HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:50 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
New Product
ST Model Acrobat 3D Aerobatic EP

Well let me start by saying that many folks who own ST branded products or re-branded ones under the Ripmax, Flyzone, or Tower Hobbies label know that they can be hit or miss. Wondering how this one is going to fair?

For some reason this one keeps tugging at me. It reminds me of World Models Handy King. As a matter of fact I have been thinking of getting a Handy King as I already have a Handy Man and it is a nice light 3d bird. This just might fit the bill for a little less.

For the money it is quite attractive. A 4s set up with a brushless motor, 50 amp esc and four 17g servos all included. With Towers coupons this one can be had for around $145 shipped. Even cheaper with an additional $10 purchase.(Current club offer is $25 off $170 purchase.)

Now to decide weather or not to pull the trigger...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMTU&P=NW
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 06:42 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
I have seen some videos of the guys in Europe flying these and they seem to fly very well. I too am ready to pull the trigger on this one.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
Well I did. Should be here today. I will post some pics!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
WOW! Its HUGE!

Well let me start off by saying that this plane is much bigger than I expected! I mean it is huge!

Here are photos of the unboxing. It is all bolt together which is something that interested me. It has nice reusable foam formers in the box that will allow me to repack and take on vacations. Just what my wife wants to hear.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
From my first impressions I must conclude that the quality is typical to that of ST Models with the exception of one thing. The foam on the wings is alligatored pretty bad. It is a hollow wing like is used on the Flyzone Sensei but no where near as pretty. The fuse is fine but the tail surfaces exhibit some of the bumpiness the wings do. Not sure if this is just a bad batch or if that is how they will be.

The hardware and plastic parts seem very nice. ST seems to do a lot of little neat things like Multiplex does with the integration of plastic parts into the foam. The gear mount is ingenious, the ailerons have some sort of pin hinge and move effortlessly. There are plastic hinge pieces integrated into the foam tail surfaces and so on. The way the two haves of the elevator attach may become problematic as well as I think it should have some carbon added to stiffen it up a little.

The servos are indeed metal gear. The servos might even be digital from the high pitched singing sound they make when you move them. They look to be about the same size as a Hitec HS-82MG.

I am not sure what size the motor is. It looks like a bell type and has a pretty big diameter can. I can say that static power seems very impressive.

Speaking of Multiplex, I have changed my opinion as to what other model this reminds me of. For sure the Acromaster. Pretty much a blown up version with SFG's.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
Assembled Model

The table it is setting on comfortably sets eight.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:54 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
From my first impressions I must conclude that the quality is typical to that of ST Models with the exception of one thing. The foam on the wings is alligatored pretty bad. It is a hollow wing like is used on the Flyzone Sensei but no where near as pretty. The fuse is fine but the tail surfaces exhibit some of the bumpiness the wings do. Not sure if this is just a bad batch or if that is how they will be.

The hardware and plastic parts seem very nice. ST seems to do a lot of little neat things like Multiplex does with the integration of plastic parts into the foam. The gear mount is ingenious, the ailerons have some sort of pin hinge and move effortlessly. There are plastic hinge pieces integrated into the foam tail surfaces and so on. The way the two haves of the elevator attach may become problematic as well as I think it should have some carbon added to stiffen it up a little.

The servos are indeed metal gear. The servos might even be digital from the high pitched singing sound they make when you move them. They look to be about the same size as a Hitec HS-82MG.

I am not sure what size the motor is. It looks like a bell type and has a pretty big diameter can. I can say that static power seems very impressive.

Speaking of Multiplex, I have changed my opinion as to what other model this reminds me of. For sure the Acromaster. Pretty much a blown up version with SFG's.
Agreed when I first saw the plane I thought Visionaire and when I saw it fly I thought Acromaster.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:55 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
The table it is setting on comfortably sets eight.
Looks nice for sure.... and I like this size for a big floaty 3D bird running on a 4s 2200.
Last edited by kydawg1; Sep 30, 2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
Qiuck Maiden Video

Put six or so flights on it today. Absolute blast. It flys like my Visionaire did only it doesn't have a gyro and is about three quarters to a third again as big. Hovers easily, harier's without rock. Spins and waterfalls all good. Knife edge and precision flight is quite clean.

ST Models Acrobat (3 min 43 sec)
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:12 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
879 Posts
Will it fly on 3S?

I am considering this for 3S. Do you have an idea if this would fly okay on 3S with maybe a 12x6 prop. Just wondering of hand before I buy it. I have so many 3s and 6s batteries but no 4s.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
Probably. You would have to prop up. Probably a 14x6? CG would have to be addressed as well. Battery compartment is designed for the common 4s 2200's so putting a bigger 3s may be a bit of a challenge.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 06:48 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
879 Posts
FentonFlyers,

Thanks for the response.

I ordered it last night. Hopefully, I'll get decent performance on 3S with a prop change and I'll be happy. The worst case would be I have to purchase some 4S packs.

With any luck, maybe it will arrive this week but Tower seems to take a couple of days before they even ship orders. I've had 3 St Models powered gliders before and I have been very happy with the performance. Looking forward to getting this!
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2,079 Posts
Awesome RMS! If anything the 4s 2200 packs are reasonable in price. I sort of wonder if the speed they get things out the door has to do with the shipping zones? I have noticed that many of the folks who have experienced slow shipping from Tower live along the eastern part of the country. I typically get my stuff within a day or two. I ordered my Arcus over the weekend and it will arrive today.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
Mine arrives today.... looks like she flies nicely.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 07:20 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
Well received mine today.... Like the size.... hate the quality. ST Models makes such garbage quality planes it really is a shame and even more a shame that TOWER HOBBIES continues to sell them.

I have had bad luck with many models from them. Maybe this one has taught me not to try again after this.

As far as this one goes, lots of surface damage (gouges and scrapes) all decals peeling up. I peeled all decals right as I was pulling parts from the box. What a mess this one is. I am also unimpressed by how flimsy the fuse is... thin walled in many places. Lightweight yes, but fragile.

Only forgiving grace will be good performance. We will see. Enough whining for now.