Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
The ad from HobbyKing referenced above is WRONG. There are 3 small battery connectors used in the E-Flite line of Ultra Micro planes and helis. Starting with the smallest connector is the UM (Ultra Micro) also known as a Pico connector. It is a 2 pin connector used in MSR/MCX/MCX2/nano CP X/ Champ/Vapor/UM T-28, etc.
The next larger connector is the JST-PH 2 pin. It is also sometimes shown as the JST-PH2 or a MCPX connector. This connector is used in the MCPX heli, and a few planes.
The largest of the 3 battery connectors is the JST-PH 3 pin. It is also sometimes shown as the JST-PH3 or a UMX connector. This connector is used in the UMX Beast plane.
Please note that I am only talking about the smaller connectors used by E-Flite/ Parkzone etc. The larger Deans/ EC3/ APP/EC5 and other connectors are better discussed in other threads. Connectors can be a very confusing topic.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Last edited by Scarface26; Oct 14, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2008
143 Posts
Does the nCP X work with Walkera radios running the Deviation TX firmware?
Zoide is offline Find More Posts by Zoide
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Guys, how long does a battery last if I am flying normal calm MCX-style, no 3D maneuvers?
dimastep is offline Find More Posts by dimastep
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Mar 2007
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimastep View Post
Guys, how long does a battery last if I am flying normal calm MCX-style, no 3D maneuvers?
Once the battery and motors have a few runs on them, about 4 minutes or just over is what I am getting.
dway is offline Find More Posts by dway
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dway View Post
Once the battery and motors have a few runs on them, about 4 minutes or just over is what I am getting.
Hm...not much
MCX can easily go twice that long.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
Does the nCP X work with Walkera radios running the Deviation TX firmware?
The nCP X uses a Spektrum DSM2/DSMX receiver, just like all of the other Blade RTF & BNF birds. Check the Deviation website & forum to see what they say about compatibility. BTW - running firmware in a tx that alters the modulation scheme and/or RF output is illegal in most countries. I suggest checking to be sure that the firmware is legal in your country. For instance - in the US, it is a very serious violation (felony) of FCC rules to make non-FCC type-accepted modifications to any transmitter.

Quote:
Hm...not much
This is to be expected. The mCX has but a fraction of the power, a top-speed of only 2-3 MPH, and is incapable of aerobatics. The nCPX is a high-performance 3D heli.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 14, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:00 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Hm...not much
My son can fly the Champ for about 15 minutes or more on a single 150mAh battery. It is actually quite amazing how long a battery lasts with it if you are mellow on the throttle...but just like the mcx you cant compare the two for power usage

I get about 3 minutes on the nano and I am quite happy with that for what I can do with it
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

This is to be expected. The mCX has but a fraction of the power, a top-speed of only 2-3 MPH, and is incapable of aerobatics. The nCPX is a high-performance 3D heli.

Joel
Yeah, I agree in 3D aerobatics mode. But if I were to fly it "like an old man" (for argument's sake), would it not last longer?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:10 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,254 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I agree in 3D aerobatics mode. But if I were to fly it "like an old man" (for argument's sake), would it not last longer?
The manual says 3 minutes for agressive flying, 4 minutes for milder flying.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jun 2007
458 Posts
Quote:
lol. If you get a 160mah battery and fly like an old man, you could probably push 5 or 6 minutes.

Please don't ask me how I know that......
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
It does last longer. 3 minutes of aerobatics vs 4 minutes of sport-flying. But expecting the flight-time of a high-performance CP 3D heli (even when flown very conservatively) to be similar to that of a similar-weight, extremely low-performance FP coaxial bird when flown aggressively is similar to expecting the the gas mileage of a Ferrari F12berlinetta driven as if there were an egg under the gas pedal to be similar to that of, say, a Toyota Camry with a 4-banger when driven aggressively (the cars are of similar weight). However, things very rarely work out that way - due to differences in efficiency. For instance - the nCP X uses symmetrical blades, while the mCX uses undercambered blades. The mCX has a very low headspeed, while the nCP X has a much higher headspeed. Therefore, the nCP X requires more input power to the rotor just to hover & fly around, even though the birds weigh about the same.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,532 Posts
I look at it this way when flying a CP heli. If I haven't crashed it in 4 minutes, it's time to put it down cause it's going to happen if I fly much longer. Plus that motor needs to cool for 5 minutes at that point anyway.

I went ahead and ordered mine and got off the fence. I figured I have wasted at lease this much money on junk that won't fly or won't fly well. I need to get something that flies nice. I'll just be hovering and flying circuits and practicing my coordinated turns so that by the time I actually get a 450 in the air, I'll have much better chances of keeping it in the air. Money well spent, plus I can take it everywhere.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Seven 001 silicone o-rings seem to help. I replaced the three black rings on the lower swash, and put an additional ring on each end of each link.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Hm...not much
If you have a computerized radio, you can experiment lowering the throttle curve and trying non semetrical blades ... but then why not just fly an msr or an mcx?
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It does last longer. 3 minutes of aerobatics vs 4 minutes of sport-flying. But expecting the flight-time of a high-performance CP 3D heli (even when flown very conservatively) to be similar to that of a similar-weight, extremely low-performance FP coaxial bird when flown aggressively is similar to expecting the the gas mileage of a Ferrari F12berlinetta driven as if there were an egg under the gas pedal to be similar to that of, say, a Toyota Camry with a 4-banger when driven aggressively (the cars are of similar weight). However, things very rarely work out that way - due to differences in efficiency. For instance - the nCP X uses symmetrical blades, while the mCX uses undercambered blades. The mCX has a very low headspeed, while the nCP X has a much higher headspeed. Therefore, the nCP X requires more input power to the rotor just to hover & fly around, even though the birds weigh about the same.

Joel
That's actually a very good analogy and good explanation. Thanks!