HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2014, 04:29 AM
FPV Enthusiast
Australia, SA, Port Lincoln
Joined Aug 2012
62 Posts
Discussion
South Australian FPV thread

Hey guys, i have been reading the Aussie FPV thread and it is plain to see that there is just way too much info on there and not much of it relating to a certain area, well actually mostly the east coast. But anyway, i digress, the main reason i have set up this thread is because i want to know what is going on in the SA FPV scene. feel free to discuss meet-ups, equipment, and pretty much anything you like. Oh and just for the record i am from Port Lincoln and i would strongly urge any FPV pilots in the general area to get in contact with me as i would be more than willing to meet up for a fly.
mrranganator69 is offline Find More Posts by mrranganator69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2014, 05:44 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Hi Im in SA too (Adelaide area) I do alot of FPV around the area with my multirotors F450 and T810 lots down south Fleurieu Peninsula area, Adeliade Hills and around the Murray bridge area. Would be cool to see what others in the area are flying and doing.
OllieV is offline Find More Posts by OllieV
Old Jan 08, 2014, 03:11 AM
What place .... is this ???
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,082 Posts
G'day Gents, I'm in Plympton Park, and do a bit of flying around the Fleurieu Peninsula area as well. I'm a fixed wing pilot. There are a few around in the Adelaide area, hopefully they will chime in in time. Nice to see a local thread under way.
Heppy Ket is online now Find More Posts by Heppy Ket
Old Jan 08, 2014, 05:25 AM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Hi guys.
Still flying fpv over 4 years now.
Big ass sailplanes....Apprentice 25 land and off water.....X8....large flying wings and now quadcopters long range.
Most of my flying is done in the Riverland away from everything
.....Pete
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Tarot 650 Ironman
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:39 AM
FPV Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
62 Posts
Hey guys, I neglected to mention what i am flying. First of all, i am mainly a fixed wing pilot, but i have made myself a custom quad, but i really cant seem to get the hang of it yet, so ill probably stick to fixed wing. My first FPV aircraft was something i had laying around which was a hobbyking walrus, electric glider, but that had a disagreement with a stobe pole, then i decided to get a dedicated FPV platform, and that is a Zeta FX-61Phantom, and i think it is a great platform, some slight cons, as X-8 owners would know when you get into a dive the wings will go into an aerodynamic oscillation, or wing flutter, but it glides well, has good equipment space and is efficient, I maidened it today made it to 4.5 kms and my futabe 6j ran out of signal, i am currently trolling the internet trying to find a good but cheap lrs. any ideas guys?
Old Jan 08, 2014, 01:45 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,082 Posts
Well from my research good and cheap don't seem to appear in the same sentence with LRS. After much research I settled on EzUHF for a number of reasons, not the least is that it is plug and play, and it will also be plug and play with the other Immersion stuff such as the EzOSD which literally took 2 minutes to setup. My companions fly Dragon Link, I've not heard good things about Rmilec but they have a new one out which might change things.

That's not a bad range for the Futaba BTW, 36meg?

Aircraft, well I have a Skywalker V6, Zeta FX-79 Buffalo, Goldberg Gentle Lady, Multiplex Easystar 2. Looked at whirlybirds, but not for me.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 03:12 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2012
272 Posts
Hello Peeps.

Im in Adelaide and been flying FPv for long time now. Mainly quads and hexs.
Recently getting back into Planes and long range FUN! :-)
Only been back to using rc groups for a few weeks again....
Would be keen to meet a few locals for a fly sometime.

Heres a few Vids from last yrs Fun!

Plumbr KWAD Flight (2 min 41 sec)

qav500 (2 min 58 sec)

Heres my new ZED!

