Find More Posts by east6008
Morell, PEI, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
537 Posts
Discussion
Bill Winter and power soaring

Just for The Fun of It---was a monthly column in Model Aviation by
Bill Winter. Many times he talked about soaring power models based on
a pre-determined number of clicks on the throttle stick.
I think as an old timer with likely diminished eyesight (like mine)
Bill liked models like the Midwest Sniffer because they were easier
to see than a skinny wing glider.
Has anybody come along to take over from Bill?
I wish his Just for The Fun of It columns were published together,
I really liked his humor and his flight stories.
east6008 is offline Find More Posts by east6008
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
513 Posts
Boy oh boy ! "I second that emotion" of having someone consolidate Bill Winters' For What its Worth columns. There were pearls of wisdom in most of them or else at least a good story.

Today editorials are just embellished indexes; "this ARF WWII fighter is reviewed by Looie Balooie who has been in the hobby for over two years(!) and has assembled more than eleven things - right out of the box!"

Ask me if I miss Bill Winters and RCM - go ahead.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,674 Posts
I think it might just be the "old curmudgeon squad" that would enjoy that sort of writing these days. The present fliers, as opposed to builders, that have flooded the hobby don't seem to be looking for that sort of comraderie. Or perhaps it's the fact that the hobby is now as commercialized as selling tennis rackets and running shoes due to the "buy and fly" nature of the direction it's moved towards.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
I think it might just be the "old curmudgeon squad" that would enjoy that sort of writing these days. The present fliers, as opposed to builders, that have flooded the hobby don't seem to be looking for that sort of comraderie. Or perhaps it's the fact that the hobby is now as commercialized as selling tennis rackets and running shoes due to the "buy and fly" nature of the direction it's moved towards.
Fortunately, aeromodelling, that is to say, the hobby-sport of building and flying model airplanes, is still very strong. Just check model kit manufacturers who still make kits. And they are in business because their kits SELL BY HUNDREDS, PERHAPS THOUSANDS. Check also IC model engines and model accessories companies who have been in business for several years. (Dubro was founded in 1959!!). Let's don't forget that Guillows has been in business since 1926 and Cleveland Model and Supply Co. sells plans from kits they used to make since 1919!!!
People who buy ARFS are not aeromodellers. They are just people who like to spend their money in expensive toys which are far away from the real aeromodelling activity.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jul 22, 2015, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by pogo64
United States, NH, Portsmouth
Joined Oct 2007
4 Posts
Bill Winters

had a saying about fellow modelers - " he gets his knees muddy"..... I'm proud to be one of them.
pogo64 is offline Find More Posts by pogo64
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,119 Posts
My knees hurt too much, so I use a table. Still start my engines by hand though.
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:19 AM
Morell, PEI, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
537 Posts
Bill Winter would like a lot todays ARF's--he wrote about the early German
powered gliders and loved them.
Bill would sure like my ST Models DG 1000 ARF, with the retractable power pod,
he would hear the sound of the doors slamming shut at high altitude, and take
a puff on his pipe as worked a thermal.
I'm a scratch builder with experience, but I would not tackle that power pod
retract apparatus.
Incidentally, if you like Bill's writing, look for his pilot reports on full size
aircraft in old Air Trails magazines
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by old1104
Joined Nov 2013
200 Posts
Quote:
People who buy ARFS are not aeromodellers. They are just people who like to spend their money in expensive toys which are far away from the real aeromodelling activity.
I would never say those who buy ARFS are not aeromodellers. Many more ARFS are sold than kits to day. Some of the ARFS are really nice planes and are not expensive. I really like the scale ARFS being produced today. The details are evry good and they fly very good. However; Most RC sailplanes of contest quality are expensive ARFS.

Now I still build my own planes but I also would never have gotten back into flying if it were not for affordable RC ARFS. I flew one for three years while I learned to fly RC. I now fly RC Gliders that I build which are 10 foot gliders but just I purchased a 12 foot ARF glider for less than the materials I would purchase to build it.

Art
old1104 is online now Find More Posts by old1104
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:13 AM
Find More Posts by ukengineman
United Kingdom, England, Richmond
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
I have been flying RC models for over 50 years, I started with single channel when I was at school. Back then you had to build the models so I often only had one model to fly due to building time. Nowadays I have a foot in two camps, one is vintage models which is very much about the plane and the building, the other is aerobatics which is about the flying. For the aerobatic side of the hobby I unashamedly use ARTF's and have several. Now am I an aeromodeller when I am persuing my vintage interests but not when I am flying an aerobatic model? As far as I am concerned I am just an aeromodeller.
ukengineman is offline Find More Posts by ukengineman
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
769 Posts
To each his own I guess. I started modeling in the 40's with stick and tissue models. Progressed from there to hollow log control line models. I have scratch built almost all of my planes either from my own plans or others. For me, it is the building and flying both together. When I am building, that seems to be the most important and when I am flying that is the thing. I did fly R/C pattern for 25 years, but now fly mostly control line and old free flights with a radio. Most are powered with old 40's ignition engines that I love to run. Most of the control line guys build their own models because in competition it is required, at least at the Nationls level. Many are fabulous builders and finishers as the finish counts 20 points toward your overall score.

It seems like good model writers are a thing of the past. Guys like Bill Winter, Chuck Cunningham, Clarence Lee, and Don Dewey are far and few between. They were all the ones that kept us dreaming of that next model. So sad but true. At 75 I still enjoy the hobby at a much more relaxed pace. Between building I work on old sparkers for others which is a labor of love for me. I need to use Bill Winters purple plan one and go build something. I miss those guys.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Today, 05:42 AM
Morell, PEI, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
537 Posts
I dug into my scrap books and my Bill Winter section, and posted
some shots here, you have to use ctrl and your mouse wheel to
enlarge, or open them in windows photo viewer to use the enlarge slider.

The last shot shows Bill enthusing about a Robbe ARF motorglider.

One of my most prized letters is from Bill, on the subject of power soaring
Old Today, 05:46 AM
Morell, PEI, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
537 Posts
aw gosh sorry, the print was readable when I did the snips,
will redo on a proper scanner