HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:21 AM
Don't grow up, it's a TRAP !!!
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,428 Posts
Quote:
For years we have been paying way above you guys for our sailplanes.
I was gunna say something like, "So how does it feel?" But decided not to.
10 years ago US$1 bought AUD$1.52 so we Aussies basically doubled the US$ price of a model by the time freight was included. Global economics aside, $2.5K for a model of this caliber is still "cheap" compared to reproducing one yourself. If you dont agree, then you can have two Vultures for the price of a Maxa ... great value
D
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:43 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,080 Posts
[QUOTE=3D_sailor;18683441]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
That's not Aussie dollars, mate.
You haven't checked the exchange rates lately!
$1US buys $0.93AUD
For years we have been paying way above you guys for our sailplanes. I can recall Carl Strautins paying almost $12kAUD to get 3 ICONs landed in prep for the 2005 world championships!
Well me gently with a chainsaw! In my own defense I must tell you that I do live under a rock.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:31 PM
There's Something in the Air
United States, NH, Hillsborough
Joined Jul 2005
265 Posts
2 questions:

1) So how much more do you have to pay to get one without the silly "MAXA" on the right wingtip?

2) Where is the signup sheet to get on the list for one of these?

John
Ne-Aero is offline Find More Posts by Ne-Aero
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:31 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-Aero View Post
2 questions:

1) So how much more do you have to pay to get one without the silly "MAXA" on the right wingtip?

2) Where is the signup sheet to get on the list for one of these?

John
Well, John, either you're just trying to push me over the edge (which knowing you is definitely a possibility) or you're really gonna line up for one of these, which will also push me over the edge.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:46 PM
Mr. Head
Redding, CA
Joined Feb 2006
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkiller View Post
I wouldn't be suprised if the price doesn't go up more.
Today the price is listed as $2600. It's sort of like like watching an eBay auction.
c55834 is offline Find More Posts by c55834
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:28 PM
There's Something in the Air
United States, NH, Hillsborough
Joined Jul 2005
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c55834 View Post
Today the price is listed as $2600. It's sort of like like watching an eBay auction.
Dang! I had my email to reserve one of these all written but didn't send it in just yet (got interrupted by life). At $2500 it was a stretch, but I could convince myself it was worth it. At $2600, I'm on the sidelines.

John
Ne-Aero is offline Find More Posts by Ne-Aero
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
9 Posts
Wow 2600 are we trying to kill F3J how do expect to grow the sport with $2600 planes and you need a couple of them then and $2000 dollar winch what happened to keeping J from getting expensive like B. How are we going to encourage junior pilots to fly when there dads can't afford the planes themselves. I guess I know why RES is getting bigger.
steven2083 is offline Find More Posts by steven2083
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:18 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Wow
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:17 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,091 Posts
Who says you have to fly a Maxa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2083 View Post
Wow 2600 are we trying to kill F3J how do expect to grow the sport with $2600 planes and you need a couple of them then and $2000 dollar winch what happened to keeping J from getting expensive like B. How are we going to encourage junior pilots to fly when there dads can't afford the planes themselves. I guess I know why RES is getting bigger.
The market will decide. There are plenty of alternatives, case in point the new Supra on my bench
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Sep 2006
105 Posts
I think it it's well worth $2,600.00. It hasn't lost a contest yet! When it has to compete against less expensive planes ( I think that is every plane out there), the Maxa will seek it's true value.
This plane is not priced to promote the sport, it is priced to make as much as possible from the people who do promote the sport.
Only the top flyers will probably buy this plane for this price anyway, so I'm sure it will do fine.
gary1201 is offline Find More Posts by gary1201
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:33 AM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
One can't go wrong, especialy when you crash some of these giga dollar plastic babies you learn more about life than a year in a monastery. No pain no gain isn't it

Imagine that playfull big fat dog playing and fouling around with a wiggling tail & stepping on that just unpacked Maxa wing that lies the grass.
Poll your own spiritual level:
1) Smile and blood pressure doesn't change, call the dog, give it a kiss & hug and say: "You realy didn't know what ya doing did ya, I love you dogy doggy doodiedoo."
2) The riotgun speeks the tale of eternal dogfields.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:09 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Relatively speaking Maxa is not that expensive, actually less 2x what the others cost.

Currently I fly Aspires. A nice plane. Also Xplorer, Perfect, Satori, Supra etc. are nice planes. If there were a new plane that would give me clearly better contest performance than Aspire, say 5 positions up in the list in 100 pilot contest, I would pay 5ke for it without blinking my eye.

Fortunately F3J is about flying skills. One cannot buy the wey into podium in F3J

The real question is: is Maxa worth to mess with? Lighter than 1.9-2kg superfloaters are nice idea but in contest environment they are not needed that often. Maxa might have superior performance is some niche conditions, but in more general terms working with the current airframes is a more rational choise. Or just travel to big competitions to learn something! One can fly a long way zig zag across the Europe with 2000e
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:57 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Can anyone provide info on the airfoil thickness and camber at root? Please?
Thanks.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:44 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Is anyone flying this monster at the nats?
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:58 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2083 View Post
Actually, given today's materials costs and the labor involved in building these models, $2k plus isn't that much. If you have ever gone thru the effort to make molds and build molded parts, you would have a different perspective on the cost. I don't like shelling out that much money either, but I know that what I get is a work of art from a real artisan.

There is no real difference in cost between F3B and F3J, just a percieved difference. That is because you have to pay towers and pay their expenses at a big contest. In F3B you have actual equipment (winches and line) to buy. Models cost the same and you need 3 for both if you want to be competitve at the world level.

When I was a junior 20 years ago, I couldn't afford a molded plane either. But I flew the best I could with what was available to me and my family. I learned a lot of fabrication skills because of that. I also didn't have the expectation of going to a WC until I was an adult, with a job and could really afford the right equipment.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes