HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
41 Posts
well if the rudder in mixed in on the board depending on the radio you have you may be able to mix it out. I have a x9303 and if you can mix aileron in to rudder you should be able to mix it out. now this is just my theory right now while i sit at work but i will set up a model tomorrow in my radio and see if its possible to mix it out if so then this opens the board to be using in a any plane but just mixing out the rudder input to the aileron until HH starts to sell boards that are programable then you could use the programmer when it comes out and reprogram it then
flyguyrick is offline Find More Posts by flyguyrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:18 AM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
865 Posts
Ok thanks for the info´s,
perhaps I buy one and test it.

It will go in a Micro EDF plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523519

regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:56 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
I'm really liking my Hyper Taxi for indoor flight. The gym at work is great for many of my helicopters but too small for planes except for something like the Vapor. And now the Hyper Taxi is a new item to add to my indoor fleet. I put 8 packs through it tonight. The maiden was a wee bit exciting but I adjusted pretty fast. I wacked the nose pretty hard so it's not looking pretty any more but it sure is fun and different. I've used more glue today than I've used in the last 2 years. But I'm also flying a lot lower and slower than I normally do. There's no such thing as three mistakes high in a gym this small.

I had no intention of buying one of these until I saw it at the Hobby Shop. I'm glad I got it for some indoor winter flying.

The Maiden

E-Flite UMX Hyper Taxi with AS3X. Maiden Flight with DX8 Transmitter (6 min 36 sec)

Flight #2

E-Flite UMX Hyper Taxi with AS3X. Flight #2 at the Gym with Spektrum DX8 Transmitter (5 min 5 sec)
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:56 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Love your spinning take off... Smooth and interesting way to do it!

Nice video. Must be so great to have access to a gym like that at work! Wow.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Love your spinning take off... Smooth and interesting way to do it!

Nice video. Must be so great to have access to a gym like that at work! Wow.
Thanks. It a great place to fly and I have it almost all to myself. The only time it's used is Mon, Wed, and Friday at noon by a group of guys I play basketball with. Other than that it's all mine when I have time to fly!

Since these videos I've found that the spinning only occurs if I increase throttle too slowly. I get a little torque roll. If I hit it a little harder there is enough airflow over the control surfaces for the AS3x to provide a nice straight up liftoff.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
It actually looks really graceful when its not crashing.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:58 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
It actually looks really graceful when its not crashing.
Yeah. I could have edited the crashes out but that would be lying. I thought it would be better to show them so someone else could have a chance to learn from my mistakes!

Normally I'm not flying that low so I'd have time to recover when I hit the stall point but in order to keep it in front of the camera I had to stretch myself.

Obviously I stretched too far several times! If the fins touch the floor it noses over too quickly for my skills to be able to recover it. I've learned to keep the fins off the floor! And I can now land it consistently.

It's a fun aircraft for indoor flying. Shortly after I got it I was sorry I hadn't bought the Gee Bee instead but now that I have some time on it I'm real happy. The weather isn't good enough here to be flying the Gee Bee outside and the gym is way too small to have any fun with the Gee Bee inside. I'll have a good time with the HT for the next couple of months and then it will be nice enough to make a Gee Bee purchase worthwhile.
Last edited by NwRcFlight; Feb 23, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:56 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Since these videos I've found that the spinning only occurs if I increase throttle too slowly. I get a little torque roll. If I hit it a little harder there is enough airflow over the control surfaces for the AS3x to provide a nice straight up liftoff.
I like this slowly start it up, have it torque roll on the ground, counter the torque roll and then take-off.
Will probably give a newbie a sense of how much aileron it takes to counter the torque roll and time to notice things out of trim on a take-off. Reminds me of the "Radd school" of beginning helicopter hovers.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Well, I made my first flight on the Hyper Taxi today. As luck would have it, I finished my Crazy Ball and was able to make the first flight on it as well, so I got to compare the two within a few minutes of each other.

First up was the Hyper Taxi. We had a 5 mph breeze blowing. I inserted the battery all the way aft (crosswise) to get the cg aft. i just did the underhand toss at 1/2 throttle and found the Hyper Taxi fairly easy to fly. Its a bit wierd cause it needs the rudder to steer, so you fly it mostly with the left hand. It would be coming toward me with the airframe cocked 45 degrees from level and I would have to spend some time thinking about how to make it level and then steer it the direction I wanted to go. At this stange, it is not intuitive to fly - kind'a like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. I lost it once when it flew into the sun. When it came out, I didn't know which way was up and it dived into the ground. No damage though. It went into a near hover a few times which made me feel it wouldn't be too hard to hover it and eventually land.

Next was the Crazy Ball which flew in a very similar manner to the Hyper Taxi. Again, you needed to steer with the rudder although the battery and esc weight tended to keep the airplane upright. I tried a roll at medium level to see if it could get itself back to level without my help. It could, but it used most of my altitude and I almost hit the ground when recovering. The Crazy Ball was way over powered with a Blue Wonder motor, 3s1P 1000 mah battery and a 10x4.7 prop. I only needed about 25% power to fly around very nicely. I thought the Crazy Ball was more affected by the wind, but it was a bigger, more powerful airframe and was flying a lot higher and further away from me. Both airplanes glide like a rock, so you need to keep some power on when landing.

