HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Jun 2010
52 Posts
Thanks Gilles, The first thing I had checked was the motors and I can turn them freely with the system running. It just stopped running all at once every thing was fine one minute then just stopped working, nothing was changed or moved this board is a couple of years old I would like a recommendation on either building the same board of something you may recommend either way I think this board is fried

Thanks Pat
pjf610 is offline Find More Posts by pjf610
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 03:11 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjf610 View Post
Thanks Gilles, The first thing I had checked was the motors and I can turn them freely with the system running. It just stopped running all at once every thing was fine one minute then just stopped working, nothing was changed or moved this board is a couple of years old I would like a recommendation on either building the same board of something you may recommend either way I think this board is fried

Thanks Pat
Hi Pat
I guess I misread so it did work at least once with the GGC. I thought it worked before the GGC but not now.

Just some thoughts.
1. If not already you might join the HCNC user group for some troubleshooting the board. OR IF you built the HCNC then you probably know the basic testing.
2. Might try a reboot, reload GMFC all is running unplug the USB cable wait 5 seconds and plug it back in. I had a Windows issue where on first turning on Windows couldn't seem to find the USB. Doesn't sound like your problem but give it a go.
3. Do you still have a computer with a Parallel port to test the board without the GGC as you did a couple of years ago? Just trying to eliminate stuff.
4. Chinese Ebay boards. Sure a GGC with work with them IF the board is good. Google "how I fixed my Chinese controller" High rate of failures. IF I wanted to buy one I would try the RED board first as a better gamble. Also, they are Bipolar 4 wire and most likely you have 6 wire Unipolar motors???? If you can find the data sheet there may be an option to wire them as Bipolar but you will loose some torque.

5. Silly stuff, you have the GGC add on license installed and or not past the 30 day trial period. Won't cut after 30 days though GMFC will still function. hmmm in GMFC. lower left corner does it say Ready then Cutting?

6. Since the motors worked at least once I assume you ran the GGC utility. Ships default as the MM2001 motor pin out. You say older HCNC Pro, it should have to same motor pin out.

7. In GMFC, table config. You did choose the USB and you get a Green confirmation the GGC is recognized in the box just below USB.

all for now.
danfield is online now Find More Posts by danfield
Old May 02, 2014, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
52 Posts
Hi Dan, This is strange The License is not a problem when I was ready to get up and running I received my lic. from Gilles the first time I ran the unit everything worked the LED gave me all the info I expected one problem I have is I bought the HCNC from a customer there was no problem with this unit I ran it without the USB interface for the 30day trail. Is there anyone who repairs the HCNC board if not I will just buy one and put it together.
Thanks Pat
Old May 02, 2014, 06:34 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,770 Posts
Pat

Lets's try again. There are two Licenses, one for GMFC then an Add On for upgrading to a GGC and they are different. But, if you told GMFC to use the USB and you are not getting an error that "the cutting period is over" then I guess you have a GGC license installed. On the other hand you saw this on the LCD that is is ready.

Simple test - uplug the GGC USB cable, load GMFC and it should tell you to plug in the GGC. When you do, the lower left box in Table config should change to Green and show the GGC. At least you know the GGC is being recognized but maybe you already know this.

There used to be a guy who would build new HCNC boards for you and I think also do some repairs but I don't recall who that was.

You might make a post on the CNCFoamcutters@yahoogroups.com and see. Or the private HCNC owners list. I have never owned or built an HCNC board. There is a manual around and there should be basic testing , checking for voltage and such as you build it.
Old May 02, 2014, 07:11 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,770 Posts
Hey Wetfly

Did you figure out the speed issues? Using all your screenshots I set up a virtual table to match your settings. I then go the Supra Plans and got the tip section airfoils along with the next inner section. AG41d, Ag42d and the tip AG43d. Built the Project in GMFC. .

Two things I couldn't do, I don't know your Foam Library setup but I do know you are using Computed heat. I don't like that other than to use it to tell me how fast I can go with this or that planform

Next is Skin allowance IF any and I think this is the issue.

No skin allowance - with the Acceleration during Cut button checked, max is 3.36 - unchecked 2.23. Here you are using 1000 steps or One half turn acceleration, might be a bit much. But you are there. The issue can be on reversing direction like going around the LE but you are also using the "X" cut for the LE which IF you really have no LE lead in as shown isn't doing you much good. But I lie to GMFC all the time on foam placement. :-) I prefer No fancy LE cutting, just let the wire go around and split or trim the beds later.

So, I couldn't get anything below 3.35 or 2.23 mm/sec until I tried some Skin allowance. I don't know what you or IF you used any or what the amount might be. I tried 0.5mm first when back to Panel Cut and the Max went up to 6mm sec. Another reason I don't use Computer Controlled Heat as default Foam type Max was 4mm. ????? I have argued that one with Gilles. :-)

Back to Project, changed Skin to 0.1 mm and now the speed dropped to 1.13 with acceleration checked.

I don't know the reason why but that should be the problem. Maybe you can fudge the skin a tad and live with it since there are doublers involved in the bagging process a fraction of a mm won't be noticed anyway, like where do you want to be the most correct.

What my first guess was is the Supra Airfoils, someone else had an issue a few years ago only with the Supra but I believe Gilles fixed that.

Screen shot is with Your Table setup.
Last edited by danfield; May 02, 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:44 AM
Joined Jun 2010
52 Posts
Hi Gilles, looks like that HCNC board is NG, I have an old FoamLinx board nothing special can I use that board with the USB interface and will I be able to use the Bow Output from the USB to control the heat for the wire, also I received an e-mail from Dave @ HCNC and there 4 axis pro board no longer available. Can you offer any advice on where to purchase a board that will work with your Interface.

Thanks Pat
Old May 05, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Feb 2004
529 Posts
Hi Pat
If you can afford to get the 4 axis Gecko G540 board. It is the best option out there.
Rod
Wetafly is offline Find More Posts by Wetafly
Old May 05, 2014, 02:45 PM
Joined Jun 2010
52 Posts
CNC Board

Hi Rod, Thanks for the response the money is not a problem I just want the same functions that the HCNC had. Does the Gecko board work with the GMFC software and can I use the USB interface with it??
Old May 05, 2014, 03:36 PM
France
Joined Feb 2006
276 Posts
Quote:
Hi Rod, Thanks for the response the money is not a problem I just want the same functions that the HCNC had. Does the Gecko board work with the GMFC software and can I use the USB interface with it??
Pat,

I answered you directly by email.

If you browse through the rcgroup archive you will find a discussion about the Gecko.

Gilles
gm.cnc is offline Find More Posts by gm.cnc
Old May 05, 2014, 03:50 PM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Pat
Have you made sure the board is powered and the power supply didn't go belly up?
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old May 05, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
52 Posts
Hi RCWORKS, Yea the board is toast, I am not very technical savvy I have bin inquiring about the Gecko G540 board to make sure it is compatible with the GMFC software and Gilles said no problem I also have an old Foam Linx board that would work, It just gets confusing for me because I am not tech. savvy. FUSTRATING

Pat
PS, I really appreciate your help
Thanks
Old May 05, 2014, 05:51 PM
Disgruntled Member
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Hi RCWORKS, Yea the board is toast, I am not very technical savvy I have bin inquiring about the Gecko G540 board to make sure it is compatible with the GMFC software and Gilles said no problem I also have an old Foam Linx board that would work, It just gets confusing for me because I am not tech. savvy. FUSTRATING

Pat
PS, I really appreciate your help
Thanks
You will have to rewire unipolar motors in a bipolar configuration to use the G540.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 05:52 PM
Disgruntled Member
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
What do you want for the old board?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 05:58 PM
Joined Jun 2010
52 Posts
tell you what you help me wire the motors (cause I have no idea what you are talking about unipolar to bipolar) you can have the board
Pat
Old May 05, 2014, 06:49 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetafly View Post
Hi Pat
If you can afford to get the 4 axis Gecko G540 board. It is the best option out there.
Rod
I agree, The G540 is best board of this type on the planet. I have one on my Router and it just works. Other boards that would have worked were around say $ 130-150 ish and at the time the Gecko was $ 250 and I think it's gone up a bit so it became like a $ 100 more and well worth it. It is a bit of overkill for a Hot Wire machine but if in the budget you can't go wrong.

But, it's also a 4 wire ( Bipolar motors ) so you will need new motors OR , find the data sheet for your motors and see IF they have an option to rewire as 4, some do and some don't.

Shame HCNC Pro has gone the way of the HCNC Foam Pro.

1. Ebay Blue Chinese - hmmmm only if you're feeling really lucky other wise stay away. Also 4 wire

2. Red Chinese - I have been thinking of getting one just to test but have not done so.

3. Making your own MM2001 will still cost around $ 100 with etching chemicals.

4. I have a MM2001 Kit I bought for a back up years ago but never needed it. Board is all premade but the buttons, motor resistors and such need to be soldered not unlike building an HCNC board. We can talk if you're interested. Will use the same 6 wire motors.

5. Pretty sure Gilles told you any normal Step/direction board will work with the GGC v2

6. There are a couple of other boards out there the CNCRouter Guys use and some are modular so you need 4 plus a Breakout Board and now you're up around $150 + ish again.