HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624 View Post
... had an issue to where the fairing between the wings in front of the motor came off in flight. Landed in the water and was able to recover (Images attached). It appears that they painted the air red, and then glued the fairing down with little glue. Highly recommend removing and re-gluing.
Same thing happened to me Sparkie. I ended up flying it without the fairing but eventually replaced my old beat up learner fuselage with a new one and I'm going to break it loose and glue too. Mine came up off takeoff and I thought the plane was disintegrating as it blew through the prop and made a terrible noise!

I also recommend gluing the joints on the tail where the foam is joined. Finally, putting some adhesive silicon in the joints in the fuse and wheel well is not a bad idea either as I've had some water seepage if you are flying off water. Have fun with it as its a great flying airplane.
Lprevost is offline Find More Posts by Lprevost
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 09:09 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprevost View Post
Same thing happened to me Sparkie. I ended up flying it without the fairing but eventually replaced my old beat up learner fuselage with a new one and I'm going to break it loose and glue too. Mine came up off takeoff and I thought the plane was disintegrating as it blew through the prop and made a terrible noise!

I also recommend gluing the joints on the tail where the foam is joined. Finally, putting some adhesive silicon in the joints in the fuse and wheel well is not a bad idea either as I've had some water seepage if you are flying off water. Have fun with it as its a great flying airplane.
I do not know how, but the fairing in front of the prop (if you notice the prop), it did not go through the prop... How did it miss... don't care.. It did not sink and our boat went out on the lake to retrieve it.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old May 08, 2012, 08:22 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
I'got one of these as well and its got 4 flights on it already. I'd make sure to run a bead of clear silpoxy (adheres to EPO really well) on all the joints. Use gap fill cyano to secure the headlight covers because this bird takes in water somewhere. after each flight I've had to drain it.
Great littleflyer though. I've not used the landing gear (because it flies off water) yet but I keep the gear in my tool box so when I head down to the flying club I can use the runway

No Horizon, how about some hermitcally servo units. The mechanics will need a gland of sorts but thats a design problem. Retracts will make this a true amphibian. I'd love to taxi her off the jetti not far from my house, into the water, taxi around, take off and do some lovely scale flying along the shore, land her and taxi back out again.

She joins my GP Seawind EP. The Icon A5 is better in quite a few key areas and the water take off and landing manners are better too.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old May 08, 2012, 08:28 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,569 Posts
Flipped mine last night. A little too breezy. Wind blowing right onshore. Wind got under a wing and rocked it up a few times as I held my breath and then over it went.
Rode nice and high in the water. NO water got into the main area but the cockpit filled with water. After about 5 minutes the wind blew it right back to shore. Perfect.
Much more enjoyable flying in zero wind on glassy water. A true pleasure. Inches off the water at high speed, the mirror reflection is amazing to see.

If you are on the fence, just get it. Great little seaplane!
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old May 08, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
+1

concur on the high speed runs.
The stock drivetrain is good for a lot. Its not so good for the sport aerobatics they talk about on the box. It struggles to for breathe through a loop.
Old May 09, 2012, 12:04 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Cracks in plastic.

I was applying Halloway House Floor Finish to the plane which I use on all my foamies to seal & protect them and noticed cracks in the plastic wing inserts on the top of the leading edge of the fuselage sides where the wings slide into them. Anyone else seen this?
I couldn't move them but they run across the plastic? One on each side.
I also haven't noticed any trouble with the Gray fairing on the fuse in front of the motor. Mine won't budge so I don't think it will come off during flight.

One last question, is everyone mounting the nose gear angled forward or to the rear of the plane?
I would think facing forward would assist it from bending backwards during take off & landings?

I'll probably fly it off the field first then hit the bay this weekend for water takeoffs!

~ Jay R.

Here the cracked areas:

ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Last edited by ovrclkd; May 09, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
Its mould lines. I also thought they were cracks but they're not.
But this birdy takes on water neh? I got to find this leak before a fry a GEN ace Lipo.

Also has anyone noticed how it wags its tail on landing approach? Really weird. I googled the full size and it also does the same thing!
Old May 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
But this birdy takes on water neh? I got to find this leak before a fry a GEN ace Lipo.

