SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2015, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by Bhodi11
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
1,051 Posts
What mixture is used for the smoke? Is it DIY? System looks very cool!
Bhodi11 is online now Find More Posts by Bhodi11
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by feda
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
What mixture is used for the smoke? Is it DIY? System looks very cool!
My understanding is that the mixture is glycerin and water.

Do beta testers have anything to say about the new version? Are there any new videos to show?

Where can we order the new system? On mrrcsound.com or motionrc.com?

Given that suffficient current can be provided to the smoke generator and the motor of the plane, can both run on a single 6S pack?

Life Brand Glycerin USP is what I can purchase from our local drug store. It's probably not 100% glycerin. Is it good for the generator?
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Joined Feb 2012
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
My understanding is that the mixture is glycerin and water.

Do beta testers have anything to say about the new version? Are there any new videos to show?

Where can we order the new system? On mrrcsound.com or motionrc.com?

Given that suffficient current can be provided to the smoke generator and the motor of the plane, can both run on a single 6S pack?

Life Brand Glycerin USP is what I can purchase from our local drug store. It's probably not 100% glycerin. Is it good for the generator?
Sorry for the late reply guys. Been busy here.

You are correct, it is glycerin and water. The glycerin you show in the picture should be fine. It is USP, that means food grade. Not needed, but will work just fine. I recommend a bottled water, distilled or a at least something that has been filtered so that minerals will not build up on the heating elements.

The smoke system draws about 20A at the start and within a few seconds settles back to about 13A for the rest of the run. If you have a battery with enough of a C rating, I do not see why it could not be used off the main flight battery, although I have not tried it.

I have been doing most of the beta testing myself. Just not enough time to send out units and have them done. The basics are the same as the first version, so it puts out nearly identical amounts of smoke. I tried to increase it, but at this time, it is the most that I can do.

Motion should have them in hand tomorrow, not sure when they will be up on their page. I will have them available beginning tomorrow. Limited supplies at first to see how well they sell. Either from me, or from Motion is fine.

A few tips and things to remember:

It will NOT produce as much smoke as an IC engine with a smoke system. The power requirements for that I just don't believe is possible.

Blue skies are almost a must. Either that or a dark background such as trees/hill. Against cloudy skies the smoke gets lost and blends in.

High sun angles are also recommended, dusk or dawn is not good as it does not back light the smoke as well.

Medium speeds. Fast speeds will result in not enough of a trail, thins it out too much.

Wingtip smoke is awesome, as it is out of the prop wash. If you need or want it along the center line, pipe it out near the tail as far from the prop wash as you can.

I will see if I can gather videos of customers withe the previous version.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by feda
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,280 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

In one of your earlier posts, you mentioned a trade-off between the density of the generated smoke and its duration. Does it mean there is still potential to increase the density at the expense of the duration? I am willing to cut the duration further (say by 50%) in exchange of significantly increasing the density if there is a way to achieve that.

Best regards,

Max
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda