HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,073 Posts
Contest
New F5B Hotliner class

I thought a dedicated thread might be in order for questions about the new class; set ups, requirements, basic rules, etc.

In the sticky above, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103, details can be seen about the weekend.

It's essentially a 4s class with very few restrictions, aimed at making the sport more available and easier to participate. 2 and 3 S is okay too.

epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,106 Posts
For those who don't know what the main F5B task looks like, have a look at this video;

Urs Leodolter, Switzerland F5B World Champion! (3 min 49 sec)

Then there is 10 minutes of thermal flying followed by a spot landing.

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,106 Posts
Or grafically presented;

The motor is only allowed to be run outside of the 150 meter course.

The task, get as many 150 meter lengths in as you can!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:41 PM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman View Post
I thought a dedicated thread might be in order for questions about the new class; set ups, requirements, basic rules, etc.

In the sticky above, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103, details can be seen about the weekend.

It's essentially a 4s class with very few restrictions, aimed at making the sport more available and easier to participate. 2 and 3 S is okay too.

Seems like a very good idea for having fun and maybe get some new "blood" into electric flight. We are currently discussing something similar back home to see if some interest can be brought to life as the regular F5B is totally non excisting here.

Btw, why have the 4s limit if the intention is to get as many hotliners to participate as possible in an otherwise more or less "open class" ?
OTA is offline Find More Posts by OTA
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,425 Posts
Good idea, even though I'd prefer a 2S Limit. 2S/7 cell is already flown in Belgium, France and Czechoslovakia, maybe even more...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:34 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,261 Posts
I think the limit should be a volt/mAh factor. Then one would have more choices when it comes to motors and ESCs...
2S?? Come on!!!!
Just my 2C
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:58 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,106 Posts
I've discussed this in private with Eric and i think he just wants people to come no matter what they have.

Certainly what they do in the Netherlands right now seems to work pritty well. Highest score without limiter is 33 legs. If you want a higher score, you will need to install a limiter.

But, most would be surprised how hard it is to fly 33 legs with no experiance. Even if you had a 5000W setup !!! With some experiance, 33 legs can be done with as little as 2000W i would say.

Basically, let's not get distracted by these small details. The aim is to go fly the F5B task and see how you like it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,261 Posts
Can't argue with that, Joe
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:20 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,194 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. I'd be interested if I lived closer.

SC
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA View Post
Seems like a very good idea for having fun and maybe get some new "blood" into electric flight. We are currently discussing something similar back home to see if some interest can be brought to life as the regular F5B is totally non excisting here.

Btw, why have the 4s limit if the intention is to get as many hotliners to participate as possible in an otherwise more or less "open class" ?
Thanks for the input guys. Interesting points brought up.

The original thought was keep the power down, the complexity low and reduce some of the barriers.

Most of the guys I know, that are interested in this, have 5 and 6 S setups, but are already flying on 4 s while they get the hang of of things, and later they plan to step it up.

But I see your point, and it is a very good point. I'd like to hear from the guys that are planning to attend.

It's really their race, so if they were in favor of no batt limit, there still might be time to make the change.

As for limiters, I feel that will be a self selecting process. When someone wants to move up to the next class, they'll play by the more strict rules, compete against tougher competition and be eligible for the National Title Race.

Looking forward to Race Weekend!

Cheers,

Eric

BTW pilots for the F5B Hotliner Championship include the following;
1) Don R.
2) Marco M
3) Bob D.
4) Don S.
5) Dave S.

If you are on the list and have an opinion about the 4s, say so here. Thanks, E
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Sep 16, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
431 Posts
I think 4S would be fine if I had a 1512/1D, but with the 1512/1.5D, I think 4S is a disadvantage. That being said, I'll rather have fun flying 4S at a slower speed than not getting to go out an play at all.

On another note, I'm thinking the 10 minute glide (TD) portion may not be a challenge if there is no watt limit.

After thinking about this a bit, I'd like to suggest a 60 second glide after the 200 second race. Maybe 5 points per second over or under the 60, with the 30 point spot landing still in effect. This makes the timing portion pretty critical because every second is a chunk of points.

Or maybe 3 points per second?

Just an idear.
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:52 AM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
"open class" should be just that, open for all setups but to exclude the pros to get as many as possible showing up.
Personally i fly 5s and 6S setup but have never been doing any competition.

I think Joe have a very good point in saying its difficult to fly 33 legs without experience and as such the power levels will not contribute much to whos winning. It will be the pilot skills.

From time to time i have really tried to fly legs on a virtual course and find it very difficult. With all the power I have available it doesnt make it better, i tend to use a lot of airspace

But, its FUN and thats the idea isnt it
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:26 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA View Post
"open class" should be just that, open for all setups but to exclude the pros to get as many as possible showing up.
Personally i fly 5s and 6S setup but have never been doing any competition.

But, its FUN and thats the idea isnt it
All our events in the UK are "open class". Alan has made it clear that you "fly what you brought". Why exclude the pros? They can can show the amateurs how it should be done. You don't get a league position if it is not a proper F5B plane, but we don't have prizes and it is all for fun anyway. We tend to run out of helpers before we run out of flying time.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:30 AM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shering View Post
All our events in the UK are "open class". Alan has made it clear that you "fly what you brought". Why exclude the pros? They can can show the amateurs how it should be done. You don't get a league position if it is not a proper F5B plane, but we don't have prizes and it is all for fun anyway. We tend to run out of helpers before we run out of flying time.
If thats the case its just very fine. I had an impression it was to open up for getting more people into the F5B class and that the FAI rules have been practised around quite strictly, stopping a lot of people from joining in. But to mix pros and amateurs is just perfect.

The principle of "fly what you brought" is exactly what I have been proposing in Norway too when discussing, get people together an have fun, but we see that some people tend to focus too much on the rules and thus a lot of potential attendants is dropping out. Too bad if you ask me.
In Norway, it could be difficult to arrange something even with an open class....

Anyway, I like the "UK style", and it seems like we agree on the basics
Last edited by OTA; Sep 16, 2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:16 AM
Joined May 2011
147 Posts
Would prefer battery limit by weight instead cell count.
This will reduce effective battery load by lower drain.

Why not use the "dutch system" on legal F5B events possible to choose between F5B and "sports" class.

Sports means - fly with every model you want as it is simple visible as a hotliner or similar. No use of limiter until you´re able to achieve 36 legs.

On this point it makes sense to have power limited using the device you - the amount of Wmin to be defined.

Could be also a nice event when the local judges can define specific Wmin between a range - leads to also competition in technical details - sudden adjustent of drive - not just simple buy and fly - training and understanding instead.
plastikmann is offline Find More Posts by plastikmann