HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVJG73 View Post
Hi Guys.
I will use the FW stock shroud and screws with the new cs12 replacement rotor and the 1500kv setup for 6S, the same as V8 it have used.
It is necessary to glue the rotor blades?

Thanks.
The stock FW shroud doesn't surround the blade tips completely as the fan sits more forward than the FW fan. Efficiency will be compromised but it will "work".
Gluing isn't necessary, in fact I have tried both CA and PU with no improvement in failure rate (of the weaker fans). They still fail. If you have the newer stronger type, it should work without any glue but it will need dynamic balancing.
Cheers

PS Why don't you simply cut the Changesun shroud to the length you want? I have done this for all my CS shrouds and is quite easy. using a hacksaw and sandpaper
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
just got my cs 12 from hobbyking today. blades feel stiff, but the weight appears to be lighter than the 51 g posted earlier. Blades and rings at 45 g / 55g with shaft????
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:00 PM
Germany, SH, Neumünster
Joined Dec 2011
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
The stock FW shroud doesn't surround the blade tips completely as the fan sits more forward than the FW fan. Efficiency will be compromised but it will "work".
Gluing isn't necessary, in fact I have tried both CA and PU with no improvement in failure rate (of the weaker fans). They still fail. If you have the newer stronger type, it should work without any glue but it will need dynamic balancing.
Cheers

PS Why don't you simply cut the Changesun shroud to the length you want? I have done this for all my CS shrouds and is quite easy. using a hacksaw and sandpaper
Thanks.
Your explanation is a very large help for me. I get my cs 12 from hobbyking tomorrow. I will cut the CS shroud when I can see that the CS shroud will fit in my Euro without to edit the foam.

Regards
ViperVJG73 is offline Find More Posts by ViperVJG73
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
just got my cs 12 from hobbyking today. blades feel stiff, but the weight appears to be lighter than the 51 g posted earlier. Blades and rings at 45 g / 55g with shaft????
Looks like you got the old style...
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
Is old guaranteed bad?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
Did you buy the fan unit, or the replacement impeller, "Replacement Blades & Carrier for 12 Blade High-Performance 90mm EDF Ducted Fan Unit"?
I am not 100% sure, but I think it have been the replacement impeller that has been the new stiffer one...
I think we all must be more clere to what we have bought.
I have 2 of the new "Replacement Blades & Carrier for 12 Blade High-Performance 90mm EDF Ducted Fan Unit" and both of them weights 51 grams.
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Is old guaranteed bad?
I wouldnt say guaranteed bad. There are people (v8...lol and many others) that have had success with them.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
Fan unit. Comes as a set sir... not replacement blades.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusEl View Post
Did you buy the fan unit, or the replacement impeller, "Replacement Blades & Carrier for 12 Blade High-Performance 90mm EDF Ducted Fan Unit"?
I am not 100% sure, but I think it have been the replacement impeller that has been the new stiffer one...
I think we all must be more clere to what we have bought.
I have 2 of the new "Replacement Blades & Carrier for 12 Blade High-Performance 90mm EDF Ducted Fan Unit" and both of them weights 51 grams.
So you bought just the replacement fan that comes with the washers... I bought the "whole unit" which is the fan and shroud and mine was the old 45g version. If the fan didn't take out the shroud when mine let go I'd buy what you bought.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Fan unit. Comes as a set sir... not replacement blades.
He is saying he got this.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Fan_Unit.html
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Is old guaranteed bad?
As I have stated numerous times, the very early 45g fans have held with reasonable power levels (around 2000-2500watts). the second batch available from HK this summer are not to be trusted IMHO. The most recent weak fan was purchased in October 2012! This batch has since sold out from the International warehouse.
Separate fans that were available this fall (from HK) have all been of the 51g variety.
Fans I have bought from X-flight recently are also 51g type and even the shrouds have a noticeable stiffer feel to them.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
As I have stated numerous times, the very early 45g fans have held with reasonable power levels (around 2000-2500watts). the second batch available from HK this summer are not to be trusted IMHO. The most recent weak fan was purchased in October 2012! This batch has since sold out from the International warehouse.
Separate fans that were available this fall (from HK) have all been of the 51g variety.
Fans I have bought from X-flight recently are also 51g type and even the shrouds have a noticeable stiffer feel to them.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
So Stripes...if I order from x-flight I can expect to receive the new version?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,877 Posts
I specifically asked them before ordering mine due to the problems experienced before and was assured the fans were the stronger variety (as they indeed are when I weighed them on arrival).
Can't speak for them other than my recent experience.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
My rotors arrived today, they are notably sKronger than the first versions IMHO..

So are the CS 10 blade rotors I received
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,877 Posts
Here's a link to my latest CS9012 powered Venom (X-flight 1600kv combo). I spent two days dynamic balancing this particular unit...
Enjoy

90mm EDF Venom Jet with Changesun 12 blade fan and 1600kv outrunner (5 min 45 sec)
RCG Plus Member