SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:54 AM
United States, MI, Tuscola
Joined Oct 2006
51 Posts
Discussion
Problems with new DX6 and Orange Receivers

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone else out there is having a problem with the new DX6 Tx and the Orange Rx's? The problem I'm having is this. I've got a number of planes with the Orange DSM2 6 channel and Orange ORX 7 channel DSM2 receivers. These planes were flown previously with my DX7 Tx and performed flawlessly. I can bind these same planes to the new DX6 Tx and when I range check them I cannot get past maybe 15-20 feet and they stop working. Needless to say, I do not fly them as they don't pass the range check. I've also got Spektrum Rx's which I use with the new DX6 and they bind and range check just fine. That leads me to believe that the Tx is not at fault here. The reason I bought the DX6 is so that I can put all my planes on one radio. I'm really curious as to what is going on here. Did Spektrum change anything in regard to the Tx as far as the signal it sends out? Just trying to find out if anyone else has run into this and what is going on. Thanks in advance.

Joel
Slavko is offline Find More Posts by Slavko
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:26 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
301 Posts
I'm using new DX6 with OrangeRx R800X with no issues, but thats DSMX, I have done a few flights with a foamie which has an OrangeRx 6ch DSM2 receiver, I think its an AR620 from memory, which seemed fine.

Have you checked a geniune spektrum rx in DSM2, its possible its an issue with the DX6, although not sure why it would only affect DSM2 not DSMX as I thought they went out through the same RF board.
jblackmore is offline Find More Posts by jblackmore
Old Oct 02, 2014, 01:21 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Seems like there is a post a day on this but very few seem to be having these issues.

my most recent post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3688
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 03, 2014, 04:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackmore View Post
I'm using new DX6 with OrangeRx R800X with no issues, but thats DSMX, I have done a few flights with a foamie which has an OrangeRx 6ch DSM2 receiver, I think its an AR620 from memory, which seemed fine.

Have you checked a geniune spektrum rx in DSM2, its possible its an issue with the DX6, although not sure why it would only affect DSM2 not DSMX as I thought they went out through the same RF board.
3 crashes this week using my DX6 with genuine DSM2 rx's
Each of them with well sorted models and preceded by a general lack of "connection" for want of a better phrase with the model.
One of my club-mates had a similar issue with his DX6 in June (3 of us bought them when they first came out) and had his exchanged by Horizon.
The consensus locally seems to be that there is some kind of issue with the new DX6 and DSM2, with some even suggesting a deliberate ploy to derail Orange (although I can't think why Horizon would want to avoid compatability with their own past products.) Certainly, I haven't had an issue when using DSMX, but I'm not risking any more models until Horizon (UK) have responded to my satisfaction and the lovely new DX6 will remain on the shelf until then while I dabble in the twilight zone that is Taranis!!
union1 is online now Find More Posts by union1
Old Oct 03, 2014, 09:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
Prior to first crash what was the range test result with that model?

What's the range testing with other none crashed models? Maybe something's wrong with RF?

What OEM receiver was it that you crashed? Lots of fake or cloned Rx out there.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 04, 2014, 05:37 AM
Joined Oct 2004
201 Posts
Range test 25-30 meters (ish) using the same rx's in the afflicted models as before; 2x AR6200 + satellite and an AR600 all genuine items. The only change was rebinding to the new transmitter.
Old Oct 04, 2014, 06:23 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
That sounds like a failed range test to me. Should be 30 or more, range test is a go no go test.

You should contact service and see what they say about it.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 04, 2014, 07:53 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
301 Posts
I thought AR6200 was widely considered to be a bad receiver (as AR6100 and I think AR500 were also) and I wouldn't use them in anything I wanted back.

AR600 I wasn't aware of problems, but the fact that a few people are having huge problems with new DX6 looks like a QC issue with those tx's to me, if the DX6 design was inherantly flawed we would hear a lot more about it.

I also have to say of the 3 crashes, only the first one is down to equipment, you should not keep flying when you know there is an issue, after the second crash to fly a third time (and crash) is unacceptably poor judgement
Old Oct 04, 2014, 09:33 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,020 Posts
Gee, I hope the AR6200 isn't bad - it's what I have the most of!!! (HINT: It's not bad). There are COUNTERFEIT AR6200's out there, and those ARE bad and not just from the moral standpoint.

The AR6250 was the only receiver we ever had a recall for. The AR600 is a very good receiver, the AR610 is better because of the dual receivers and amplified antenna.

Different products for different applications.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,750 Posts
I've never had a problem with a 600 or 6200. I did have issues with a single AR6100 but it was the only 6100 that I bought used so it might have been a counterfeit. Those issues didn't show up until I replaced my DX7 with a DX8. There were rumors back then that Spektrum had done something to kill the clones but this can also happen completely naturally since the clone or fake maker doesn't have access to internal specs, all they can do is test with transmitters that exist and HOPE those existing transmitters cover the entire scope of operation/protocol/behavior.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 04, 2014, 10:38 AM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,782 Posts
610 has dual receivers - really???

It is a good receiver though.
teamdavey is online now Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Oct 04, 2014, 11:20 AM
Joined Oct 2004
201 Posts
Quote:

I also have to say of the 3 crashes, only the first one is down to equipment, you should not keep flying when you know there is an issue, after the second crash to fly a third time (and crash) is unacceptably poor judgement
Thanks for the opinion.
I hadn't considered the transmitter to be a problem until I worked out that the crashes all involved DSM2 receivers. In between times I had many flights without problems, just turns out that in hindsight these were all with DSMX gear.
You know what they say...first time happen-stance, second time coincidence, third time enemy action!
I'll be sending my DX6 to Horizon for inspection.
Old Oct 04, 2014, 11:51 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Gee, I hope the AR6200 isn't bad - it's what I have the most of!!! (HINT: It's not bad). There are COUNTERFEIT AR6200's out there, and those ARE bad and not just from the moral standpoint.
I had an AR6200 which came with my DX6i so was 100% genuine, I had glitches with it so passed it onto a friend who wanted to try it out, and also had issues so it was retired to the bin, another guy in the club also had radio problems and I asked if it was an AR6200 - it was, he swapped and no more issues - I just googled AR6200 problem and get 23,500 matches, pages and pages of people having difficulties.

Still, glad yours are all fine Andy - you'd think Horizon would pay enough (and give staff discount) that you'd have more up to date gear though
Old Oct 04, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,750 Posts
When you use google as your problem indicator, you do tend to get much higher results for anything popular and/or been around for awhile. You'll also notice if you look at some of those you'll find words like "no" in front of problem and sometimes problem appears in a question etc. And the third one I clicked on was apparently about a fake. Another one I clicked on wasn't sure which way the leads were supposed to go etc...
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 04, 2014, 12:08 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,020 Posts
Quote:
Still, glad yours are all fine Andy - you'd think Horizon would pay enough (and give staff discount) that you'd have more up to date gear though
I bought most of them before coming to Horizon in 2008.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor