Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:17 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,876 Posts
Believe it or not I can't compress the springs with the batteries in . Unless I come in hot on the gear it won't compress . Each spring is rated for 7 pounds of pressure I really needed to push on them to compress . That of course was without the tail on .

I have one question for everyone , want to hear your opinion .
Should I go and go all the way across the bottom or leave the pontoons to the wheels only . Right now the wheels are hidden under the frame , nothing covering them .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,202 Posts
[QUOTEI have one question for everyone , want to hear your opinion .
Should I go and go all the way across the bottom or leave the pontoons to the wheels only . Right now the wheels are hidden under the frame , nothing covering them .[/QUOTE]

Maybe a good thing the springs are stiff.

My vote on the sponsons:

Stop them at the fuselage sides and save some weight. As long as the wheels are tucked away it will look great.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:51 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,161 Posts
I like the minimalistic approach. Looks are highly subjective. Do what you want here and show it off is what I say.

Well the franken 800 Gobby flew just fine yesterday in astoundingly high winds. While we were out flying the wind tore down trees all over town. Had a blast! Until my inverted 600 lost something holding the canopy on or? I am headed out to the flying area to continue looking for my missing tail section. We found the batteries on fire a full 150 ft away from where it exploded in midair. Lol....... What a show.

Good thing it just rained hard.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:15 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,844 Posts
I have a friend with a Vario Airwolf. His retracts have extremely soft springs. More just for looks so as you take off the gear expands. also so the servo don't have to do a lot of work because his gear actually folds up just like the real deal and when fully landed a break is applied so to do a rolling he has to make the heli light on the wheels.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:00 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,876 Posts
Ok guys , then that's that . No bottom except where the gear is . It would be at least another day worth of work to make.
Need to get some magnets at Home Depot and epoxy them in the balsa .
Old Today, 09:43 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
We know that the 770 works really well on fixed wheels.
From that I think the retracts will be a none issue.
My question is how the ship will react to the spring struts.
You jumbo will be the pioneer with that discovery.
I am betting just like the initial installation of the fixed gear that the springs will be a none event also.
It will look pretty cool compressing the strut springs with the weight of the ship and see them extend as the collective goes up.
Yup...pretty cool!
I am definitely not the pioneer on this , just expanding from the master I like different