Bottom line is: I'm happier with the Hyper Taxi than I thought I would be and I'm really pleased with the Crazy Ball as well.

Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:54 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
A couple more Hyper Taxi videos

Here are a couple more Hyper Taxi videos. I was still pathetic at landing at this point but I'm having fun with this thing.

In this one I try to provide some helpful hints to newer Hyper Taxi pilots. I'm no 3D pilot and I'm sure others like me will buy this to have fun with some conventional indoor flight. The interesting thing about this one is the end. My battery comes loose from the fuselage and the prop hits the wires and pulls the battery completely off the Hyper Taxi. Add a little extra velcro to your batteries!

E-Flite UMX Hyper Taxi with AS3X. Flying Hints (hopefully helpful!) (4 min 22 sec)

This one is just more practicing at the gym. I attempted more landings and was still pathetic at this point of my Hyper Taxi learning curve!

E-Flite UMX Hyper Taxi with AS3X. Indoor flying at the gym (4 min 30 sec)
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:25 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Two very nice video again. I think if they had a basic package for the Taxi (I already have 4 of those small chargers and I give my batteries away, so I wish I could save that), you would have sold one more Taxi for me with these videos. Sadly, budget is thight, and with so many nice airplanes coming up, I have to pass.

The battery coming loose is something that happen often on most UMs. But you just showed that it's very scary on the Taxi though. I think I would work on some safety feature. Maybe something that would hold the wires so they are shorter and cannot reach the propeller? Or maybe a small foam box for the battery?

I truly love your video and seeing how slow and well the Taxi can fly. If I had only one tip for you (without even owning one, that's sad), I would suggest that you start learning hovering right away with the Taxi. Take-off and don't try to land. Go simply high enough, and try to hover and hover, giving you confidence in your hovering capacity. That way, when will come the time to land, if you have to do some small corrections, your new hovering "expertise" will kick in.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:18 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Two very nice video again. I think if they had a basic package for the Taxi (I already have 4 of those small chargers and I give my batteries away, so I wish I could save that), you would have sold one more Taxi for me with these videos. Sadly, budget is thight, and with so many nice airplanes coming up, I have to pass.

The battery coming loose is something that happen often on most UMs. But you just showed that it's very scary on the Taxi though. I think I would work on some safety feature. Maybe something that would hold the wires so they are shorter and cannot reach the propeller? Or maybe a small foam box for the battery?

I truly love your video and seeing how slow and well the Taxi can fly. If I had only one tip for you (without even owning one, that's sad), I would suggest that you start learning hovering right away with the Taxi. Take-off and don't try to land. Go simply high enough, and try to hover and hover, giving you confidence in your hovering capacity. That way, when will come the time to land, if you have to do some small corrections, your new hovering "expertise" will kick in.
Thanks for the input. It is more fun than I thought it would be at first. I definitely will practice hovering at more altitude. I wanted to get the videos out and with no one available to run the camera I had to fly low and be a little more risky. I guess that's not a real bad thing because it shows that even though the HT is rather flimsy it will hold up to some abuse. I'll be uploading two more videos later today.

As for the battery, they put it in front of the prop for balance. That means a long wire running around the outside of the prop path and taped to the fuselage. If the battery comes loose from the Velcro the wire enters the prop path. I've seen posts from others that have experienced the same thing. If the battery was on the other side of the prop some sort of weight would have to be added to the nose for balance. A lot of weight relatively speaking because you would then have to balance the added battery weight. The extra weight would result in more severe crash damage. I think overall it's OK the way it is as long as you add an extra dot of Velcro to your batteries so they are a bit more secure. Part of the issue was me too. I had hit the ground a couple of times earlier in the video and I had not checked to see if the battery was still properly attached. I now know to check and resecure the battery prior to any "liftoff".

I agree there are way too many "must have" new releases on the way. My list is long. Blade 300 X, Carbon Cub with floats and sail plane, Mig, Gee Bee, Beast 3D, etc, etc. At least they are all small. Filling up my basement will take longer now!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:07 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
... I think overall it's OK the way it is as long as you add an extra dot of Velcro to your batteries so they are a bit more secure. ...
One "unelegant" way for extra battery holding power (been done on Vapors): add tape and peel off as needed. As the tape wears out, use a new piece of tape.

Thanks for all the videos! Good to know that cross-aileron turns work (I cannot hover, but I can do cross-aileron turns).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:42 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Two more videos

Here are a couple more videos from earlier in the week. I'm having more fun with the Hyper Taxi than I thought I would. For the small gym at work it's a perfect fit for some indoor winter flying.

Indoor flying at the gym. Nothing real crazy. Just fun.

E-Flite UMX Hyper Taxi with AS3X. Indoor flying at the gym. (4 min 20 sec)

Show flight and some short hovering attempts

E-Flite UMX Hyper Taxi with AS3X. Indoor hover and slow flight. (5 min 29 sec)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
296 Posts
I love my taxi. Its a lot of fun. Has anyone thought about programming your radio to have a heli mode? That is where the controls fly it in hover mode like a helicopter. It seem easy to switch aileron with rudder
Rooster433 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster433