HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2014, 12:29 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
480 Posts
Ok guys & gals, I need your assistance. My son and I are going to the LHS to purchase a new kit. We have been eyeing the RV-4 (40 size) because we like to build scale aircraft and to be honest, it is in our price range ($99). I wish they still offered the 60 size. We would love to build a Cherokee or a Cessna 182 that would accommodate the .91 OS FS we have, but the price of those is crazy Anyway, please sell me on this airplane (build, looks, flight characteristics, FUN). Thank you in advance for your comments.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2014, 12:46 PM
David
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2012
159 Posts
The instructions on the wing build are vague, but if you have prior kit experience, you'll figure it out. I have two of these. One, built per the kit and the second built concurrenlty, but with lots of modifications. Both fly exceptionally well. No bad habbits. People will tell you that the flaps aren't necessary because it will float in. This is true. The way I look at it, coffee in the morning isn't necessary, but I sure enjoy a cup. You will enjoy the flaps too. It makes for a very scale landing. With flaps, I can come in slow enough to land on one main wheel and hop back and forth with aileron blips.

One of the mods I did was to add tabs to my control surfaces. They are sometimes called servo tabs on full-scale aircraft. They offset the amount of effort needed for the surface movement by putting an offsetting force in the airflow.
dmarusa is online now Find More Posts by dmarusa
Last edited by dmarusa; Jun 06, 2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 06:05 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
Flying wise - yep +1 to what dmarusa said....and I loved those flaps - had to actually ADD power when used to land!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Jun 07, 2014, 02:29 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
480 Posts
Went and did it! Looks like fun. Hope to get started within the next few days.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 05:25 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
Keep us updated....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:02 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
hey guys,

been awhile since I last posted. Still haven't completed the build yet but have begun covering, tail feathers complete and bottom of the wing done. Looks like a rainy weekend so may get the top of the wing done and perhaps start covering the fuse.

I've been working with ultracoat and this is my 1st covering job. Been finding it pretty easy to work with. I've tested putting ultracoat on some of the scrap ABS bits and overlapped it over the seam on the wing tips, it looks like if I am careful with the temperature I could get it to maybe work on the cowl.
Looking for some guidance from folks like rcw etc. with more experience with this stuff whether I should attempt to add some graphics on the cowl with the ultracoat and what may be the best method to accomplish this - or not.

Hopefully I'll post some pics soon. As for flying still doing simple circuits with the 40 sized pulse. Weather has been terrible so far for flying so not getting the kind of 'stick' time I'd like at this time of the season.
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Jun 19, 2014, 01:13 PM
United States, GA, Cartersville
Joined Jan 2014
186 Posts
You might have better luck painting the cowl. Looks like Hanger 9 may carry paint that matches the Ultracote color you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
hey guys,

been awhile since I last posted. Still haven't completed the build yet but have begun covering, tail feathers complete and bottom of the wing done. Looks like a rainy weekend so may get the top of the wing done and perhaps start covering the fuse.

I've been working with ultracoat and this is my 1st covering job. Been finding it pretty easy to work with. I've tested putting ultracoat on some of the scrap ABS bits and overlapped it over the seam on the wing tips, it looks like if I am careful with the temperature I could get it to maybe work on the cowl.
Looking for some guidance from folks like rcw etc. with more experience with this stuff whether I should attempt to add some graphics on the cowl with the ultracoat and what may be the best method to accomplish this - or not.

Hopefully I'll post some pics soon. As for flying still doing simple circuits with the 40 sized pulse. Weather has been terrible so far for flying so not getting the kind of 'stick' time I'd like at this time of the season.
N410DC is online now Find More Posts by N410DC
Old Jun 19, 2014, 04:02 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
hey guys,

bunkai,

You will likely have trouble getting a finish you will be happy with if you try to use film to cover the cowl. You can most certainly apply some trim to match any lines you have elsewhere on the plane, but you will likely have to paint the base finish on. Where you will have trouble is around all the corners. Typically you need a bit more heat to stretch the covering to get around the curves, and that may end up distorting the cowl. You will be best off painting the cowl and wheel pants. Unfortunately glow fuel is not very friendly with most paints. Epoxy paint usually holds up the best. If you need a match, it may be difficult, as few rattle can options left. You can get it custom matched, but problem is, it is a little expensive and shipping is expensive too. You may want to look at LustreKote from Topflite. They have really cut back on the colours they offer, but you may be able to find it in a hobby store that has older stock of it. Depending on your colour scheme, it may work out.

Another option to look at is Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover spray cans. I have only used it once on my Sukhoi as needed a match to a discontinued paint. The spray nozzle is amazing and gave a great finish and the match to the film was almost perfect. It is going on year 3 now, and holding up well, but it is a pretty clean running engine, so never a big mess on the cowl. I wonder if an epoxy clear coat would be fine over top to protect from the fuel....never tried, but will next time I have to use it on a glow bird.

Hope that helps.

My build has been stalled. Been really busy at work and other things, so little RV will have to wait again. Oh well. What I have done so far, am pretty happy with.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:21 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N410DC View Post
You might have better luck painting the cowl. Looks like Hanger 9 may carry paint that matches the Ultracote color you are using.
If I am not mistaken...I believe all the UltraCote paint has been discontinued. Even the the TopFlite LustreKote line has been reduced to only a few colours.

Klass Kote and PPG are the only two I am aware of that can match epoxy paint with a film colour.

http://www.klasskote.com/

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...paintmatch.htm
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jun 20, 2014, 08:03 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
I've painted the cowl white with Tamiya lacquer. I did add a blue stripe to the side but don't like how it turned out and was hoping I could use the ultracoat to add the graphical elements over the paint. It does seem to go on well to abs scraps and I have the infrared temp gauge to help dial in the temps.
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:00 PM
United States, MN, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2013
20 Posts
Paint

I took a swatch of my Ultracote to a local big box store and had them mix up a quart of Rustoleum enamel paint. Then I bought a Preval spray kit off the shelf for like 6 bucks.
If the person mixing is good and you have time to be patient, they can do a great job as evident from the results I was able to get. You will have to thin the paint down quite a bit to get a nice spray.

Mike
MikeJM is offline Find More Posts by MikeJM
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:48 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
480 Posts
That turned out EXCELLENT! I'm going to do the same for mine when it's time. I also need to do my sons Taylorcraft cowl. What do you thin the paint with? Is it just trial and error while thinning until you get it right? We will be running glow fuel. Is enamel fuel proof?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:04 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
Mike, that looks GREAT!!!! And I like your overall color scheme. Ya did gooooooood
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2014, 07:34 PM
United States, MN, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2013
20 Posts
Paint

Thanks guys,

It's an oil based enamel. I thinned it per mfgs suggestion, mineral spirits or acetone.

I don't know if oil based enamel is fuel proof.

Mike
MikeJM is offline Find More Posts by MikeJM