HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
What's the best do-it-yourself method for moving the hub forward a couple MM's from the cowl? Assuming FMS won't have that part fixed in time for my replacement version? I'm going to need to do it to my 1700 P-47 as well.
I would either add washers behind the "X" motor mount, Between it and the fire wall, or sinply add another "X" motor mount to the 2 that are already included...(That is what I did) (You will also probably need some longer screws as well (the 4 that mount the motor to the fire wall)

Just add another one of these with some longer screws from either BH or RC-Castel

http://www.bananahobby.com/sh303-77003-prd1.html
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:34 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Gotcha thanks fellas.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Gotcha thanks fellas.
No Prob there my friend...Gots ya covered...

BTW...Working on your outer door strut wires right now
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:28 AM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,768 Posts
Corsair Disintergration

Hey Aros...mate, just saw the vid on Page 69, Ray told me about it, I'm glad you got that on vid, and the subsequent actions now occurring are a direct result of your vid, and contact with the OEM.

Sorry it had to happen to you, but I'm guessing you'll get a new one from FMS in due course.

As you stated in an earlier post, there have been some incredible advances in this hobby in the past few years, but there is obviously need for thorough and extended testing (to destruction) of certain parts.

I'm currently still trying to digest what happened.

Great stuff mate, and keep up the good work. It's through the efforts of guys like you, that the rest of us will be able to enjoy more and more trouble free enjoyment of our models.
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:37 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,800 Posts
I am glad that FMS is stepping up .
So far my experience with CMP ( China model products ) has been great , FMS Thru Phillipi has been great and LX direct communication has been humorous at best !
When visiting China I bought the original 1400 corsair from Phillipi direct .
The stabilizer was totally warped and non-fixable by standard methods .
I got back to the states discovered it and Phillip got the part from FMS and replaced it free of charge .
With CMP Jackie is first class and understands the hobby and the complexity of models .They are now more focused on making models for others more so then there own brand but none the less a good producer with good value .
I hope this incident with FMS is a wake up call to them and all of us not to take arfs on face value .
My simple point is take everyone around you with greater importance then the value of the plane your flying and it will make you change, mod , reinforce and double check your model before you fly .
When contacting LX and the USA distributor on simple constructive concerns on flying a 79" plane spinning a 18" prop- with 9 grams servos , your comments are looked upon as negative. Yes the plane is successful out of the box but why take a chance , it's not the norm and 90% of us would not build it that way if we build it as a traditional kit .
So use the rule of thumb , would I build it that way ? If not fix it , for the sake of others , especially with the flexing seen in some of the videos online in the wings , way beyond normal expectations on a 65" plus model !
All we need is for innocent bystander to get hurt and the AMA will change the rules on ARFs , the media will jump in , and the game will change in addition to the resulting tragedy of hurting someone .
I think FMS is the gold standard in epo models but none the less the 65" and larger formats are new ground for them as seen in the P51 and its need for wing reinforcement.
No soap box preaching , sincerely take care and caution in rushing your maiden flight and don't let your excitement overrule safety when doing a preflight check .
It's better to go to the field with your plane with the intent to taxi and test first , then fly !
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Make no mistake...The AMA and FAA already has this in their sights
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:53 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,413 Posts
Your so right Ldm. There's some extraordinary videos out there already that make me wonder how anyone is allowed to fly these planes in public places. Perhaps these larger 'foamies' are just too big. I hope not.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
569 Posts
Yep, I can hear the band starting up, I wonder how long it will be before the wagon arrives and everyone jumps on it.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Your so right Ldm. There's some extraordinary videos out there already that make me wonder how anyone is allowed to fly these planes in public places. Perhaps these larger 'foamies' are just too big. I hope not.
Depends if the "public place" is actually private land or not. My group of trouble makers fly in a public place, but it is private land and the company that owns it have given us permission to fly there. In this situation (in Australia at least) as long as we follow CASA guidelines and stay in visual range and below 400 ft nobody can do anything about us. It's up to us to decide what is too big and what's appropriate for the space available.

I would like to think similar kinds of exemptions exist in the US of A.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
These manufacturers have 'progressed' into an area that they don't seem to be familiar with and how vital it is to get this thoroughly sorted out. There was a book written some time back about "rising to the level of one's incompetence" and perhaps that principle is being demonstrated as we watch.

Those of us who've come up through the ranks of internal combustion model aircraft learn early on about the dangers of propeller operation, at times with alarming examples of when things go wrong and terrible injuries occur. In times past, the model magazines and contributors were always astride of keeping it of utmost importance.to minimize dangers. That kind of editorializing isn't so visible now to keep this in focus for the newer users over the much larger spectrum of media as there is presently.

Involvement and experience will help the makers get a grip on this issue. FMS has now firmly gotten into an area where the safety issue has taken a major place and priority. I hold them in good respect to this point and one of their models is my 'go to' favorite. They are not the only ones to get initiated to this. Hobby King's venture into this size also ran into serious trouble with the prop system. It was downright dangerous to even run them to full throttle static as the shuddering and vibration threatened to disintegrate the airframe from imbalance and out-of-tolerance parts. Careful rework by the user was an absolute must. I hope the factories are giving this sincere attention now.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Thanks Rob and Brandon! Great dialogue by everyone!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:38 AM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
...That kind of editorializing isn't so visible now to keep this in focus for the newer users over the much larger spectrum of media as there is presently.
This strikes a chord with me. I still consider myself a neophyte to this hobby and one of the biggest hurdles I face is finding definitive, reliable information compiled in a centralized place. There are so many sources offering instructions or advice that seems to contradict one another that is can get extremely confusing for beginners.

That video should be used a mandatory demonstration of what can happen in this hobby. It sure made me nervous about flying my P-47.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,800 Posts
I think there all good points but its not about " I fly on a private field" .
It's about safety regardless of flying alone or at a park .
The cmp spinner on the 73" p40 was known to explode , you only needed one person at one field alone and that was more then enough .
All good dialog but at the end of the day use your own good judgement regardless of what the supplier states
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
376 Posts
Just a note to those of you that have the F4U and P-47 and are planning to add spacers behind the motor mount. Be mindful of how much room you have between the molded gearbox on the dummy radial, and the bell housing of the brushless motor. I don't have either yet, but spacing out the motor will bring it closer to the dummy radial.

If what I've read is correct, in that FMS and Durafly worked together on the Durafly 1100mm series, this is already an issue on the Durafly F4U without the extra spacing!
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,793 Posts
Just add a spacer on the threaded shaft, just before the hub. That'll give you ~3mm extra.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Last edited by struggleforlife; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:10 PM.