HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raycamaro View Post
The wife bought the tree on QVC last week.
lol, ah that explains it!
mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raycamaro View Post
You guys need to check out the WLtoys V319. It is similar to our S107s (I have 2) but shoots water while flying. I put a video on Youtube today. The grand kids loved it, the dogs, not so much. It did cost about as much as my two S107s combined though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QIQ4fnAUQQ
And here I thought mounting a laser on a v911 was the ultimate feline harassment machine!

Water, who'da thunk it. An evil mind must've come up with THAT idea.
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman39 View Post
This is a pic of my custom built carbon fiber S107G. Hand made by Mark Hardy. This thing is super fast maybe 2-3 times faster than a stock model. check out his website www.carbonfibers107.com
WOW, good job on the build. The canopy is very cool.
SAF_Dogface is offline Find More Posts by SAF_Dogface
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:43 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,180 Posts
Busy day today. A friend of mine brought me 3x S107G to repair. None of them was in flying condition. Each has its own set of problems. After a thorough examinations, I contacted my friend and gave him options. I could get parts and fix all of them. Or, he could sacrifice one for the other two. He opted for the latter. So, one was sacrificed, the other two got the much needed parts and restored to like new condition. Not a bad outcome at all.

The sacrificed bird won't fly. But it has all the appearance of a working helicopter and it would make a great Christmas tree ornament with flashing lights!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Busy day today. A friend of mine brought me 3x S107G to repair. None of them was in flying condition. Each has its own set of problems. After a thorough examinations, I contacted my friend and gave him options. I could get parts and fix all of them. Or, he could sacrifice one for the other two. He opted for the latter. So, one was sacrificed, the other two got the much needed parts and restored to like new condition. Not a bad outcome at all.

The sacrificed bird won't fly. But it has all the appearance of a working helicopter and it would make a great Christmas tree ornament with flashing lights!
Dude good idea. I could fill the tree with all the ones I have.LOL
SAF_Dogface is offline Find More Posts by SAF_Dogface
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Apr 2005
375 Posts
HP, glad to hear that you have come to the rescue and fixed the S107s for your friend. What were the problems with the two helis that you repaired? It was fortunate that the problems differed and that the one donor heli provided the necessary parts so your friend did not have to purchase any additional parts at this time.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,180 Posts
Well, my friend has several kids and 3 S107G, Red, Blue, and Yellow. Blue has the least number of problems, but it has the biggest problem. The battery gives 30 seconds of flight. Otherwise, everything works. Yellow has a bent flybar, broken pivot pins, split rotor and some minor stuff. Red has a stripped gear, missing boom strut, and missing link. Red and Yellow simply couldn't fly. But I decided to sacrifice Blue, because I don't want to replace its battery. It's much easier to pull a gear and a rotor head. The other stuff were easy.

I supplied a new set of Yellow blades and got everything taken care of in very short time. Red and Yellow both flew perfectly like new, and they each gave 6.5 minutes of flight. I was really pleased by the outcome.

Blue couldn't fly with a broken gear and a bad cell. I CA'd the pivot pins back. They would be fine for me, but it won't survive a bad crash in his kids' hands. My friend didn't want to get additional parts. Otherwise, it would be well enough to fly. But like I said before, Blue has every appearance of a working S107 and it makes a great ornament with its flashing light. The Lipo wouldn't sustain flight, but it could run the lights forever!

More importantly, Blue still has a good board, all 3 motors, rotors and misc parts. So, it is still a very viable parts donor. Spending money to get battery, rotor head/main shaft, a set of gear doesn't make a lot of sense at current prices. If he needs a 3rd helicopter bad enough, I could recommend buying a new unit.

I posted all these repair details in hope that it will help others determine what to fix and what not to fix. Once you work on a few S107G, you would be able to quickly determine how to repair one. HTH.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:47 AM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Hi i have the yellow version and i have removed the canopy and tail boom brace made it super light and getting 10mins flight now. Going to FPV it via the LED,just found that its a steady 3.3v-3.5v supply for LED so that will power the Vtx no problems. Anyone else done or doing same thing?
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:15 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.laws View Post
Hi i have the yellow version and i have removed the canopy and tail boom brace made it super light and getting 10mins flight now. Going to FPV it via the LED,just found that its a steady 3.3v-3.5v supply for LED so that will power the Vtx no problems. Anyone else done or doing same thing?
That might give the S107 a slight weigh problem. But heck, go for it. I've heard crazier things being tried

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:49 PM
Night flier
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
That might give the S107 a slight weigh problem. But heck, go for it. I've heard crazier things being tried

Mike.
Well not that crazy getting a 1gram camera and a 1.8g Vtx and will prob buy carbon fibre frame so save another 5g. So will be mega light. Be fun lol.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,180 Posts
Austin, Sounds very interesting. Would the Vtx be transmitting in 2.4GHz? Keep us posted on your progress.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:54 AM
Night flier
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Austin, Sounds very interesting. Would the Vtx be transmitting in 2.4GHz? Keep us posted on your progress.
Morning no i was goin to go for a 10mW 1.3ghz Vtx which weighs in at 1.8g coz i have already got lawmate 1.3ghz on my condor FPV. Its locked to 1280ghz on the Vtx and i have that channel on my lawmate equipment. Should be fun. camera only weighs 1 gram which is amazing and u still get 520 lines on the camera. Will update soon as parts arrive. Also i notice that the little LED that flashes the power to it is 3.5v so will run the tiny Vtx board no problems. So i can switch fpv on and off with the models switch.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,180 Posts
Good morning, Austin. I'm cheering for you and your project. I don't command the same understanding of FPV as you do. The only thing that I would caution you about that plan is that the power (voltage level) to the flashing LED light is not a constant 3.5v. When I put my meter on the terminals of the LED, I got oscillating voltages between ~3.2v and ~2.6v. I think it is how it toggles between the two colors of the LED. So, I'm not sure how you could use that oscillating voltage source to power your FPV camera. Otherwise, it would be a simple setup and that have a convenient on/off switch. What do you think?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:58 AM
Night flier
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Could be right there but i saw 3.3v to 3.5v didnt notice drop below that. If that is the case i will some how put it straight to the battery. FPV is pretty straight forward and easy to do. been doing it for years now. all started when i put a mobile fone on my aerobird xtreme and sent it to 2000" feet. Got massive hits on youtube. Sadly lost the video now. But i will check again 2nite when im home. Just hope im right lol. The switch would be the best place to get a power source from but the soldering ide have to do would be perfect and im far from that at it lol.
Will keep fiddling around and come up with a idea and the post a video once the stuff arrives from the states. Good job the parts are cheap and amazingly light. Shouldnt take more than a evening to get it sorted. I will keep you posted and cheers for the backing on my mad idea lol.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:06 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
Uh Oh...saw one for sale....had to have it!

REDSYMAS107G A (2 min 4 sec)

I'm addicted and I love it!
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131