HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:25 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,903 Posts
Personally from what I've seen, no doubt Frank is an excellent pilot and perfectly capable of performing the maneuvers I mentioned. But what kills me is everyone shows hovering and rolling harriers and any fair 3D plane does these with ease, to me all the rolling harriers show is the pilots skill and not the airframes capability. Whereas snaps and pop tops and tumbles show how a plane handles demanding inputs and how it carries momentum to execute difficult maneuvers. Honestly, I was very seriously considering this plane but went with the EF 64" MXS because even though quite a bit more expensive it was shown in video's to have the qualities I love in an RC Plane. I'd love to see a foamy version that would fly anywhere at all like the MXS, man I'd be all over that. Especially a scale version like some of the newer Skywings, although if this thing could demonstrate these flight capabilities to me I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:17 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denispeters View Post
2x 3s 2200mAh is an excellent option, I fly all my 50"-60" airframes with this setup

by the way, your plane arrived today, Stephan!
and it is huge!! pls. check pics, size comparison with a 3dh 58" edge

Denis
Good to know they arrived to you, Denis.

Not surprised with it's size, compared to one of our 60in Extra330 prototype:
CNJ3 is offline Find More Posts by CNJ3
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:39 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Personally from what I've seen, no doubt Frank is an excellent pilot and perfectly capable of performing the maneuvers I mentioned. But what kills me is everyone shows hovering and rolling harriers and any fair 3D plane does these with ease, to me all the rolling harriers show is the pilots skill and not the airframes capability. Whereas snaps and pop tops and tumbles show how a plane handles demanding inputs and how it carries momentum to execute difficult maneuvers. Honestly, I was very seriously considering this plane but went with the EF 64" MXS because even though quite a bit more expensive it was shown in video's to have the qualities I love in an RC Plane. I'd love to see a foamy version that would fly anywhere at all like the MXS, man I'd be all over that. Especially a scale version like some of the newer Skywings, although if this thing could demonstrate these flight capabilities to me I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
Thanks for your opinions.
I also think that EPP and balsa both have their own advantages. But EPP is EPP, balsa isbalsa, I dont think it's fair to compare EPP to balsa directly. We like EPP planes cause they are light, easy to be controlled, and endurable etc.. It's obvious hard to let an EPP plane do those high energy meanuvor as good as a balsa kit, that's why we need both EPP planes and balsa planes, and we can fly them well by different ways and styles.
EPP planes were developed so fast just in the passed few years, we should be pleased with them, we were all benifited.
Last edited by CNJ3; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:22 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ3 View Post
Thanks for your opinions.
I also think that EPP and balsa both have their own advantages. But EPP is EPP, balsa isbalsa, I dont think it's fair to compare EPP to balsa directly. We like EPP planes cause they are light, easy to be controlled, and endurable etc.. It's obvious hard to let an EPP plane do those high energy meanuvor as good as a balsa kit, that's why we need both EPP planes and balsa planes, and we can fly them well by different ways and styles.
EPP planes were developed so fast just in the passed few years, we should be pleased with them, we were all benifited.
I absolutely agree, but they are getting very close to the balsa planes in performance. I know my scale looking 48" Edge from Skywing is only slightly less capable in some ways, but easier to fly in other ways. It snaps and tumbles quite well, it does need a little help with the throttle to complete a pop top but can do them. I would love to see this kind of performance in this 55" size, but for me until I see this demonstrated in a video I just simply will not buy the plane because to me it's just another fairly nice flying foamy. I think I'm like a lot of potential customers and if these characteristics were well demonstrated you could sell more planes. It's up to you whether you want to demonstrate this or not, it's only to your benefit to do this. I don't expect it to compete perfectly with something like the EF MXS but if I had seen the characteristics I'm referring to I probably would have gone with your Slick because I do like the fact that it's more economical to buy and I like the durability factor enough to have influenced my purchasing decision. I'm not trying to be critical of you or the Slick, I'm just trying to relate to you my process for determining my purchases, and I think a lot of people may think this way as well. So far everything I have seen in the video's points to the fact this is a very nice flying plane, I just need to see a little more capability.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:41 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I absolutely agree, but they are getting very close to the balsa planes in performance. I know my scale looking 48" Edge from Skywing is only slightly less capable in some ways, but easier to fly in other ways. It snaps and tumbles quite well, it does need a little help with the throttle to complete a pop top but can do them. I would love to see this kind of performance in this 55" size, but for me until I see this demonstrated in a video I just simply will not buy the plane because to me it's just another fairly nice flying foamy. I think I'm like a lot of potential customers and if these characteristics were well demonstrated you could sell more planes. It's up to you whether you want to demonstrate this or not, it's only to your benefit to do this. I don't expect it to compete perfectly with something like the EF MXS but if I had seen the characteristics I'm referring to I probably would have gone with your Slick because I do like the fact that it's more economical to buy and I like the durability factor enough to have influenced my purchasing decision. I'm not trying to be critical of you or the Slick, I'm just trying to relate to you my process for determining my purchases, and I think a lot of people may think this way as well. So far everything I have seen in the video's points to the fact this is a very nice flying plane, I just need to see a little more capability.
Got your concerns, will be back to you later.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:26 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,903 Posts
I did receive a PM from someone who has this plane and he said it does snap quite nicely, tumbles and pop tops not so much. Which is fine, it is a very nice looking plane and seems to hold a line very nicely and I may still add it to my fleet at some point, but I'm really holding out for one with a scale fuse since I think it will fly with a more balsa like characteristic. I know EPP will never quite fly just like balsa but I also know that they can get close enough that they can be a good enough substitute for learning and developing skills that more easily transfer to balsa which will work well for me. I don't know if you are planning anything like this but I think it would be an excellent idea. Thanks for listening to my opinion, I think this type of design will be the next hot thing and will make someone a ton of money with the right design. The reason why I would like an
MXS is for the added pitch control needed for the real extreme maneuvers and this might help the EPP overcome the difficulty in tumbling etc.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:44 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
Well, I just noticed a video of this plane in my subscription list:

