Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2001, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2001
1 Posts
Getting FirebirdXL to Fly Again

After flying (and crashing) my FirebirdXL for a few weeks, it finally died. The servo no longer moves. I had a great final flight, but when I inspected the plane after the landing, I noticed that the ruddervators on the vtail wouldn't move anymore. The transmitter still controls the motor, though.

I'm handy with a voltmeter, so I was wondering what would be most likely to burn out first, the servo motor, transistors, or another electronic component; I'd like to replace the burned out component rather than buy a new fusalage. If it's the motor, does anyone know where I can get a replacement? (I've determined the prop motor is a Mabuchi RK-370SD.)

I assume the problem is with the receiver/servo rather than the transmitter because I adjusted the linkage such that the left ruddervator stopped moving before the servo reached the end of it's rotation. In otherwords, the servo was trying to pull the left ruddervator when it was near the end of it's maximum rotation, but couldn't because the ruddervator couldn't physically move anymore. I assume I inadvertently burned something out as a result.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on how to diagnose the appropriate, broken component.

Joel
joelg is offline Find More Posts by joelg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2001, 09:30 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Looks like you may have to send it to horizon hobby and have them look at the pcb board inside the fuse. They don't sell the parts independantly, just the wing and tail section and prop. Other than that, I'd say a new fuse...

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit