Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:02 PM
México, D.F.
Joined Oct 2004
888 Posts
Question
Carved fuselage airplane

Hi guys!!!
I want to ask a question to the gurus
When I was young use to fly control lines, I remember that my favorite was a carved fuselage airplane, don’t remember who made the kit, but I want to fly this plane again, those planes are still in the market? Do you know who made those kits?

Best regards
escipion is online now Find More Posts by escipion
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,155 Posts
Black Hawk Models.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:20 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by escipion View Post
Hi guys!!!
I want to ask a question to the gurus
When I was young use to fly control lines, I remember that my favorite was a carved fuselage airplane, don’t remember who made the kit, but I want to fly this plane again, those planes are still in the market? Do you know who made those kits?
Between 1947 and 1960 or so, there were three main brands of flying log kits, most of which were for .049 to .09 engines: Enterprise, Monarch, and Scientific. Monarch was bought out by someone else and closed down in the late 1950s. Something similar occurred to Enterprise in the early 1960s, leaving only Scientific.

Scientific kept going into the 1970s, I think. Today, the type model involved is available from Black Hawk.

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Jan 2009
117 Posts
carved fuselage airplanes

I had an Enterprise New Era that I powered with a Bullet .29. It had a carved two part fuselage and the wings were all balsa as I remember as this was a long time ago. My friend had a Scientific Model that was also a two part hollow log fuselage powered by an O&R front rotary .23. called the Dynamic.
Logair8452
logair8452 is offline Find More Posts by logair8452
Old Nov 07, 2013, 10:09 AM
México, D.F.
Joined Oct 2004
888 Posts
Wooow, thank you very much Guys.
In the Black Hawk page I found a plane similar to the one I flew bringing me memories

Best regards
escipion is online now Find More Posts by escipion
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2010
7 Posts
The fellow who runs Blackhawk is looking to retire so is liquidating his stock. If he still has something that tickles your fancy, best order it sooner rather than later.
kevbo is offline Find More Posts by kevbo
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
191 Posts
Up date

On my retirement; my wife informed me that I can not retire. While we have signed on with Hobby King to supply them with control line models and we are having out best year ever, wife's health is still in doupt. Her cancer has returned and we are currently waiting to see how bad it will be. She will not let me quit as long as her health is good. I am currently making Black Hawk Models more efficent so that I will not need to work so hard and we will be able to get the models out more quickly.

We get very little mention in model magazines, but we average 1,000 kits per year and this year we have 1,200 sold in 6 months. There 6 Musciano contest in the U. S. and Black Hawk Models are the majority models that are flown in these contest. Well that is enough tooting my horn.

WATCH for NEW model kits!!!
Larry Rice
Black Hawk Models
BLACK HAWK MOD is offline Find More Posts by BLACK HAWK MOD
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAWK MOD View Post
... Her cancer has returned and we are currently waiting to see how bad it will be. She will not let me quit as long as her health is good. ...
WATCH for NEW model kits!!!
Larry Rice
Black Hawk Models
That is such a mixture of good and bad news that I'm at a loss for words.

Take care. Of her and yourself.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:54 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
Larry,

I wish both you and your wife well, sir.

I hope that she recovers soon!

I am glad to see that Black Hawk models is going strong!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Oct 2004
565 Posts
I may be wrong but I think Cleveland Kits used to do carved fuses
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
191 Posts
At one point almost everyone was making carved fuselage models. American Junior (Fire Ball) Consolidated (Tarpon) Goldberg (Zing) Scientific made several before 1/2 A came along (Dynamic, Stunt Master and many more) several of the names were used later on profiles. I have a 1946 catalog of model airplane kits and almost all have hollow log construction.

Thanks for your kind thoughts for my wife and myself.

Larry
Black Hawk Models
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:41 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I wish you and your wife the best of luck. I just lost my wife to cancer, and it sure can knock all your enthusiasm out of you. You are doing the model industry a huge favour with your efforts, and I hope you can sustain them through the problems yet to come.

Terry Lyttle
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
191 Posts
Thank You for your kind wishes, I am sorry that I could not respond sooner, but I was in the emergency room all day yesterday. I am back cutting wood today and felling much better.

Larry
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:26 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
"emergeny room" - - - doesn't sound like a nice day...
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2009
191 Posts
Well, I never rode in the back of an ambulance before ... that was interesting. I drove one in the military but riding is different. But, all is well and I am back cutting wood. I wonder how much that will cost???

Larry