Winner's Model 55in EPP Slick 360 B #2 20130120 (4 min 26 sec)

Nice down load KE and harrier passes, Mr. Liu!
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
Hi, I did get my Slick ... and it is big !!!

The wood structure seems to be very stiff as do the Wings.

Now I have two issues:

First are the servos - I have some GWS IQ-200MG laying arround - from the specs they seem to be good, what do you think ? Will they work ?

Specs:

Voltage: 4,8-6,0V; Speed(60): 0,17s (4,8V) / 0,14s (6,0V); Torque: 54Ncm (4,8V) / 64Ncm (6,0V); Weight: 28g; Size: 28x14x29,8mm

Second: I did break one of the wooden hooks (see pic) because I dropped the wing while unpacking - what do you think, how to repair it best ?

Thank you
Stephan
Moffa is offline Find More Posts by Moffa
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:29 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffa View Post
Hi, I did get my Slick ... and it is big !!!

The wood structure seems to be very stiff as do the Wings.

Now I have two issues:

First are the servos - I have some GWS IQ-200MG laying arround - from the specs they seem to be good, what do you think ? Will they work ?

Specs:

Voltage: 4,8-6,0V; Speed(60): 0,17s (4,8V) / 0,14s (6,0V); Torque: 54Ncm (4,8V) / 64Ncm (6,0V); Weight: 28g; Size: 28x14x29,8mm

Second: I did break one of the wooden hooks (see pic) because I dropped the wing while unpacking - what do you think, how to repair it best ?

Thank you
Stephan

Specs for 200MG servo looks good.

The hook is made of 2pcs 1.5mm plywood and glued overlappingly. So we just need to make another plywood hook and glue it to its original location. Not so difficult to repair it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
How deep does the hook reach into the foam ? I can not see it even with a strong light behind the wing ...

thank you Stephan
Last edited by Moffa; Jan 31, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffa View Post
How deep does the hook reach into the foam ? I can not see it even with a strong light behind the wing ...

thank you Stephan
Hi Stephan,

My suggestion to repair showed as the attached pis.

Forgive my bad drawing, thanks.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
Hello Frank.

Thank you for you answer ... as for your good drawing ...I will give it a try. And I will take pics for the forum - if I am not the only one, that brakes a hook.

Too bad we have sh*t weather here in germany ... I would have liked to test the plane this weekend.

Stephan
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:49 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,343 Posts
I ordered one Saturday last week from Mile High RC and it showed up yesterday (Wed.) Quick shipping!

Anyway, this thing is HUGE! Biggest production foamy I've seen to date. So far all I have done is take it out of the box and dry fit the parts and oogle at it. Sure is nice looking! I realy want to start on it but I have GOT to finish my Hokusei Sbach 342 first. Almost done with that one. All I have to do is install the servos and set up the radio, so it'll be pretty quick. I also have to clean out my garage. It's a disaster area! Oh well, I'm off for two and a half weeks, so lots of projects! I'm hoping to have both of them done by early next week so I can go fly. Supposed to rain here all weekend anyway, so good time for building!

So far Here's the setup I'll be using:

Winner's Model 55in Slick360 - Scheme B - Red/White/Blue/Black
Motor - Motrolfly DM3620 480/kv
ESC - CC Ice 75
Servos - Hitec HS-5245MG (x4)
Batteries - Turnigy 6s 2400mah 40C and various 3s packs in series for 6s
Prop - Not sure yet, may start with a 14x8 or 15x8

I'm realy looking forward to seeing how well the Motrolfly pulls this thing around. I'll post more as it progresses.

Cheers,
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:48 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,883 Posts
Looks good, Tim .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:48 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,651 Posts
I'm sure you'll get 1200 watts plus from that set up. Will pull it around real nicely.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa