HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:57 PM
Joined Jan 2014
49 Posts
Discussion
Safe LiPo disposal of battery that was in a plane for three days

Hello,

One of my planes was stuck in a tree for three days. After I managed to get the plane back, the battery (a 3S, 1000 mAh LiPo) shows 0.1 V on one cell, and about 1.25 V each on the two other cells. There is no physical damage to the battery as far as I can tell.

How do I safely discharge and dispose of this?

I guess I could attach a resistor on the balance connector to slowly discharge the two cells that still have some voltage left. I'm not an expert at this, but a 100 Ω resistor would limit the current to 25 mA and the power dissipation to a few dozen milliwatts. Of course it will take a while.

Or is the resistance too high in this case to successfully drain the battery?

Any other suggestions?
fred256 is online now Find More Posts by fred256
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,010 Posts
Anything below 2.5V/cell is D E A D. 0% energy left.
If it were mine I'd just toss it. However, if you want to, you can put any resistor across the main power leads and leave it for a day.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:48 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,246 Posts
Yeah, close enough to dead that, I'd just strip the leads and twist them together. Might get a few sparks, but it will have so little energy it won't even get warm. Then throw it in the trash.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:50 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,728 Posts
hey, why toss?? i had the same thing happen to mine. it flew into a tree 50 feet up and was fully charged at the moment. Lights were blinking all that day and all night, then 2 days later, i got city hall to get the plane for me from the tree.

battery was 0 volts total and was completely dead. I charged it up and it charged fine, still flying my airplane AND my heli. battery fits into either one. over 100 flights put through it since then..

battery is 2400 mah 3s 25C

here's the pic of internal resistance.

it's not exactly new anymore, but like i said, it survived complete "discharge of death" and many cycles down to LVC when i was learning to fly helis. This is where I use the pack and it still flies alright..

my cessna...

and the little guy on the left (450 CP heli)
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Oct 18, 2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
The battery is useless now except for powering a lawn tool. If you had a ESR meter that load tests the pack and each cell you could measure the cell resistance. It is probably well over 50 milliohms. A new pack should be less than 5.

Just discharge and throw in the trash. I use an old style 1157 bulb (tail light) with leads soldered to it to fully discharge the pack. Of course, do so in safe environment like outside on concrete.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:30 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,758 Posts
I once accidentally left a 3s 2200mAh battery connected in a model after flying and it was two or tree days before I discovered my mistake. The battery showed zero voltage.
I recovered it using the normal NiMh charge procedure. The battery recovered successfully, no puffing and all cells showed similar internal resistance to other identical batteries that had not been over-discharged. In flight it performs exactly like the other batteries.
Here's the cruncher.....The over-discharge incident was about two years ago and the battery continues to perform the same as the others, in fact I'm not even sure which battery was over discharge anymore as the mark i put on it wore off ages ago.

I've recovered two or three similar batteries over the years.

On the other hand I tried to recover a similarly over discharged battery and one cell puffed up and remained dead, so it doesnt work every time but based on my experience it's worth a go.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I once accidentally left a 3s 2200mAh battery connected in a model after flying and it was two or tree days before I discovered my mistake. The battery showed zero voltage.
I recovered it using the normal NiMh charge procedure. The battery recovered successfully, no puffing and all cells showed similar internal resistance to other identical batteries that had not been over-discharged. In flight it performs exactly like the other batteries.
Here's the cruncher.....The over-discharge incident was about two years ago and the battery continues to perform the same as the others, in fact I'm not even sure which battery was over discharge anymore as the mark i put on it wore off ages ago.

I've recovered two or three similar batteries over the years.

On the other hand I tried to recover a similarly over discharged battery and one cell puffed up and remained dead, so it doesnt work every time but based on my experience it's worth a go.

Measure the cell balance and cell resistance and come back and post the results. If what you say is true it is a first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:50 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Measure the cell balance and cell resistance and come back and post the results. If what you say is true it is a first.
I measured the cell resistance with my iCharger 3010b at the time. It was no different to any of the other identical (Gens Ace) batteries i have. I've flown the battery many times in the subsequent couple of years in high demand applications such as 3D models and in 450 size helis and performance is identical to all the rest of the batteries, in fact the model prop hanging in my sig could well be flying on that very battery. I'm afraid I cant re-test the i.r. now because (two years later) I cant tell which battery was over discharged, but all of them are still performing very well considering their age and cycles.

I've no reason to lie about this. I've recovered at least a couple of similar batteries with no apparent damage, but as i said in the last post I've also experienced at least one battery that wouldnt recover at all, so it's a lottery.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:48 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,903 Posts
It's a lottery as Jetplane says. I bought 4 Rhino 5000ma 5 cell batts from HK a number of yrs ago and on one batt, one cell had 1.5 volts. I put it on the old FMA Balance Pro charger and plugged it into the computer to monitor it. It took 4 hrs to bring that one cell up to match the rest of them. I should have marked the batt to keep track of it but didn't. Now, all the batts run the same and I don't know which batt it was..
On the other side, I had a heli that went down in the bush and wasn't found for two weeks. I charged it up using the method mentioned above. It lasted about 6 months when it started to puff. Each time I charged it after that, it expanded a little more. After about 3 charges, I discharged it and dumped it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
I would try to revive it. Then fully charge it and drive a nail through it. Enjoy the show x
CrashnBurn420 is online now Find More Posts by CrashnBurn420
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:53 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I measured the cell resistance with my iCharger 3010b at the time. It was no different to any of the other identical (Gens Ace) batteries i have. I've flown the battery many times in the subsequent couple of years in high demand applications such as 3D models and in 450 size helis and performance is identical to all the rest of the batteries, in fact the model prop hanging in my sig could well be flying on that very battery. I'm afraid I cant re-test the i.r. now because (two years later) I cant tell which battery was over discharged, but all of them are still performing very well considering their age and cycles.

I've no reason to lie about this. I've recovered at least a couple of similar batteries with no apparent damage, but as i said in the last post I've also experienced at least one battery that wouldnt recover at all, so it's a lottery.

I know you have no reason to lie about this. I did not mean to impugn your character or motivation. Maybe it is a random act.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
It's a lottery as Jetplane says. I bought 4 Rhino 5000ma 5 cell batts from HK a number of yrs ago and on one batt, one cell had 1.5 volts. I put it on the old FMA Balance Pro charger and plugged it into the computer to monitor it. It took 4 hrs to bring that one cell up to match the rest of them. I should have marked the batt to keep track of it but didn't. Now, all the batts run the same and I don't know which batt it was..
On the other side, I had a heli that went down in the bush and wasn't found for two weeks. I charged it up using the method mentioned above. It lasted about 6 months when it started to puff. Each time I charged it after that, it expanded a little more. After about 3 charges, I discharged it and dumped it.

Gord.

Gord,
The second case is the norm for me.
Bill
RCG Plus Member