HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Taigen tanks.

Okay, so looking around, getting prices, I am seeing some inconsistencies. I have been looking at the Tiger1, KV-1, King Tiger, M41 and M26, even the PZ IV. My issue is this, none of what I look at, and no prices seem to be reflected. I am not looking for all metal ones, but would like a metal chassis, gearboxes, metal suspension/arms and metal tracks. I go to Taigen's site and see what I want, but can't seem to find them as shown or listed? I am actually more interested in A/S then IR. I looked at part numbers, but what I have found and seen, doesn't match up. Can someone shed light on this? Some appear to be nothing but HL with a paint job for 100-250. I seen one listed as a IMEX Taigen Taiger for $220 and it showed what the site showed. Any ideas how to tell what actually comes with these tanks. It is a bit of a pain. I want a tank, but not to waste, and many sites, have different claims, numbers, and prices. When I left tanking, there wasn't much out there, now there is many choices, and yet, so confusing! Thanks to anyone who can clear this up. I can't save for a tank if I can't find what I want and a correct price. The price of getting screwed over is still to high!
Wing Zero is offline Find More Posts by Wing Zero
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:43 PM
YHR
Joined Jan 2012
19 Posts
My suggestion then would be to get a base Heng Long smoke and sound tank for the best price possible. The extras you can add yourself and you will know exactly what you are getting as you get it.

This is what I do. I typically buy the basic from Mato, and then add the parts I want when I want them.

No fear of paying too much this way.

Cheers
YHR is offline Find More Posts by YHR
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
So when it comes to tracks and such, Idle wheels, gear sprockets, are Tamiya, Hen Long, Taigen, basically the same? I know they look the same, but I wonder if for such things like the tracks, would these work regardless of brand?

My issue is looking at a Hen Long, and doing all the upgrades, puts me almost to a full Metal Taigen tank... so... that doesn't help much really. The base Hen Longs, are very lacking from what I seen.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:16 AM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
994 Posts
A lot of the tracks and sprockets are brand exclusive. HL sprockets wont fit Tamyia without modifications. Depending on your skills and what is available, you can do just about what you want to do these days. Start with a basic tank and modify to what you want it to be.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:26 AM
YHR
Joined Jan 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post
So when it comes to tracks and such, Idle wheels, gear sprockets, are Tamiya, Hen Long, Taigen, basically the same? I know they look the same, but I wonder if for such things like the tracks, would these work regardless of brand?

My issue is looking at a Hen Long, and doing all the upgrades, puts me almost to a full Metal Taigen tank... so... that doesn't help much really. The base Hen Longs, are very lacking from what I seen.
Well that isn't surprising as that is exactly what a Taigen tank is.

The base Heng Longs are actually decent now, and don't really need the full metal upgrade so many people give them. It depends on you, the consumer, how much you want to do to the tank. A base Heng Long will give you the same basic tank as the more expensive Taigens or Walthersons that you see. All these third parties have done is take the basic Heng Long and added this and that.

You will find Taigen, Heng Long,and Walthersons all have interchangeable parts as they are all Basically Heng Long. Tamiya parts may or may not interchange, it depends on the model.
YHR is offline Find More Posts by YHR
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
I have nothing against Walthersons or Taigens as I believe they are for those who will spend a little more money up front for a tank that has more than the basic model and therefore they do not have to work on it right away.

Personally, I would just get the basic Heng Long tanks that you like and then later on upgrade those that you see fit. Not that ALL tanks need upgrading right away but some may need some 'better' equipment right away for improvements that will later support those metal tracks.

HTH

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Conversions...

Okay, so I have another question. regarding the differences between the LATE and Early Tiger, besides the road wheels, are there any other major changes? I can get a Taigen Tiger 1 Early version, not a fan of it, this the LATE is better. I know I can get road wheels, but does anyone know if they require different sprockets or treads? I would assume they are the same except for basic cosmetics.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
101 Posts
Tigers were changed month to month as feedback from the troops led to design changes. There are many differences in the tanks depending on the month and year of production.

Thomas Jentz and Hillary Doyle authored a wonderful book (Germany's Tiger Tanks, D.W. to Tiger I: Design, Production & Modifications (2000) (ISBN: 0-7643-1038-0)) that shows a matrix of the production runs, and the various items each run had. It is considered the authority for Tiger builds. One literally has to build a specific year and month of a Tiger to be remotely accurate.

I suggest you get the book, and do some research. It would be very interesting if you are into Tigers.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489