preferred use if I want to get the glider down and into my hand ASAP. Say I'm starting up high. I make a fast run downwind (flaps on full if I'm diving down from very high), bank hard (almost 90 degrees), throw the flaps on all the way and pull back hard, maybe even going around twice, burning off kinetic energy and altitude with the flaps. I'll extend the duration of the turn staying downwind of me until the glider is going close to it's flaps-off minimum airspeed and at the desired altitude to make a smooth upwind final approach (don't end the turn high). Roll out pointing upwind while reducing flaps to keep speed up a little, and glide it in toward me, feathering the flaps on and off progressively as necessary to lose a bit of speed, and right at the end reduce my stall speed, flare, and place the glider in hand. Using this technique, I can discus up 85+ feet, and have the glider back in my hand in less than 10 seconds.

It's important not to lean on the flaps on final though. Use em hard to perfectly set up the approach, then use only in moderation most of the way in so you can speed up, slow down as necessary. I see a lot of folks throw em on, slow WAY down, keep em on, and then discover it's still flying slowly, but has almost no roll response, and a little puff of wind blows the glider off to one side or another. I also see people make their turn from downwind to upwind real high, throw the flaps on and then still have to dive down to kill altitude, and end up overshooting.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2003, 10:00 PM
Rock Hill, SC
Joined May 2002
453 Posts
I have a Futaba 6xa transmitter, I barely know how to get the mixes setup, but im learning....Is there an easy way to set the flaperon mixing on the throttle stick, sounds like it would be familiar as down is "motor off" and up is "motor on" but there is no motor....
I have had about 20-25 launches on this plane...I am getting smoother launches and about the same launch height but I am still getting used to not throwing the model and letting it come out of my fingers....thanks guys
Last edited by amike_321; Feb 26, 2003 at 12:39 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2003, 08:49 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Screaming in...

One word of caution. If you try screaming in. Do not try to catch it for a while. Aim past your self...just in case. Once you get the technique down, go impress your friends.
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson