3,244 Posts
Nice
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CO, Peyton
Joined Jul 2008
54 Posts
Got my delivery confirmation at 1AM. Looks like it will be here Monday. Awesome build thread. Any plans for a build video in the future? I've been flying my Yak to death, and can't wait to fly the Extravaganva.
alchem is offline Find More Posts by alchem
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,646 Posts
Has anybody thought about running a cf strip down the length of the aileron to make it 100% straight. BTW just started on my red one. Not that the ailerons are grossly warped, they're not, in fact they are really good., but there is the slightest bow to them. i've done it with other EPP wings and it really works well with minimal weight gain. Pain in the butt to do but I'm throwing a larger motor on so I think I'll go ahead. Going to be a very nice looking plane.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
if any one has any special requests for pics or insight or anything else just let me know.
cdee
What is the length? Wondering for transport reasons.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchem View Post
What is the length? Wondering for transport reasons.
Nevermind, got it from PDF.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
Has anybody thought about running a cf strip down the length of the aileron ....
Steve,

Yes, thought about it but I'm getting good aileron response right now.

One thing I did do was add CF wing struts. This took out some wing flex and a little twist between the wing and the fuselage. I did notice that the glue had released on part of one of the CF spars in the wing so I re-glued it and added the struts because I do a fair amount of flying in very windy conditions.

Overall I saw a small yet noticeable improvement on what was already a good flying plane.
KE Spin is online now Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:45 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,646 Posts
Good idea. I'll keep an eye on that. I did add the carbon ribbon, super straight and very stiff now. Still a pain to do since you have to cut 2 separate slits very close together, pull out the foam and wick in with thin ca to avoid deforming the aileron. Plus being very careful not to cut all the way through the aileron. But doable if careful.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:28 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Pics?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
I was thinking of just running a thin strip along the trailing edge of the aileron. You have about 1/8" thickness of aileron to work with so a nice little thin strip of CF might work nicely.

Flight update:
Tonight I did a low ke pass (3 - 4" off the ground) across the black top. One of the guys said, "That looks nice...how hard is it to hold", so I took my right and off the transmitter and put it up in the air. He gawked and said, "man that's cool!". I had to agree with him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to brag, the plane is just that good.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Pics?
Not the best pics.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
Steve,

Looks great! Should really stiffen up the ailerons.

Another flight update:
I tried an 11 x 4.7 APC slow flyer and was very pleasantly surprised by how it well it worked. Motor, batteries and ESC came down much cooler as compared to when I used the 12 x 6 apc thin electric prop.

NOTE: Watch the aileron differential. Use 10% more UP than Down. Really makes for a nice axial and fast rolling circle.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:32 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,646 Posts
Thanks for that aileron differential tip.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:50 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
I was thinking of just running a thin strip along the trailing edge of the aileron. You have about 1/8" thickness of aileron to work with so a nice little thin strip of CF might work nicely.

Flight update:
Tonight I did a low ke pass (3 - 4" off the ground) across the black top. One of the guys said, "That looks nice...how hard is it to hold", so I took my right and off the transmitter and put it up in the air. He gawked and said, "man that's cool!". I had to agree with him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to brag, the plane is just that good.
Originally read this as you handing him the TX. Now that would be cool!
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
Haven't passed the TX to anyone just yet but tonight's flights were so good that I might pass it around a little this weekend now that I have got things just the way I like.

Did I mention that this is one very fine flying plane.

Once again, great job Telink and Twisted Hobbys.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:05 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
id be glad to try it out . Going to PA on the 7-9th?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)