HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:43 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
I have come to like laminated "monoblocks" better anyway. They are much stronger.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2010, 11:12 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,534 Posts
I now use my hot wire cutter for monoblocks. I'm planning to build a scroll saw version with a rip fence and mitre capabilities... just haven't had the time.

Otherwise, the easiest method I've found is a coping saw with a very fine toothed blade (28tpi or higher). Leave some excess then smooth with a sanding block and 220 grit paper.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Aug 08, 2010, 11:22 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,534 Posts
Speaking of BB's, I'm planning a variant of the BB42. A 1/9th scale 1941 Taylorcraft BC12. Wingspan will be stretched a bit to 48".

Just starting the drawings now.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Aug 08, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 12:30 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2009
261 Posts
just wanted to report another successful BB maiden flight.
We had higher wind than I normally would have liked for a maiden, but since I knew the model I knew it wouldnt do anything funny.
Still on the first battery pack my friend managed take offs, landings, loops and general wind fighting.
mission accomplished: Another person addicted!
Ierwin is offline Find More Posts by Ierwin
Old Aug 08, 2010, 04:38 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazydog View Post
How did you cut the block?
I had great results with a straight-edge bread knife like this:

marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Aug 08, 2010, 07:19 PM
USA, Concord NC
Joined Aug 2010
37 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll give the bread knife a try. Keep my eyes peeled for an electric craving knife too.
Hazydog is offline Find More Posts by Hazydog
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:52 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
Hi guys, I have been a fan of the blu-baby for a couple of years now. I currently have a blu-baby 33 and a 42 with ailerons. I love this plane.

I have been working on a pusher prop plane that has monoblock construction similar to the blu-baby.

My most recent design changes I made to the Yeti (that's what I called it) include using the wing from the blu-baby 33.

I first made the fuselage for the Kfm3 Sport wing, and I just made and adapter to let me use the UC wing.
AltonMan is online now Find More Posts by AltonMan
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:52 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
The Yeti - Version 2, Undercambered Wing (2 min 38 sec)
AltonMan is online now Find More Posts by AltonMan
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:33 PM
Rochester, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
26 Posts
I was repairing my 42" blu-baby today which involved gluing in the firewall... however, after the glue set I saw that the motor was pointed downward a bit... about 15 degrees or so from where I would normally put it. I've heard people say that shimming the thrust downward a bit helps, but is this too much? I'd rather not rip off the firewall again if I don't have to, and I have no idea what the thrust angle affects.
TD-Linux is offline Find More Posts by TD-Linux
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:11 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Any off axis of a motor will pull the nose of the plane in the direction of the offset when power is increased.

15 degrees sounds like way too much.

High wing, tractor, planes normally use some right thrust to offset the prop blast effect on the vertical stab and the roll effect of the motor torque reaction. They also commonly have some down thrust to balance the wings tendency to pull the nose up with increased speed. When the offsets are right the plane just accelerates forward and begins a shallow climb when power is increased. Like wise the plane maintains heading and just lowers the nose when power is removed. If the thrust angle is wrong the plane will pull right or left and up or down when the throttle setting is changed. You can fly it but it takes alot more stick motion to keep it headed in the desired direction.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Hey TD, is your motor mounted so you can get some washers behind it? If the 15 degrees is too much, maybe you can put a few washers behind the lower mounts to help angle it back upwards a bit. Then maybe you won't have to pull the firewall completely back out.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
is there any difference performance wise between the 2 different stabs you can use for the bb 33??
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Nice little plane there Alton! Looks kinda like a cross between the BB and Tony's Tuffy. Looks like she flies pretty good but maybe a little tail heavy with the up attitude it seems to have. Looks good though dude!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94 View Post
is there any difference performance wise between the 2 different stabs you can use for the bb 33??
nope, just what style you prefer, old-time or modern.

Troy
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:48 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
555 Posts
im gonna stick with the old time feel with mine, so im gonna paint it like a j3 cub
yellow lol
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member