Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:06 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
Discussion
V939 Beetle Review

Better late than never:

Mini Beetle on top of its bigger brother (which has a Mickey D's shake lid as a protective cover):

In front of it:

Along with my precious corter:

Main motor from V911\9958 compared to V939 lengthwise:

939 has a smaller diameter than the V911 main motor:

Still thicker than the V911 tail motor:

Battery Tray:

PCB:

Video to come

Inside flight is best on 60% for me. 40% doesn't have enough rudder speed. The left top button is to adjust the rates while the right button when hit, makes it flip. This is really nice and I may try this TX on the V929, although just after two flights with my V939, my V929 may start collecting dust. The propellers are the model of what I would like to see on all my heli\multi rotors. They seem to be very rubbery, which will be great fighting abrasion.

The best thing I like about the V939 so far is that there are no gears to have to worry about getting out of alignment.....simpicity at its best. The spars seem to be the same thickness as its bigger brother. I really don't see breaking anything on it anytime soon, but then again I haven't done outside flight.

The batteries get pretty warm and it seems like they are slighly puffy after a run. It may be worth it to pick up some higher C-rated and\or higher capacity batteries. I bought an 808 keychain cam from Banggood, but I may hold off until I get a better battery.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
Video is up:

New WL Toys V939 Beetle from Banggood.com (3 min 17 sec)

I like the bee buzz sound
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
Weather-permitting, I'll see if I can get some outdoor video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,545 Posts
Looks like it handles well. Thanks for the post and look foward to future flying vids.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
My pleasure. I took her out during lunch and it was pretty windy in the parking lot and I was able to control her pretty well using 60% rates.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
I tried out the Turnigy Nanotech 600mAH batteries I got for my V929 and they work great. The quad is alot more stable and I was able to actually do some circuits with the added weight. I also mounted my 808 keycam for a very short flight. I removed the internal battery and put connectors on so that I can run straight off the main battery.

Stock battery can get her off the ground with the keycam and no internal battery, but just barely. The Turnigy can carry the 808 keycam and internal battery no problem.

Short video, sorry YouTube video editor is erroring out so I can't invert it:

First 808 camera flight on my V939 micro quad (0 min 32 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
There's enough spare room in my existing V911 carrying case to accomodate the V939:

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:33 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,554 Posts
How do you run the 808 directly from the main battery? Can you take some close up photos?
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
How do you run the 808 directly from the main battery? Can you take some close up photos?
I'll post pics later, but basically I put an E-flight male connector lead on the 808, and the female end on the V939. When I tried using the stock battery I got alot of interference (looked interlaced) and video cut out as soon as throttle was applied, so I think voltage sag from the stock battery was too much.

I think the 600mAH Turnigy may have enough juice to power both sufficiently (as well as provide extra power to handle additional weight), except that I'll need to solder on a 2nd E-flight connector on the V939 board, one to get powre from my Turnigy, and the 2nd to power the 808.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
I received my V939 yesterday, and you should take this with a grain of salt as this is my first ever RC anything.

However, although I think it's awesome, I have a problem with the durability/quality of the propellers. Within the first 5 minutes, and even though I barely dared to lift it off the ground (ie. it never went higher than a 1 foot), I broke two black props within the first 5 mins. I replaced the fist and it flew fine, but I replaced the second and it was obviously not giving anywhere near the lift of the other three and would just flip if given enough lift.

Will now be ordering a LOT of spare props (ie 40 or so). They seem very fragile.

Regards,
Michal
mihalski is offline Find More Posts by mihalski
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
Does the prop you replaced spin freely? When you put them back on, make sure you back them back off just slightly as it may bind against the motor housing. FYI I broke a blade too, but it was a high-speed crash. It was also a black blade.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
Sorry, still working on getting pics of the internal battery removal mod. But I've got a slightly longer video of the cam installed and got the other video inverted (may take awhile before the edited version displays).

Had some time to kill trying to shrink a 130 Gig SQL transaction log because some $uckt@rd didn't have the maintenance plan running:

My Edited Video (0 min 32 sec)

Attempt #2 with 808 cam (1 min 24 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
808 Battery eliminator mod pics as promised:

E-Flight connector added:

E-Flight added to RX board:

Temporary mounting scheme until I can rig something more solid:

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,792 Posts
Well, some more progress. I wanted to lighten the camera some more so that the stock battery could cope with the additional weight.

Here are some weight measurements:

The internal battery is nearly 5 grams:

The Camera board is 5.6 grams:

The housing is another 5.2 grams:

I gutted the housing, shaving another 2 grams off it it and covered the open areas with foam (not shown in the picture but I used even lighter pink foam my motherboards come packed in):

The good thing is that the stock battery can cope with carrying the lighter camera better, and the rectangle I cut in the housing makes for a good mating to the underside of the stock battery holder. Before doing this, securing the camera was difficult as the casing was too slippery. Unfortunately the stock battery can't keep enough voltage to keep the camera running. A stock-sized battery with a higher C rating may work, but I just put my 600 mAH Turnigy Nanotech back in, which supplies plenty of juice to run both.

I also added a second E-Flight connector to the RX PCB so I don't have to jam the JST connector into the stock RX connector. An added benefit to this is that I can now use two of my V911 batteries in parallel if I want to:

The two weigh a little more (EDIT: they actually weigh less, I got my pictures confused, and actually seem to have more punch together than the stock 300 mAH battery (their both 130mAH Turnigy Nanotechs):

I can power out of any wobble\instability with the 2 Turnigys, whereas the stock battery just didn't have the umph to come out of it. Of course I'm sure once I get my 300mAH Nanotechs I'll experience the same thing, but it's nice to be able to reuse my other batteries.

Took her for her first outdoor flight with 808 mounted:

V939 First Outdoor Flight, 808 Keycam video (2 min 25 sec)

First crash is from a flip.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Sep 29, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
Cool! What sort of flight times do you get with the cam using the 600mah battery?
patrickza is offline Find More Posts by patrickza