Plumbr
Plumbr is online now Find More Posts by Plumbr
Last edited by Plumbr; Jan 08, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 04:36 PM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrranganator69 View Post
Hey guys, I neglected to mention what i am flying. First of all, i am mainly a fixed wing pilot, but i have made myself a custom quad, but i really cant seem to get the hang of it yet, so ill probably stick to fixed wing. My first FPV aircraft was something i had laying around which was a hobbyking walrus, electric glider, but that had a disagreement with a stobe pole, then i decided to get a dedicated FPV platform, and that is a Zeta FX-61Phantom, and i think it is a great platform, some slight cons, as X-8 owners would know when you get into a dive the wings will go into an aerodynamic oscillation, or wing flutter, but it glides well, has good equipment space and is efficient, I maidened it today made it to 4.5 kms and my futabe 6j ran out of signal, i am currently trolling the internet trying to find a good but cheap lrs. any ideas guys?
My LRS system has been Dragon Link for years now without any problems at all....as long as you follow the rules of installation in the aircraft...keep everything separated and don't have power cables crossing rc or video signal cables etc..keep as much distance between vtx ...camera's....rc recievers....esc's etc .....Seperation is the key word here.
The X8 is a good platform ..glides very well.... mine has a cruise speed around 30mph at 6.7 amps and it will thermal quite well power off.
My last stall/ spin we counted 18 spin's loosing 400 feet...luck it was 402 feet up...?????. Flight time's around 50/60 minutes with some thermal assist.
Best fpv flight is 2 hours 17 minutes.
All my current fpv models fly with full rth function
These are a few of my fpv fleet.
....Pete
some of my video's.....
launching the QB (1 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jan 08, 2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 04:39 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,082 Posts
Mmm double Radian, an interesting idea, how does it perform?
Old Jan 08, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heppy Ket View Post
Mmm double Radian, an interesting idea, how does it perform?
Twin Radian......fly's very good....thermals like a dream...very good in calm weather....clear camera view , no props in the screen etc.
This one is now 3 years old and still fly's occasionally.
...Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Tarot 650 Ironman
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Howdy guys.
Great idea for the thread mrranganator69.
I'm in the Adelaide Hills. Fly mainly with Plumbr. Anywhere thats scenic and doesn't cause trouble. I use to fly 3D Heli's, got a little bored and club politics put me off. Got into FPV about 2 years ago? I have a QAV540 with gimbal converted to a 500, QAV400(best quad), KWAD and just now getting into planes with a Bixler 2. Also have a Phantom wing coming from HK to swap gear into once I get it all sorted in the Bixler 2. All on EZ UHF. In the midst of getting My Fly Dream OSD & Tracker set up on all. Considering this essential after my 2 recent incidence - 1/ Fly quad down into a quarry and and went out of range, luckily landed its self nicely (fail safe set to 1/4 throttle) 2/ Had a pack on my 400 go flat earlier than my timer, I think due to flying into wind, as soon as the voltage dropped below 12v I instantly lost video, again landed its self nicely, but on a beach with people around(not cool) (GoPro video was funny though of people wondering where this thing came from)

Bruce
burtba is offline Find More Posts by burtba
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:24 PM
FPV Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
62 Posts
i have not been able to find any info anywhere else, but do you guys know if the ezuhf would work with a futaba 6j, it only has the trainer port and there is no PPM PCM settings in the programming, i would just like to know before i make the investment, otherwise i might have to get a turnigy 9XR
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:40 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2012
272 Posts
Im not sure but check out a jr moduel radio. Ezy uhf about to release new moduel sytle uhf. Easy click in and yr done!
Plumbr is online now Find More Posts by Plumbr
Old Jan 08, 2014, 07:14 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,082 Posts
EzUHF is plug and play with Futaba, just plug into the trainer port and away you go You do need PPM for any UHF set so far as I am aware.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 07:17 PM
FPV Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heppy Ket View Post
EzUHF is plug and play with Futaba, just plug into the trainer port and away you go You do need PPM for any UHF set so far as I am aware.
Thanks man, you are a lifesaver, i might just order the 9XR aswell because my futaba has no module slot and that will allow me to use different modules like FrSky and OrangeRx. Moving on, has anyone got any good ideas on reliable and affordable Dvr's?