HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
All due respect - I know how and where to connect servos ... been doing it for nigh on 40 yrs. What my question was - where / how to connect the gyro, as on 450 heli - it goes between tail servo (rudder) and Rx., with sense lead to aux ch. But here we have two servos to control elevons ... so how to connect gyro ?

I agree that ideally use without ... I didn't use Expo until this baby - I just learnt to be careful with stick movements. But this baby as I see it needes all the help it can get, like my 450 heli. I propose to use the gyro to launch then switch it of in flight ... which in mind is no worse than you guys using expo !!

which I now use !

My PKJ is grossly overpowered ....... I mean GROSSLY ... and the launch problem is huge. I'm fed up with it and want a 10 out of 10 solution ... I've tried all the tricks mentioned and still having trouble ... and I regard myself as an experienced RC'r.
Sorry bud i misunderstood your question.never meant to question your ability.i use 25% EXPO on mine
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
Before and after the canopy went through the prop.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:55 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
My PKJ is grossly overpowered ....... I mean GROSSLY ... and the launch problem is huge. I'm fed up with it and want a 10 out of 10 solution ... I've tried all the tricks mentioned and still having trouble ... and I regard myself as an experienced RC'r.

Did you try to align the motor with the wing ?

I don't see any other reason why I seem to be the only one who doesn't have any launching problems. I would even dare to say that this is probably my easiest plane for handlaunching .

I am pretty curious to know if anyone who has lowered the motor to the very wing level would still be experiencing launching problems ?
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:25 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post

I don't see any other reason why I seem to be the only one who doesn't have any launching problems. I would even dare to say that this is probably my easiest plane for handlaunching .

I am pretty curious to know if anyone who has lowered the motor to the very wing level would still be experiencing launching problems ?
Well I used the std stickmount and I dont have launch problems.sure i have the torque effect,but not once have I hit the deck on launch,
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:54 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:

The line of thrust I cannot see solves the torque problem ... with my 3700kv motor and 5x5 prop - the torque is huge along with over 500W. When bench testing you can see the prop flex even though it's a stiff correct APC type for the job, you can also see the body flex and I've stiffened it. If you hold the model and open the throttle you can feel the torque.

I have a lighter 3800kv motor on its way and will be reducing down in props as well ... I have a record speed of 222kph with the machine and I'm happy with that until someone beats it. Till that time - I will want to just fly the machine even if it means going down in power / torque to get her going.

The side discus throw is about best bet at moment ....
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:11 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts

I agree that this could be the key . Mine is following the stock one and motor is slightly pointing on the side .

I thought that you still had some pitch problems on top of the torque .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:52 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:

I agree that this could be the key . Mine is following the stock one and motor is slightly pointing on the side .

I thought that you still had some pitch problems on top of the torque .
Nope - its a pure death roll that's faster than a witches *** ... and very hard to catch with the sticks.

Some of the launches ... she seems to be fine for a second and then BHAM over she goes and in ... it's as if the launcher has given it enough to fly, but once speed drops and prop takes over - BHAM !
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:58 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Nope - its a pure death roll that's faster than a witches ***
The statement says it all......anger and pure frustration. LMAO...
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:02 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
Quote:
Nope - its a pure death roll that's faster than a witches *** ... and very hard to catch with the sticks.

Some of the launches ... she seems to be fine for a second and then BHAM over she goes
I have had that happen once or twice myself. In my case, I'm sure it was caused by using too much throttle too soon. I found that the trick is to give it just enough throttle to feel the plane start to want to pull out of my hand, and to launch the plane at a fairly steep up angle. It will gain a few feet of altitude before it begins to nose over towards level flight.

It's also not until about that point that I can actually get my thumb on the right stick. (I launch right handed.) At this point I begin to slowly advance the throttle, while watching out for the left wing to drop. If the plane starts to roll over I have enough altitude to get it level, and by then the plane starts moving fast enough to briskly climb out under full control.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:

Some of the launches ... she seems to be fine for a second and then BHAM over she goes and in ... it's as if the launcher has given it enough to fly, but once speed drops and prop takes over - BHAM !
Maybe program some clicks of right-roll into a toggle switch you can turn off once up and running?
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:54 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
maybe yall could try to use a dolly with wheels to take off with. modify a small car with wheels to set your parkjet on, throttle up, let it start rolling, when you have enough speed, just pull back on the stick and leave the dolly on the ground.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice View Post
I have had that happen once or twice myself. In my case, I'm sure it was caused by using too much throttle too soon. I found that the trick is to give it just enough throttle to feel the plane start to want to pull out of my hand, and to launch the plane at a fairly steep up angle. It will gain a few feet of altitude before it begins to nose over towards level flight.

It's also not until about that point that I can actually get my thumb on the right stick. (I launch right handed.) At this point I begin to slowly advance the throttle, while watching out for the left wing to drop. If the plane starts to roll over I have enough altitude to get it level, and by then the plane starts moving fast enough to briskly climb out under full control.
I don't launch this beast ... all other planes of mine yes ... even the EDF. But this one is a helper launched job and even then she's over and in so bl*** fast it's incredible.
Last launch - she went about 20ft total. ET speed sensor already had 74kph on it.

I wish I had soft ground but as it's only just coming out of winmter, all ground and short grass is still hard frozen. I can't do test glides to find best balance of glide / throttle. Each launch because of the hard ground causes damage.

This baby is really making me feel like a newcomer to RC ! And I've been at it for 40 yrs ...scale, aerobatics, display work etc.

The gyro via V-tail mixer is an attempt to tame this hairy machine. Mixer on order now.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:42 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,645 Posts
Well after flying my low powered parkjet on last weekend I have now put in a 3500kv 45gram motor and a 4.1x4.1 prop and static tests results around 25 amps.

Looking to give it a shot tomorrow.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:13 AM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
Solentlife, have you tried the sidearm launch? You could have your assistant do it for you. I'm finding that the real secret is to launch with minimal throttle, but you still have to anticipate a sudden roll. The gyro might be the ticket for preventing the roll. Let us know how it works out.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
It's one I will try ... but the wing even with CF in bends because of the heavy motor I have ...

But all worth a try.