Also has anyone noticed how it wags its tail on landing approach? Really weird. I googled the full size and it also does the same thing!
That's one of the biggest issues with this bird and was covered extensively earlier in this thread. There's no true solution but the best way to mask the problem is with a gyro on the tail. Here's how I put a gyro on the tail and another on the ailerons:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=513
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old May 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
!
Thanks TimBle, was getting ready to call HH but that makes sense being I cannot move them. How about the nose gear? Is yours angled front or to the rear?
The write up and pix in the last issue of MA which showcased the Icon A5 has it angle rearward but I usually bend my nose gear springs so the wheel faces the front to assist flying off grass fields that are less than putting greens.
Old May 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
I have not used the landing gear yet...
But when I checked the fit the wheel was behind the pivot point so angle rearward.

She flies exclusively off water till I get down to my club again the end of May. nine flights on her now and counting up. She's a bit tricky to land on water too, you have to get the timing of the hull planing and throttle down just right to prevent al that surface area skipping but into the sky
12min of just touch and goes is really taxing !!

Glad the wagging the arse is a built in issue and not just mine
Last edited by TimBle; May 09, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 01:19 PM
TUK151
United States, LA, Ruston
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Hello all.. I just recently ordered one of these Icon A5's this week. Should be in by next week at my LHS. This will be my first sea-water plane, in my fleet of 10-15 electrics'.
I have a couple of questions to ask you guys about the aircraft for now.
1. Any (MUST) mods needed before maiden?
2. How much wind for flight is too much?
3. 2200 parkzone lipo average flight times?
4. Maiden on land ofr water first?
I plan to outfit this bird with my Spektrum telemetry system to keep an eye on temp and battery voltage. I'm wondering if touch-and-go's and landings then re-ups are a big part of the flights you guys are having.. Thanks for the info fella's.. Tuk151
Tuk151 is offline Find More Posts by Tuk151
Old May 09, 2012, 01:19 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
I have not used the landing yet...
But when I checked the fit the wheel was behind the pivot point so angle rearward.

She flies exclusively off water till I get down to my club again the end of May. nine flights on her now and counting up. She's a bit tricky to land on water too, you have to get the timing of the hull planing and throttle down just right to prevent al that surface area skipping but into the sky
12min of just touch and goes is really taxing !!

Glad the wagging the arse is a built in issue and not just mine
10-4 ... maybe I'll spin it around and see how she does. I will probably go to larger wheels as well. It really helped my PZ T-28, Airfield 1400mm T-28 & PZ F4U Corsair on the grass. Helps with rolling across any divots or weeds on the field when you first try to get them moving.
Old May 09, 2012, 01:35 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk151 View Post
Hello all.. I just recently ordered one of these Icon A5's this week. Should be in by next week at my LHS. This will be my first sea-water plane, in my fleet of 10-15 electrics'.
I have a couple of questions to ask you guys about the aircraft for now.
1. Any (MUST) mods needed before maiden?
If you plan to operate off water or pavement with wheels NO
2. How much wind for flight is too much?
Depends on your skill level... I'd say under 12mph is best.
3. 2200 parkzone lipo average flight times?
Depends on how you fly... 8 to 10 minutes with mixed flying
4. Maiden on land ofr water first?
I Maidened mine off grass with the wheels removed. It would not take off with 3s. Installed a 4s and all was good. But went back to the 3s for water flight due to no solid specs on the motor's voltage max.

I plan to outfit this bird with my Spektrum telemetry system to keep an eye on temp and battery voltage. I'm wondering if touch-and-go's and landings then re-ups are a big part of the flights you guys are having.. Thanks for the info fella's.. Tuk151
Touch and go's are always part flying RC. Ad the water aspect and T&G's are even more fun!!
Smart using telemetry... you should have all the info you need to really enjoy the ICON.

Hope this all helps...
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old May 09, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
I maidened mine off water. no hassles. You just need to hold a little right aileron to keep the left wing tip up on initial acceleration. Motor torque wants to bury the left wing tip everytime. once its on the plane the hull supports it nicely and then take off is just a second or 2 away
Old May 09, 2012, 04:23 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,224 Posts
Quote:

For the water getting in check the top air intake in front of the motor.
If you get water splashes water gets in there and hits the wires and the water droplets ride down the motor wires down towards the ESC and the bottom of the plane.
I just use a small piece of black spungee foam and no more water
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC