HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Apr 2013
458 Posts
Discussion
RC canard biplane - intriguinlgly ugly

I've re-used pieces of my biplane and my canard plane to come up with this canard biplane.
Ugly as sin, but it was a fun, interesting challenge.
Maiden flight was this morning, but didn't have a camera-man available to film it.

RC canard BIPLANE advantages and disadvantages,. PART 1 (3 min 51 sec)

I love re-using pieces of other airplanes to come up with a new creation
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nuteman; Dec 18, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2014, 09:32 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Another 3 winger.

Hello Nuteman: I worked up a design for a canard biplane while working on a design for my second airplane. I didn't use it because it the computer model turned out to be too aerobatic for what I wanted (a trainer). Interestingly, it had very strong yaw / roll coupling. It would do rudder rolls without any problem - it only needed ailerons for cross wind landings etc.
Mitchell Covell is offline Find More Posts by Mitchell Covell
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:16 PM
Joined Apr 2013
458 Posts
Yeah, most canard planes are not suitable as trainers due to their relatively high landing/take-off/stall speeds (in comparison to non-canard planes of the same wing loading and general dimensions).
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:00 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Covell View Post
...it had very strong yaw / roll coupling. It would do rudder rolls without any problem...
Very typical for biplanes, canard or otherwise. I've had a bit of experience with that phenomenon:
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:29 AM
they aren't that close.. oh
Joined Feb 2013
70 Posts
why did you build so many bipes?!!!
davidio1000 is offline Find More Posts by davidio1000
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:54 AM
Joined Apr 2013
458 Posts
A couple of reasons:

1. The idea of getting all that additional wing area without increasing the overall dimensions of the plane intrigued me.
2. To see first-hand the benefits and disadvantages of applying the biplane approach to various layouts (conventional, canard, etc.). Most notable disadvantage: Hugely decreased glide ratio due to high drag. Most noticeable benefit: Very low wing loading, so really easy to hand launch.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel